7 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2010 10:22 PM by bertrenolds

22 hours of footage down to 60 seconds?

Jimtoscano Level 1

Does anyone know the best way to get 22 hours of footage down to about 60 seconds of time lapse footage?

Im thinking speed the footage up to X amount, then export 1fps.

What do you guys think?

Footage AVCHD 20p

Machine: Imac Quad core

• 1. Re: 22 hours of footage down to 60 seconds?
          Dag Norum Level 2

One thing you can do is to use interpret footage.

1. Work in a project (sequence) that fits your wanted output when it comes to frame rate (use frame size as source).

2. While footage is in the project bin, right click on it and select Interpret Footage. Set "Assume this frame rate:" to 999 (I guess that's the max also in CS4). This will shorten you clips by a factor of 999 divided by the original frame rate (approx 33 for NTSC and 40 for PAL).

3. Now put your footage in the order you want (assuming more than one clip) on to the timeline and export a lossless video (use frame rate as the sequence).

4. Import the new video and start from 1. but this time, if you have PAL, you probably want to use a bit less than 999. But, if you have NTSC you probably need to run the same procedure with "999" and do the whole thing once more but the last time with MUCH less than 999.

PS! If it's real 24p footage you have (meaning NO more than 24 fps) then the PAL way is correct, but it could be it's 24p in a 29.97 fps wrapper.

Dag

• 2. Re: 22 hours of footage down to 60 seconds?
            Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Never done this, but here's another method....  Too many problems to call this a method; let's call it a concept....

Just for some numbers, I'm going to use 30 fps (x60 seconds x 60 minutes x 22 hours = about 2.3 million frames).  Going down to 30 x 60 = 1800 frames.  One advantage of this method is that you can batch it into pieces if you don't want all 2.3 million around at once.  Yeh, about 2+ terrabytes?  Hey, you're the guy going from 22 hours to 60 seconds!

Export as tiff sequence.

Outside Premiere, delete files and keep only every 1,320th file.  (I just did a little vb program keeping every 5th frame, but the principle is the same.)

Use a program such as Renamer and rename so the files are again sequential.

Import sequence; done!

• 3. Re: 22 hours of footage down to 60 seconds?
              Level 4

wow Stan, how cool !  You wouldn't want to share that little vb program would you?   Anyone could easily adapt it to fit different scenarios with the variables if you made a few notes between the program lines....

How cool !

Rod

ps..I imagine in time lapse there are periods where nothing much happens ( action ) and at other times more stuff happens...  so maybe there's a way to look at "ranges" of the tif files and adjust accordingly ???   heh...just thinking

• 4. Re: 22 hours of footage down to 60 seconds?
                Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Just be careful: this works by DELETING FILES.  And it doesn't care what files you point it to!

I need to put it up somewhere and then I'll post a link.

• 5. Re: 22 hours of footage down to 60 seconds?
                  bertrenolds Level 1

So 10,000% is the maximum film speed in premiere cs3 and so on? And the only way to speed up my footage is to drop frames?

• 6. Re: 22 hours of footage down to 60 seconds?
                    jeremy d. Level 3

bertrenolds wrote:

So 10,000% is the maximum film speed in premiere cs3 and so on? And the only way to speed up my footage is to drop frames?

If you're cramming 79,200 seconds into 60 seconds, you're not going to notice that some frames are missing. Your issue becomes having to choose which frames you want to see.

• 7. Re: 22 hours of footage down to 60 seconds?
                      bertrenolds Level 1

It's a time lapse of clouds and mountains so a few frames probably would not matter. So I should go to the video and select interpret and change the framerate?