6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2010 3:06 AM by nealeh

Frequent Crashes from PRE8, low system memory, etc.

AidTheMaid

So I'm having the apparently widespread crashes with premiere elements 8.0(1) also. Here are my specs:

Computer Display Stats.pngComputer Stats.png

Here are the main problems i get:

-white preview screen when previewing clips/hitting space bar, sometimes preview screen freezes and just audio plays'

-i hit the share tab, then DVD button, and boom-- blue screen. This has happened 2 out of 2 times

-seemingly random crashes after copying or dragging clips in the timeline, i get this message:

Adobe warning2.png

-this used to happen only after a while, but now it does it right on start up, it gives me this message:Adobe warning screen.jpg

-sometimes theres no message at all

I've been working on a 30 minute documentary made of standard definition .AVI clips and a couple titles and some mp3 music files

So far i have...

-disabled background rendering

-unchecked the GPU thing box

-updated drivers

-reinstalled quicktime

-enetered BCDEDIT /SET INCREASEUSERVA 3072 in the command prompt as administrator as one thread suggested to get rid of the memory low error by allocating more memory to programs and less to the OS, but this did nothing (should i put more than 3072?)

-updated drivers of graphics

-installed the update to 8.01

Any other suggestions would be extremely helpful. I'm starting to get frustrated since the documentary was supposed to be finished the 5th but i cant even get it onto a DVD or finish it. I'm very close to being done editting it but everytime i do something it crashes

Thanks in advance

Aiden

• 1. Re: Frequent Crashes from PRE8, low system memory, etc.
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Aiden,

A lot of good and useful info. Thank you.

Now, memory/resources is RAM and also the Page File. There are many things that can sap those resources, that do not apply to editing. This ARTICLE will give you some tips for freeing up as many resources, as is possible. This can be a two-step process: cleaning up bloatware, and then getting ready for an editing session.

Also let us know all about your Page File (Windows Virtual Memory), how it's managed, its size, its location, and then give us a description of your system's HDD's, with their size, speed, free space, controller type and how you have them allocated.

As for Runtime Errors, MS has several C++ Runtime DLL's on their site. There were some issues with several Vista, and at least one for XP-Pro. Check their site for the Runtime Library that matches your exact OS and version.

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] Here is an Adobe TechNote on C++ Runtime Errors.

• 2. Re: Frequent Crashes from PRE8, low system memory, etc.
            VOPRO

Bill, I have now received nearly 10 emails from you about things I have no

concern for.  I truly appreciated your attempt to help me out but let's try

to do something about the excessive mail to others that I am receiving.

Regards

Greg

• 3. Re: Frequent Crashes from PRE8, low system memory, etc.
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Greg,

These have to be because you are subscribed to the fora. I have sent you one PM, and that is all. Take a look at this ARTICLE on setting e-mail notifications. There are several places and ways that one can become subscribed to either a thread, or to a particular forum.

Again, I responded to you via one PM only. I have not e-mailed you and do not even know your POP account to do so. It is a setting in your Adobe Forum, or your Adobe.com Profile that is contributing to these.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Frequent Crashes from PRE8, low system memory, etc.
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Greg,

Hope that that article and the settings help. Going back to the last forum update, one poor user commented in the Forum Comments forum, on dozens of e-mails that she was receiving, and all were every post that another user made. I offered her the article and some instructions, about the time that Adobe stepped in to help her. Well, wires must have gotten crossed, as suddenly, I was receiving an e-mail from every post in every forum that I had visited - about 1,000 per day, and all of my e-mail notifications were set to OFF. Fortunately, Adobe got that straightened out, so I only had about 5,000 e-mails to delete. They also were able to help her too.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Frequent Crashes from PRE8, low system memory, etc.
                  nealeh Level 5

AidTheMaid wrote:

I'm starting to get frustrated since the documentary was supposed to be finished the 5th

Not ideal but a workaround, so it can at least be played, would be to export it as DV-AVI or WMV so that it can at least play in Media Player. Or, once exported, load it into Windows Movie Maker and burn from there (you will have to redo any menus).

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale
                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children