1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 7, 2010 11:38 AM by 370H55V

Saving a fillable form back to its current location

txturner

I am trying to find out how to force adobe to save forms filled in by a user back to where the form is currently located, rather than to the user's hard drive.  I keep my forms on a server that all users have access to - they click on a link that I provide and it opens the form.  The user is simply required to make a digital signature to the form then save it for further processing.  Despite the form being located on the server, hitting "save" will only bring up a window asking the user where they want to save the form to (it defaults to their My Documents folder).  Is there a way to force adobe to save back to the original file location when they hit save? The form is a custom designed form in Acrobat, so if there is a setting that needs to be specified to accomplish this, I can do that.  Thanks.

JT

• 1. Re: Saving a fillable form back to its current location
          370H55V Level 4

The end user needs to "map a network drive" and select the server location in order to do this.

For XP:

Click  Start, and then click My Documents.

The Start menu with My Documents selected

Click the Tools menu, and then click Map Network Drive.

The Tools menu with Map Network Drive selected

In  the Map Network Drive dialog box, click Browse.

The Map Network Drive dialog box with the Browse button selected

In  the Browse For Folder dialog box, click the folder you want to  connect to, and then click OK.

The Browse For Folder dialog box with a folder and OK button  selected

In  the Map Network Drive dialog box, make a note of the drive  letter shown, and then click Finish.

The Map Network Drive dialog box with Finish selected

If  prompted, type your user name and password, and then click OK.

Microsoft  Windows XP will open a folder to your shared files. In the future, you  can open the shared folder from My Computer by clicking the  appropriate drive letter.

For Vista:

First, click on the Computer shortcut from your desktop or  from the Start Menu. In the toolbar you will find several buttons,  including one called Map network drive.

Map a Network Drive

Click on it and the Map Network Drive window will open.  Firstly, you need to assign a drive letter for the connection and then  type the drive or the folder you want to connect to.
          The folder can be located on a remote server or computer you have access  to, a FTP site or a shared folder on your own computer.

Map a Network Drive

If you want to connect to a remote  computer just type "\\" followed by the computer name or the IP  address and then "\" followed by the location of the folder you want to  connect to.
          If you want to create a drive mapping to a folder on your own computer  type "\\127.0.0.1\" (this stands for the local host) or "\\computer_name\" and then the path towards  that folder.
          Sometimes, when you create a drive mapping, you might need to use a  special user name and password that allows you to connect to it. In this  case, click on the Connect using a different user name link.

Map a Network Drive

Type the appropriate user name and password and click on OK.  Now you will return to the previous window. Click on Finish and the drive mapping will be created.

If you access the Computer shortcut again you will see that a  new drive having the letter you assigned is listed and you can access  it at anytime.

Map a Network Drive

For Win 7:

1) Open Windows  Explorer by double clicking on the Computer icon on the Desktop.

Figure1

2) Click on Tools menu and select Map Network Drive… option as  shown above

3) In the Map Network  Drive window select the drive letter from the dropdown list adjacent to Drive as shown below

Figure 2

4) Now either type the name of the location of the folder to be mapped or click on Browse button and  select the folder to be mapped as highlighted above

5) In the Browse for Folder dialog box navigate to the folder to be  mapped and press OK

Figure 3

6) Click Finish button in the Map Network Drive window

Figure 4

You can now see the mapped network drive on the  Computer window

Figure 5

Once the network drive is "mapped", the original folder is available as a save to location.

Hope that helps.