3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2007 1:00 PM by Newsgroup_User

Spry Widgets compatibility

mek113
      I'm new to Spry Widgets and before I start in on learning how they work, I'd like to know how compatible they are with all browsers. Will user's need to download anything? Will they get the ActiveX message like javascript and flash components? In other words, why would I want to use Spry Widgets rather than Flash or javascript?
        • 1. Re: Spry Widgets compatibility
          Level 7
          "mek113" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:fbruuf$56$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > I'm new to Spry Widgets and before I start in on learning how they work,
          > I'd
          > like to know how compatible they are with all browsers. Will user's need
          > to
          > download anything? Will they get the ActiveX message like javascript and
          > flash
          > components? In other words, why would I want to use Spry Widgets rather
          > than
          > Flash or javascript?

Spry widgets are nothing more than DHTML (JavaScript). They work the same as
          any other DHTML. If you like the way they work in your target browsers and
          the ease of which they are able to be made and modified inside Dreamweaver,
          then, by all means, use them. There is, however, nothing really unique about
          them beyond that they are simply new Javascript behaviors included with
          Dreamweaver CS3. I believe they will work well in most modern browsers, but
          to so well in some older browsers such as IE5.

--
          Al Sparber - PVII
          http://www.projectseven.com
          Extending Dreamweaver - Nav Systems | Galleries | Widgets
          Authors: "42nd Street: Mastering the Art of CSS Design"

• 2. Re: Spry Widgets compatibility
            mek113 Level 1
            Thanks for the reply Al. I was just looking at your PVII website - looks like you provide some great tools that can do what I want to do with menus. I'll try the DW-provided option of Spry first but may have to drop some bucks for your software later on.
            • 3. Re: Spry Widgets compatibility
              Level 7
              mek113 wrote:

> Thanks for the reply Al. I was just looking at your PVII website - looks like
              > you provide some great tools that can do what I want to do with menus. I'll
              > try the DW-provided option of Spry first but may have to drop some bucks for
              > your software later on.
              >

I would go with the PVII tools. They have been extensively tested by
              the beta testors and will work in all modern day browsers. Plus, they
              provide free support.

Bob