12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2010 9:38 AM by JETalmage-71mYin

Mapping Pictures To a Sphere

armon1607

Is there any way to upload your own pictures onto the surface of your sphere? Also, can I put text on the sphere? I can only put the symbols they provide onto the sphere, but I can't figure out how to put my own pictures on.

Please Help!

Thanks

• 1. Re: Mapping Pictures To a Sphere
          Scott Falkner Level 5

Just turn your desired artwork into a Symbol by dragging it onto the Symbols panel. 

• 2. Re: Mapping Pictures To a Sphere
            armon1607 Level 1

i tried that and it told me "a symbol definition cannot contain a linked image" whatever that means. I want to put actual photos onto a sphere. know any other ways or am I out of luck

• 3. Re: Mapping Pictures To a Sphere
              Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

armon,

i tried that and it told me "a symbol definition cannot contain a linked image" whatever that means. I want to put actual photos onto a sphere. know any other ways or am I out of luck

What happens if you embed it (symbols cannot contain non embedded raster images)?

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Mapping Pictures To a Sphere
                armon1607 Level 1

I embedded the picture and it now is in the symbols, but when i tried to apply the new symbol to my sphere it didn't even show up! I am just having such a hard time with this....grr

Thanks

• 5. Re: Mapping Pictures To a Sphere
                  Scott Falkner Level 5

Show us what you mean. Add a screen grab to a post using the Camera icon. It sounds like the symbol is in the dark area of the sphere, meaning it is on a hidden face. Here’s what you want it to look like:

Screen shot 2010-04-07 at 12.59.28 PM.PNGScreen shot 2010-04-07 at 1.00.10 PM.PNG

• 6. Re: Mapping Pictures To a Sphere
                    Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

It depends on which surface you map the symbol and if it is in front or the back of the sphere and which surface of the sphere is facing you.

But if you intend just to have the image as the surface give the original art no stroke and a fill then you will only have one surface and you will have no problems mapping the image.

Notice there is only one surface to select from.

I removed the screenshot because Scott has done the same thing but did not make note that there is a fill and no stroke.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Mapping Pictures To a Sphere
                      armon1607 Level 1

Thanks everyone for all your advice You were all very helpful.  I got it to work! yay.

• 8. Re: Mapping Pictures To a Sphere
                        Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

You should mark Scott's post.

• 9. Re: Mapping Pictures To a Sphere
                          armon1607 Level 1

oh yes i meant to do that. You were both right with what i was doing wrong though. my stroke was white and i had the image in the dark area. I set it to no stroke and moved it to the light area and I could see my image on the sphere. You guys are smart! I never took any classes on Illustrator, just photoshop and indesign, so thanks again.

Amy

• 10. Re: Mapping Pictures To a Sphere
                            Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

I thank you for marking it the way you did and you are welcome.

• 11. Re: Mapping Pictures To a Sphere
                              armon1607 Level 1

I made my design for my sphere and when i applied it the whole image got distorted....  Is there any way to sharpen up the picture? It looked fine when i made it in indesign and when i mapped it to my sphere its just all blurry.

reaper screen shot.gif

• 12. Re: Mapping Pictures To a Sphere
                                JETalmage-71mYin Level 3
                                the whole image got distorted....

A flat 2D graphic mapped to a compound curved surface like that of a sphere of course has to be distorted. The question is how. The mapping of the Symbol to a revolve object in Illustrator's 3D Effect is like reversing a Mercator projection (look it up). You've seen Mercator projection world maps, wherein the areas of the polar regions are distorted to stretch all the way across a rectangular image, in order to represent the sperical surface of the earth across an unbroken rectangle with straight parallel longitude lines. AI's spherical mapping does the reverse; it effectively "pinches" the top and bottom edges of your Symbol to points at the poles of the sphere. That's why the kind of distortion you are seeing. It's also why many "how to" examples in this forum of attempts to use 3D Effect's Symbol Mapping to create spherical mappings of polyhedra (such things as soccer balls) are erroneous. You have no control over this; it's just the way the surface mapping feature works. To work around it, you would have to first create or distort your Symbol artwork to compensate for it.

Is there any way to sharpen up the picture

When you map a raster image to a surface, the raster image must be resampled (re-rasterized). So the pixelation is dependent upon both the initial PPI of the artwork being mapped, and the Raster Effects Resolution setting. Increase both (within reason) to get better (and slower) rendered results.

JET