8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2012 10:16 AM by Ed.Macke

How to add an animation to a text field with two lines?

pettyimage

I have a text field with two or more lines. Why isn't it possible now to apply a text animation?àpe_textfield.jpg

• 1. Re: How to add an animation to a text field with two lines?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Text animation, by design, only works on one line of text.

To use it for more than one line you can either create two separate titles or use keyframing to create your own animation effect.

• 3. Re: How to add an animation to a text field with two lines?
            JamesW@LangP

I don't understand, why would they provide a "by line" preset if it only works on one line at a time?

Is there a way to keyframe the preset text animations?

For instance, I would like to use the "fade in by character" preset. However, when I apply it, it takes the entire length of the object (in the timeline) to finish the animation. Even if I were to create multiple titles for each line, the animation does not line up. Or, I would have to create separate copies of each title with no animation to make them still while the rest of the text is shown.

I find the text features in Premiere Elements 8 to be very difficult to work with.

• 4. Re: How to add an animation to a text field with two lines?
              JamesW@LangP Level 1

Nevermind, I found a way around it.

Just copy and paste all of the exsisting text into the new object and only use the preset animation on the last or latest line of text. Easy, but time consuming...

• 5. Re: How to add an animation to a text field with two lines?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

For certain tasks, Titler and its Presets can be very good, and can simplify things greatly.

However, when one gets beyond the limitations of the Titler, I really like to create my Titles in Photoshop, and Import those as Still Images into my Project. I then use the power of Keyframing various Effects over time. This allows me much more control, BUT does require more hand-work. Still, that added control is too important to me, and I sort of like doing the handwork.

For the "alignment" of multiple Titles, to get multiple lines of Text, you can create the first Title, and then chose Duplicate Title. Initially, that will be identical, but you just change it, as is necessary. After you have changed that "second line of Text," place that Duplicate on the next Video Track, above the first Title, and use the Fixed Effect>Motion>Position, to move it down, to where it would be (by the height of the font, plus any desired Leading), if one had created a second line of Text on one Title.

I also like to use Alignment Grids, when things get critical, and create those in Photoshop, with a trasparent background, and just place them, on say Video Track 2, with all of my Titles above that. Just do not forget to remove any Alignment Grids, before you Export/Share the Timeline, or they will be part of the output video.

For more background on Keyframing (so very useful with more than just Titles), Steve Grisetti has done a multi-part tutorial, available as Basic Keyframing on Muvipix.com. I highly recommend it. Keyframing is simple to do, but can be a bit of a tough concept to grasp initially, and it's a subject that is tough to write about - takes longer to type instructions, than to do the work.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - Do not know if you saw them, but Titler has two Alignment Tools - Align Horizontally, and Align Vertically, that can be helpful to center Text.

• 6. Re: How to add an animation to a text field with two lines?
                  Ed.Macke Level 3

IMO, the Titler is one of the weaker parts of the programs. It's never really seemed fully baked, especially with animation.

Hunt, you gave me that tip a year or more ago about doing the titles in Photoshop (Photostop Elements, in my case) and animating the outputted still image. I've used that tip many times and it works great.

About the only downside is that it is more of a "manual" process, but given the time I wasted futzing around with PRE's titler animation (without success), I don't think it really takes any longer in the end. And it provides much more flexibility. Actually, Adobe should just go with that idea, and add an "Edit in Photoshop" option in the titler. Quick, patent the idea!

• 7. Re: How to add an animation to a text field with two lines?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

About the only downside is that it is more of a "manual" process, but given the time I wasted futzing around with PRE's titler animation (without success), I don't think it really takes any longer in the end. And it provides much more flexibility.

Ed,

I agree with you. Also, aspects of the animation Preset is the Duration of the animated Title, and the resulting "speed." To slow the animation Preset down, one needs to increase the Duration, and that is often problematic, at least for me. With Keyframed Effects, I can alter the speed, and leave the Duration exactly where I want it.

I also am usually Keyframing several Effects, like maybe Opacity, or one that I have added, like Gaussian Blur, so a little Keyframing on Position is not a big deal, at least for me.

Glad that the tips worked for you, and that a year later, you are still putting them to good use.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: How to add an animation to a text field with two lines?
                      Ed.Macke Level 3

Keyframes was another huge tip I found on these forums.

When I first started in PRE, I kind of ignored keyframing (maybe hoping it would go away?).

It seemed to pop up fairly often in discussions but I just wanted to get my movies done without having to learn a seemingly difficult topic.

But through the gentle prodding of you, Steve, and others, I finally took the time to look into it... and wow! First of all, the things you can do with keyframes is amazing. Secondly, it's not hard at all - it just sounds daunting. But after I tried it, I was like "oh, that's easy!"

As it turns out, it's actually a lot of fun. I use it so much now that I actually programmed a hot-key to get me into the panel since PRE7 didn't have one by default (at least not that I could find).

Best forums ever.