10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2010 2:50 PM by Curt Wrigley

How to turn widescreen into 4:3?

gautierparent

Hello. I have a videoclip to make but some scenes were filmed in widescreen and some in regular 4:3. Il would like the whole video to be in 4:3. How should I do?

Thanks,

Gautier

• 1. Re: How to turn widescreen into 4:3?
          Curt Wrigley Level 4

This is a pretty common problem.

I would setup an SD 4:3 sequence so your project is formatted for SD (4:3).    Then import all your footage into it.

The edges of the widescreen footage will be chopped off; but that is normally OK.  You can pan it left or right if needed on a clip by clip bases.

• 2. Re: How to turn widescreen into 4:3?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Now, if you have footage of Aunt Marge, you could do Interpret Footage, and squeeze her, so that she drops ~ 20 lbs. She'll love you for it!

Seriously, Curt's suggest is the one that you want to go with. That is basically what happens with widescreen films, when they were edited to fit 4:3 TV's. Some of this still has to go on, depending on the format of the film, even with widescreen TV's.

This is why you will see two people talking in the same scene, at the theater, but when the movie gets to your 4:3 TV, it will have one person talking and then pan/cut to the other - or the editor will use full-width, with black bars at the top & bottom. One sees this more in intros, and credits, as the black bars get in the way, if they appear and disappear throughout the film.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: How to turn widescreen into 4:3?
              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

May I suggest letterbox (4:3 with black bars on top/bottom). A bit of both worlds.

When putting widescreen in a standard project you will loose quality as you are blowing up the footage to 134%.

Its quite easy to crop 4:3 footage to widescreen (just place the bars on top of the footage, the are default in the titler).

It also give you the advantage to set a croocked horizon straight or play a bit with the composition in vertical direction..

• 4. Re: How to turn widescreen into 4:3?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Ann,

If I read correctly, the OP has widescreen footage, and wishes to go to 4:3. Maybe I missed something.

Cheers,

Hunt

• 5. Re: How to turn widescreen into 4:3?
                  Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yes i know, but i am suggesting letterbox.

• 6. Re: How to turn widescreen into 4:3?
                    gautierparent Level 1

Thanks for your answers but I didnt really understand. Here's my problem again. I imported 2 types of video (4:3 and 16:9) on the same project, wich I set on  DV NTSC Standard 48. I want the 2 clips to look the same in size, I dont care if its with a black stripe or not.

THIS PICTURE SHOWS THE 16/9 VIDEO. (It's all original setings. I just import and drag the clips on the working space)

16-9.jpg

THIS IS THE 4:3 VIDEO

4-3.jpg

• 7. Re: How to turn widescreen into 4:3?
                      nados Level 1

Go with Curt's method.

I have done this before. Just create the following (assuming that all your footage is DV and not HDV):

1. create a project by selecting the DV - NTSC Widescreen 48kHz preset.

2. your default sequence (Sequence 01) will be widescreen. rename it "widescreen". (so you can see the ws footage without scaling)

3. create a new 4:3 sequence by selecting  the DV - NTSC Standard 48kHz preset.  rename it "standard".

4. import all your footage.

5. edit normally using the standard sequence.

6. When inserting your widescreen footage into the standard sequence, just scale the clip as required, (normally 134%),  to fill the top and bottom of the screen.

7. Pan the ws footage as required.

8. The left and right portion of the ws video will be cropped or hidden behind the 4:3 aspect sequence screen.

9. Export using a standard 4:3 output format.

• 8. Re: How to turn widescreen into 4:3?
                        Curt Wrigley Level 4

Ann Bens wrote:

May I suggest letterbox (4:3 with black bars on top/bottom). A bit of both worlds.

When putting widescreen in a standard project you will loose quality as you are blowing up the footage to 134%.

\

Why would the wide video have to be scaled up?  In my universe it wouldnt.

• 9. Re: How to turn widescreen into 4:3?
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

Many cameras that are in fact 4 x 3 in sensor size use a faulty 16 x 9 mode (think for instance PD150/170) which in essence just crops the image, introducing letter-box bars and reducing vertical resolution from 480 to 360. If you want to fit that in a 480 high resolution, that entails enlarging to 134% as Ann mentioned. This of course does not apply to real 16 x 9 cameras,

• 10. Re: How to turn widescreen into 4:3?
                            Curt Wrigley Level 4

That would explain it; yep.