2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2010 7:55 AM by the_wine_snob

??? AVCHD

Take Twenty two

I am contemplating buying a Canon HF S21 I did have a HV30 but that has "Gone To God" I keep hearing the editing is much easier on Mini Tape than AVCHD. I have a vista Intel Core 2 machine with 4 gig of Ram. In the past I have used Adobe Premier Elements 7 and i find it very good. Will the new AVCHD camera cause me grief.

Any help most appreciated John

• 1. Re: ??? AVCHD
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The Canon HV series are some of the best consumer AVCHD cams on sale today.

I'm surprised you had trouble with your HV30 -- but I can't make any guarantees for any manufacturer's electronics. That's kind of between you and Canon.

• 2. Re: ??? AVCHD
            the_wine_snob Level 9

John,

I doubt that you will have a smooth editing experience with a Core2 Duo CPU. Most users will state that until one has a fast Core2 Quad, it is just not possible to get smooth playback with AVCHD footage. Others will suggest that only a fast i7 (maybe even overclocked) is the only answer. That, or a pair of current, top-of-the-line Xeons.

AVCHD is heavily compressed, and unlike most other formats/CODEC's, is heavily CPU dependent for smooth playback. With almost every other format/CODEC, the system's I/O is the weakest link.

Sorry to hear about the Canon - RIP, and good luck,

Hunt