25 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2015 8:52 AM by SabrinaSmithParker

Spaces in Between Lines

Granpoh
      How do I type into Dreamweaver just as I type into a word processor? When I type text into Dreamweaver, it always skips a line going onto a new paragraph. People don't do this in real life. Why does Dreamweaver have this as the default? All this formatting is seriously botching up both my time and web site. I decided to just type every thing into Notepad and then paste it into Dreamweaver. However, when I have to add something, and decide to use Dreamweaver, there it goes---another skipped line. Uggghhh!!!
        • 1. Re: Spaces in Between Lines
          Level 7
          Granpoh wrote:
          > How do I type into Dreamweaver just as I type into a word processor? When I
          > type text into Dreamweaver, it always skips a line going onto a new paragraph.
          > People don't do this in real life. Why does Dreamweaver have this as the
          > default? All this formatting is seriously botching up both my time and web
          > site. I decided to just type every thing into Notepad and then paste it into
          > Dreamweaver. However, when I have to add something, and decide to use
          > Dreamweaver, there it goes---another skipped line. Uggghhh!!!
          >

Well a paragraph is a paragraph. Dreamweaver won't make an extra line
          unless you press enter and there's really no need to do that unless you
          have finished a paragraph or youre formatiing an address.

If you are just typing in paragraphs then you should deploy the correct
          method for controlling the spacing by using some css. Cut the below code
          and paste into your pages code directly before the closing </head> tag
          near the top of the page.

<style type="text/css">
          p {
          margin: 0 0 0 0;
          padding: 0 0 0 0;
          }
          </style>

The above 0 0 0 0 represents top,right,bottom,left margin and padding.
          You can add some padding or margin to create the desired amount of space
          required. None as in the case above padding: 0 0 0 0; or padding: 5px 0
          5px 0; which will create 5px of spacing between the paragraphs.

If youre trying to format an address:

holding down the shift key and pressing enter at the end of a line will
          produce a <br> and position the following line close up to the line
          above it. DO NOT use this method in blocks of paragraph text.

Use the appropriate method for the appropriate situation

• 2. Re: Spaces in Between Lines
            Level 7
            "Enter" = "New Paragraph" in Dreamweaver, not "New Line". It's annoying when
            you're not used to it, I know, but you eventually learn that this is quite
            simply a web standard. I believe the same thing happens in Word when you're
            editing an HTML document.

There is no easy way around it, you have to go through Notepad to strip all
            those carriage returns out, because DW will interpret them all as New
            Paragraph codes.

For what it's worth, the upside of it is that the web is a liquid
            environment, and you're not supposed to change lines in this environment,
            unless you're creating a menu or something like that. Stripping all those
            NEXT LINE commands from your text via Notepad is actually a GOOD thing. You
            won't end up with words stranded on their own line because of a misplaced
            carriage return that wasn't stripped out.

Shift-Enter will do the Next-Line command you're looking for. Enter alone
            will do Next-Paragraph. There's no real "fix" for this, unless you want to
            reset the <P> tag's margins to 0 (not recommended).

"Granpoh" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:fc58ti$d8o$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > How do I type into Dreamweaver just as I type into a word processor? When
            > I
            > type text into Dreamweaver, it always skips a line going onto a new
            > paragraph.
            > People don't do this in real life. Why does Dreamweaver have this as the
            > default? All this formatting is seriously botching up both my time and web
            > site. I decided to just type every thing into Notepad and then paste it
            > into
            > Dreamweaver. However, when I have to add something, and decide to use
            > Dreamweaver, there it goes---another skipped line. Uggghhh!!!
            >

• 3. Re: Spaces in Between Lines
              Granpoh Level 1
              Please tell: How do I make it to where I'm no longer getting spaces in between my lines when I press enter. I want this as the default for my entire page....always. I don't need Dreamweaver to assume that every thing is a new paragraph. It's only a new line...not a paragraph. So how do I access from the Dreamweaver panel, a word processor type mode, that acts just like Microsoft Word when typing. I've tried the "preformatted" format, but it seems to be inconsistent? If the CSS code you gave me is the only way to do it, how do I make that the default for my pages without having to type that code into every one of the pages I create.

This

is

what

my

text

currently

looks

like.

I
              want
              it
              to
              look
              this
              permanently.
              • 4. Re: Spaces in Between Lines
                Granpoh Level 1
                Thanks Mike J.S.

I had actually typed the preceding statement before your statement posted. I guess I, and all other Dreamweaver users are just screwed. However, I typed the code that Osgood recommended into my page, and now it's not skipping lines. Is there no option that I can check to have my pages work like this always, without having to type code in directly.
                • 5. Re: Spaces in Between Lines
                  Level 7
                  Mike J.S. wrote:

> Shift-Enter will do the Next-Line command you're looking for. Enter alone
                  > will do Next-Paragraph. There's no real "fix" for this, unless you want to
                  > reset the <P> tag's margins to 0 (not recommended).

Not recommended?

That is exactly how you reduce the gap between paragraphs. If you don't
                  want any gap then set the margin/padding to zero. If you do want a gap
                  set it to something bigger than zero.

The downside of this is that EVERY paragraph on yuor page will be affected.

However thats easily overcome by only targeting those paragraphs that
                  you wish to alter.

Only paragraphs in a table with an ID of 'myTable' will be affeceted if
                  you use this css

#myTable p {
                  margin: 0 0 0 0;
                  padding: 0 0 0 0;
                  }

and this table with an ID of mytable

<table id="myTable">
                  <tr>
                  <td>
                  <p>This is some text</p>
                  <p>This is some text</p>
                  </td>
                  </tr>
                  </table>

Any other paragraphs on the page will maintain their original default
                  settings.

The trick is to get to know the tools of the trade. Once you have
                  aquired that skill-set you'll find that they can be very powerful in
                  helping you achive exactly what is required. Otherwise it can prove to
                  be very frustrating indeed.

Incidentally some web developers zero out all margins/padding on every
                  elements at the very outset of construction their page and only add it
                  to those that they require it to be added to.

• 6. Re: Spaces in Between Lines
                    Level 7
                    For what it's worth, this is how HTML does it, not DW. DW is just following
                    HTML's specifications.

--
                    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                    Adobe Community Expert
                    (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                    ==================
                    http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
                    http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                    http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                    http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
                    ==================

news:fc5d46$hd4$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    > Thanks Mike J.S.
                    >
                    > I had actually typed the preceding statement before your statement posted.
                    > I
                    > guess I, and all other Dreamweaver users are just screwed. However, I
                    > typed the
                    > code that Osgood recommended into my page, and now it's not skipping
                    > lines. Is
                    > there no option that I can check to have my pages work like this always,
                    > without having to type code in directly.
                    >

• 7. Re: Spaces in Between Lines
                      Level 7

news:fc5d46$hd4$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      > Thanks Mike J.S.
                      >
                      > I had actually typed the preceding statement before your statement posted.
                      > I
                      > guess I, and all other Dreamweaver users are just screwed. However, I
                      > typed the
                      > code that Osgood recommended into my page, and now it's not skipping
                      > lines. Is
                      > there no option that I can check to have my pages work like this always,
                      > without having to type code in directly.

I think a crucial point has been missed here:

Hitting "Enter" in Dreamweaver means "END THIS PARAGRAPH AND START A NEW
                      PARAGRAPH." That's how the "Enter" key is programmed in Dreamweaver.

I don't remember whether you can re-program the Enter key to do something
                      else - maybe someone else can volunteer that information.

Meanwhile, why not just learn to use Shift-Enter to create a LINE BREAK,
                      since that's what you want to do, and since that's how Dreamweaver does it?

--
                      Patty Ayers | Adobe Community Expert
                      www.WebDevBiz.com
                      Free Articles on the Business of Web Development
                      Web Design Contract, Estimate Request Form, Estimate Worksheet
                      --

• 8. Re: Spaces in Between Lines
                        Level 7
                        On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 06:37:58 +0000 (UTC), "Granpoh"
                        <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

>Thanks Mike J.S.
                        >
                        > I had actually typed the preceding statement before your statement posted. I
                        >guess I, and all other Dreamweaver users are just screwed. However, I typed the
                        >code that Osgood recommended into my page, and now it's not skipping lines. Is
                        >there no option that I can check to have my pages work like this always,
                        >without having to type code in directly.

You are the only one I've ever heard of who had a problem with this
                        behavior. It took me all of 30 seconds to learn to Shift+Enter when I
                        want a single line break and surely you can pick it up quickly, too.

Learn to use your software and your problem will be solved.
                        • 9. Re: Spaces in Between Lines
                          Level 7
                          Mister Mustard wrote:

> You are the only one I've ever heard of who had a problem with this
                          > behavior. It took me all of 30 seconds to learn to Shift+Enter when I
                          > want a single line break and surely you can pick it up quickly, too.
                          >
                          > Learn to use your software and your problem will be solved.

Using a line <br> is not a good method to position lines of text close
                          to one another. It may look how you want it to look on your computer but
                          what if an end users font size is different to yours.....you will end up
                          with a lot of breaks all over the place and not necessarily at the end
                          of the line.

Of course we don't exactly know what the OP is doing and why they want
                          to use a line <br>. If its for formatting an address that's perfectly ok.

A little more information would be useful in determining the correct
                          solution to provide.

• 10. Re: Spaces in Between Lines
                            Level 7
                            Yeah but this guy is pushing 'enter' at the end of every line. Whether it's
                            a BR or a P makes little difference : this is not how you create a web page.
                            It'll only look good on HIS screen, and very few others. He's going to
                            realize it soon enough.

I'm usually the one who hates when people think ahead of my problem and
                            refuse to just address the question, but this is one case where even *I*
                            must tell the OP : you don't WANT to do what you're trying to do.

"P@tty Ayers ~ACE" <pattyayersTAKETHISOUT@REMOVEgmail.com> wrote in message
                            news:fc65mj$frn$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                            >
                            > "Granpoh" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                            > news:fc5d46$hd4$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                            >> Thanks Mike J.S.
                            >>
                            >> I had actually typed the preceding statement before your statement
                            >> posted. I
                            >> guess I, and all other Dreamweaver users are just screwed. However, I
                            >> typed the
                            >> code that Osgood recommended into my page, and now it's not skipping
                            >> lines. Is
                            >> there no option that I can check to have my pages work like this always,
                            >> without having to type code in directly.
                            >
                            > I think a crucial point has been missed here:
                            >
                            > Hitting "Enter" in Dreamweaver means "END THIS PARAGRAPH AND START A NEW
                            > PARAGRAPH." That's how the "Enter" key is programmed in Dreamweaver.
                            >
                            > I don't remember whether you can re-program the Enter key to do something
                            > else - maybe someone else can volunteer that information.
                            >
                            > Meanwhile, why not just learn to use Shift-Enter to create a LINE BREAK,
                            > since that's what you want to do, and since that's how Dreamweaver does
                            > it?
                            >
                            >
                            > --
                            > Patty Ayers | Adobe Community Expert
                            > www.WebDevBiz.com
                            > Free Articles on the Business of Web Development
                            > Web Design Contract, Estimate Request Form, Estimate Worksheet
                            > --
                            >
                            >
                            >

• 11. Re: Spaces in Between Lines
                              Level 7
                              "Osgood" <notavailable@thisaddress.com> wrote in message
                              news:fc5e9m$iir$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                              > Mike J.S. wrote:
                              >
                              >> Shift-Enter will do the Next-Line command you're looking for. Enter alone
                              >> will do Next-Paragraph. There's no real "fix" for this, unless you want
                              >> to reset the <P> tag's margins to 0 (not recommended).
                              > Not recommended?
                              >
                              > That is exactly how you reduce the gap between paragraphs. If you don't
                              > want any gap then set the margin/padding to zero. If you do want a gap set
                              > it to something bigger than zero.

You're missing the main point : this guy is hitting 'Enter' at the end of
                              every line. He's interrupting the word-wrapping on EVERY SINGLE LINE.

Resetting the P tag's margins to 0 is NOT recommended as a solution for his
                              particular problem, don't you agree? Even if it ends up looking great on his
                              screen, it will be the only screen it'll look great on.

If he transforms his P tags into BR's (which is what your solution will do)
                              then you're just making it easier for him to screw his code up. You're
                              hiding the problem, not curing it.

He needs to stop using 'Enter' on every line, and use it only as a Paragraph
                              break. This means that all his legacy Rich Text docs will have to go through
                              Notepad to filter all the carriage returns out. That's what he doesn't like
                              doing, but what he must nonetheless do.

Try pasting one of these usenet postings (with forced CR's on every line) in
                              DW and you'll see what his problem is. Not only does it line-break on every
                              line, but those linebreaks are treated as paragraph breaks and it's
                              understandably driving him crazy.

Resetting those P tags to 0 margins will only temporarily MASK the problem.
                              He's still going to have P tags on every line, with the added crutch that he
                              must carry the masking CSS code on every page he will design from now on.

And on most screens, it'll look like crap.

• 12. Re: Spaces in Between Lines
                                Level 7
                                Mike J.S. wrote:

> "Osgood" <notavailable@thisaddress.com> wrote in message
                                > news:fc5e9m$iir$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                >
                                >>Mike J.S. wrote:
                                >>
                                >>
                                >>>Shift-Enter will do the Next-Line command you're looking for. Enter alone
                                >>>will do Next-Paragraph. There's no real "fix" for this, unless you want
                                >>>to reset the <P> tag's margins to 0 (not recommended).
                                >>
                                >> Not recommended?
                                >>
                                >>That is exactly how you reduce the gap between paragraphs. If you don't
                                >>want any gap then set the margin/padding to zero. If you do want a gap set
                                >>it to something bigger than zero.
                                >
                                >
                                > You're missing the main point : this guy is hitting 'Enter' at the end of
                                > every line. He's interrupting the word-wrapping on EVERY SINGLE LINE.

We don't know why he is hitting enter at the end of each line...he
                                doesn't say.

If he is typing a large block of text and is hitting enter because he
                                'thinks' I want to turn to the next line before the text automatically
                                wraps then that's a bad idea, no?

If he is hitting enter because he is formulating an address then its
                                perfectly acceptable to use shift+enter to create a <br>

> Resetting the P tag's margins to 0 is NOT recommended as a solution for his
                                > particular problem, don't you agree? Even if it ends up looking great on his
                                > screen, it will be the only screen it'll look great on.

What problem....we don't know what the actual problem is because the OP
                                hasn't supplied enough information..so we are all assuming
                                something...maybe differently.

I said 'reduce the gap between the paragraphs by using css', thats the
                                correct solution, no? Youre saying, as far as I can gather, its not a
                                recommended solution, why?

I don't know if this guy just doesn't like space between paragraphs or
                                he is formating something other than paragraphs, neither do you.

> If he transforms his P tags into BR's (which is what your solution will do)
                                > then you're just making it easier for him to screw his code up. You're
                                > hiding the problem, not curing it.

Huh? I never mentioned anything about transforming paragraph tags into
                                break tags......far from it. Show me where I said that please. Infact I
                                was suggesting the exact opposite.

> He needs to stop using 'Enter' on every line, and use it only as a Paragraph
                                > break. This means that all his legacy Rich Text docs will have to go through
                                > Notepad to filter all the carriage returns out. That's what he doesn't like
                                > doing, but what he must nonetheless do.

Sure, so what makes you think I've said any differently in my posts?

> Try pasting one of these usenet postings (with forced CR's on every line) in
                                > DW and you'll see what his problem is. Not only does it line-break on every
                                > line, but those linebreaks are treated as paragraph breaks and it's
                                > understandably driving him crazy.
                                >
                                > Resetting those P tags to 0 margins will only temporarily MASK the problem.
                                > He's still going to have P tags on every line, with the added crutch that he
                                > must carry the masking CSS code on every page he will design from now on.
                                >
                                > And on most screens, it'll look like crap.

Either I'm going crazy or you are.

• 13. Re: Spaces in Between Lines
                                  Level 7
                                  Mike J.S. wrote:

> Yeah but this guy is pushing 'enter' at the end of every line. Whether it's
                                  > a BR or a P makes little difference : this is not how you create a web page.
                                  > It'll only look good on HIS screen, and very few others. He's going to
                                  > realize it soon enough.

We are saying the same thing. I think we just may have been confused by
                                  one anothers reponses. Look at my last post in response to Mr. Mustards
                                  post, before you posted this one. It covers more or less the same
                                  senario that you have described.

I'm sure Mr Mustard knows this too but there is sometimes a legitimate
                                  reason to use shift+enter in the case of an an address for example. Also
                                  I know its not semantically correct but some less experineced users
                                  create list this way too.

• 14. Re: Spaces in Between Lines
                                    Level 7

"Mike J.S." <no@spam.com> wrote in message
                                    news:fc6f5t$qro$1@forums.macromedia.com...

> Yeah but this guy is pushing 'enter' at the end of every line. Whether
                                    > it's a BR or a P makes little difference : this is not how you create a
                                    > web page.

Well, I didn't know what he was trying to do; as far as I know, he could
                                    need to have lots of lines with line breaks at the end. Since that's what he
                                    was asking to do, I thought it best to just tell him how to do it. :-)

--
                                    Patty Ayers | Adobe Community Expert
                                    www.WebDevBiz.com
                                    Free Articles on the Business of Web Development
                                    Web Design Contract, Estimate Request Form, Estimate Worksheet
                                    --

• 15. Re: Spaces in Between Lines
                                      Level 7
                                      On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 16:38:02 +0100, Osgood
                                      <notavailable@thisaddress.com> wrote:

>Using a line <br> is not a good method to position lines of text close
                                      >to one another. It may look how you want it to look on your computer but
                                      >what if an end users font size is different to yours.....you will end up
                                      >with a lot of breaks all over the place and not necessarily at the end
                                      >of the line.
                                      >
                                      >Of course we don't exactly know what the OP is doing and why they want
                                      >to use a line <br>. If its for formatting an address that's perfectly ok.
                                      >
                                      >A little more information would be useful in determining the correct
                                      >solution to provide.

I could be wrong,
                                      but I would bet
                                      the OP wants
                                      to
                                      add
                                      line breaks
                                      where
                                      they do
                                      not
                                      belong.
                                      • 16. Re: Spaces in Between Lines
                                        Level 7
                                        Mister Mustard wrote:
                                        > On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 16:38:02 +0100, Osgood
                                        > <notavailable@thisaddress.com> wrote:
                                        >
                                        >
                                        >>Using a line <br> is not a good method to position lines of text close
                                        >>to one another. It may look how you want it to look on your computer but
                                        >>what if an end users font size is different to yours.....you will end up
                                        >>with a lot of breaks all over the place and not necessarily at the end
                                        >>of the line.
                                        >>
                                        >>Of course we don't exactly know what the OP is doing and why they want
                                        >>to use a line <br>. If its for formatting an address that's perfectly ok.
                                        >>
                                        >>A little more information would be useful in determining the correct
                                        >>solution to provide.
                                        >
                                        >
                                        >
                                        > I could be wrong,
                                        > but I would bet
                                        > the OP wants
                                        > to
                                        > add
                                        > line breaks
                                        > where
                                        > they do
                                        > not
                                        > belong.

That was my first impression too :)

• 17. Re: Spaces in Between Lines
                                          Level 7
                                          "Osgood" <notavailable@thisaddress.com> wrote in message
                                          news:fc6h6e$t3u$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                          >
                                          > We don't know why he is hitting enter at the end of each line...he doesn't
                                          > say.

Yes he does. ;-)

> If he is typing a large block of text and is hitting enter because he
                                          > 'thinks' I want to turn to the next line before the text automatically
                                          > wraps then that's a bad idea, no?
                                          >
                                          > If he is hitting enter because he is formulating an address then its
                                          > perfectly acceptable to use shift+enter to create a <br>

He is not doing that.

Please read entire thread. This is about copying large amounts of paragraph
                                          text, and having

every line

come out

like this.

> What problem....we don't know what the actual problem is

Well, the rest of us do. But then again, we read his posts.

> because the OP hasn't supplied enough information..

Yes, he has.

> so we are all assuming something...

You're assuming. The rest of us read his posts. ;-)

> I don't know if this guy just doesn't like space between paragraphs or he
                                          > is formating something other than paragraphs, neither do you.

*sigh*

> Either I'm going crazy or you are.

Almost assuredly one of the two. ;-) But no worries, I was only trying to
                                          help the guy out and so were you. Let's laugh about it. ;-)

Mike

• 18. Re: Spaces in Between Lines
                                            Level 7
                                            "Mister Mustard" <mustard@hotdog.com> wrote in message
                                            news:ohlde3h163n7l59hvs3l1tmubaotlutof2@4ax.com...
                                            >
                                            >
                                            > I could be wrong,
                                            > but I would bet
                                            > the OP wants
                                            > to
                                            > add
                                            > line breaks
                                            > where
                                            > they do
                                            > not
                                            > belong.

Has ANYONE but me been reading him? ;-) He flat-out stated black-on-white
                                            that he is copying large amounts of text into DW, and for whatever reason DW
                                            is inserting blank lines everywhere.

He said he has to first paste in Notepad, then in Dreamweaver, to get those
                                            lines out and it's annoying.

THIS IS CLEARLY A CASE OF <CR>'s BEING INTERPRETED AS PARAGRAPH CHANGES.

Reducing the P tag to 0 margins is NOT an acceptable solution to this. The
                                            OP needed to hear that he has no choice but to work with the program in this
                                            case, and filter out those <CR> tags by either DEL'ing at end-of-line, one
                                            line at a time... or pasting his text in Notepad before he pastes it in DW.

My guess is that he wants a column-like effect without creating any tables
                                            or div's. He needs to learn how to strip his code of unnecessary CR's and
                                            BR's (and P's) and use tables/divs to get the column effect he wants.

Mike

• 19. Re: Spaces in Between Lines
                                              Level 7
                                              Look at the code. It often happens that copying from Word and pasting into
                                              DW will give you <br> tags at the end of each line.

So - what does the code show?

--
                                              Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                              Adobe Community Expert
                                              (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                                              ==================
                                              http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
                                              http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                                              http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                                              http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
                                              ==================

"Mike J.S." <no@spam.com> wrote in message
                                              news:fc6sjm$cmn$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                              > "Mister Mustard" <mustard@hotdog.com> wrote in message
                                              > news:ohlde3h163n7l59hvs3l1tmubaotlutof2@4ax.com...
                                              >>
                                              >>
                                              >> I could be wrong,
                                              >> but I would bet
                                              >> the OP wants
                                              >> to
                                              >> add
                                              >> line breaks
                                              >> where
                                              >> they do
                                              >> not
                                              >> belong.
                                              >
                                              > Has ANYONE but me been reading him? ;-) He flat-out stated black-on-white
                                              > that he is copying large amounts of text into DW, and for whatever reason
                                              > DW is inserting blank lines everywhere.
                                              >
                                              > He said he has to first paste in Notepad, then in Dreamweaver, to get
                                              > those lines out and it's annoying.
                                              >
                                              > THIS IS CLEARLY A CASE OF <CR>'s BEING INTERPRETED AS PARAGRAPH CHANGES.
                                              >
                                              > Reducing the P tag to 0 margins is NOT an acceptable solution to this. The
                                              > OP needed to hear that he has no choice but to work with the program in
                                              > this case, and filter out those <CR> tags by either DEL'ing at
                                              > end-of-line, one line at a time... or pasting his text in Notepad before
                                              > he pastes it in DW.
                                              >
                                              > My guess is that he wants a column-like effect without creating any tables
                                              > or div's. He needs to learn how to strip his code of unnecessary CR's and
                                              > BR's (and P's) and use tables/divs to get the column effect he wants.
                                              >
                                              > Mike
                                              >

• 20. Re: Spaces in Between Lines
                                                Level 7
                                                You'd have to ask the OP. ;-)

"Murray *ACE*" <forums@HAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote in message
                                                news:fc79g1$qfc$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                                > Look at the code. It often happens that copying from Word and pasting
                                                > into DW will give you <br> tags at the end of each line.
                                                >
                                                > So - what does the code show?

• 21. Re: Spaces in Between Lines
                                                  Level 7
                                                  Mike J.S. wrote:

>>What problem....we don't know what the actual problem is

> Well, the rest of us do. But then again, we read his posts.

The question he asked was and I quote:

'How do I type into Dreamweaver just as I type into a word processor?
                                                  When I type text into Dreamweaver, it always skips a line going onto a
                                                  new paragraph.'

And that's the question I answered.

Maybe the confusion arose because I'm not familar with 'notepad' but
                                                  certainly with other dtp tools 'word' 'express' etc there is no need to
                                                  hit return at the end of a line of text. The text just automatically
                                                  wraps (as it does in DW) according to how wide the container is, leaving
                                                  no <br> tags.

• 22. Re: Spaces in Between Lines
                                                    Level 7
                                                    On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 16:08:15 -0400, "Mike J.S." <no@spam.com> wrote:

>Has ANYONE but me been reading him? ;-) He flat-out stated black-on-white
                                                    >that he is copying large amounts of text into DW, and for whatever reason DW
                                                    >is inserting blank lines everywhere.

I obviously did not read the OP carefully and thought it said
                                                    something entirely different from what it says:

"How do I type into Dreamweaver just as I type into a word processor?
                                                    When I type text into Dreamweaver, it always skips a line going onto a
                                                    new paragraph. People don't do this in real life. "

It sounds to me like he will have to either have 0 margin paragraphs,
                                                    or use Shift-Enter so that every page is one paragraph.

Either way, I don't think his audience will like it.

>
                                                    >He said he has to first paste in Notepad, then in Dreamweaver, to get those
                                                    >lines out and it's annoying.
                                                    >
                                                    >THIS IS CLEARLY A CASE OF <CR>'s BEING INTERPRETED AS PARAGRAPH CHANGES.
                                                    >
                                                    >Reducing the P tag to 0 margins is NOT an acceptable solution to this. The
                                                    >OP needed to hear that he has no choice but to work with the program in this
                                                    >case, and filter out those <CR> tags by either DEL'ing at end-of-line, one
                                                    >line at a time... or pasting his text in Notepad before he pastes it in DW.
                                                    >
                                                    >My guess is that he wants a column-like effect without creating any tables
                                                    >or div's. He needs to learn how to strip his code of unnecessary CR's and
                                                    >BR's (and P's) and use tables/divs to get the column effect he wants.
                                                    >
                                                    >Mike
                                                    >

• 23. Re: Spaces in Between Lines
                                                      SabrinaSmithParker

I have tried everything .... hitting the shift/enter still gives me a space in between lines and hitting just enter gives me TWO spaces between lines .... I even went in and got rid of all of those and then went into the code and type in <br> when i just wanted to go to the next line and <br><br> when i wanted a space in between lines ... still get the huge spaces ... i am at my wit's end ... here is a link to the page i'm talking about:  Steampunk Festival 2016 - September 23, 24, 25 - Springfield Vermont    HELP?!

• 24. Re: Spaces in Between Lines
                                                        Jon Fritz II Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's your 36 pixel .BannerFont class in your main table causing it...

.BannerFont {

font-family: Segoe, "Segoe UI", "DejaVu Sans", "Trebuchet MS", Verdana, sans-serif;

font-style: normal;

font-weight: 400;

font-size: 36px;

border: medium solid #2C1D14;

background-repeat: repeat;

}

• 25. Re: Spaces in Between Lines
                                                          SabrinaSmithParker Level 1

Thank you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!