1 2 Previous Next 44 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2010 4:47 PM by pmasters8941

Let's talk certification

pmasters8941 Level 1

I am about to take the Premiere CS4 cert next week. This being my first Adobe cert, I am curious as to just how difficult it will be for the average user of Premiere. Is there any area I should focus? I hardly use Encore and since moving to tapeless, current version of OnLocation has proved useless for my workflow. How much of the test really tests my proficiency in both of those programs?

Any caveats I should look out for on the test? Is it a completely written test with screenshots to help guide along the way or is there an actual mock version of the sofwtare during testing that allows the selection of menus and things like that? In other words, is there any project based questions or sequenced typed questions.

Thanks for any advice ahead of time.

• 1. Re: Let's talk certification
          Mortimer IOU Level 2

If you go to adobe.com and search on "certification" you'll get a lot of hits.

One of them is http://www.adobe.com/support/certification/

also

http://partners.adobe.com/public/en/ace/ACE_Exam_Guide_PremiereProCS3.pdf

gives an idea of what's in the exam

• 2. Re: Let's talk certification
            pmasters8941 Level 1

Jerry, thanks. I have checked out the links previously. But I am more so looking for people who have actually taken the CS4 exam itself instead of relying on what a company says.

That said, I know there are some areas of focus or some questions that appear on nearly every exam for most test takers and I want to make sure I am not throwing $150 away when I take it.

• 3. Re: Let's talk certification
              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you are a advanced user the test wont be difficult.

Good luck!

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Let's talk certification
                pmasters8941 Level 1

Thanks. Its not so much about not being an advanced user but I know for the projects I work on they do not push the program to the limits thus I am afraid there are areas that I do not use frequently enough or at all that I am sure I will see questions on. Like for instance, mapping source channels. I never have to do it for any of my projects.

Encore also makes up 8 questions of the 50 question test. Not much room for error if I bomb those 8 questions and still meet the 71% required for passing.

• 5. Re: Let's talk certification

If you can answer all the question in the second link given by Jerry you will pass with flying colours.

As i said its not difficult just an awful lost and yes one does not use all the features.

If you have studied the areas you are not so familiair with you will be ok.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Let's talk certification
                    pmasters8941 Level 1

Awesome. I appreciate the encouragement. A passing score plus my professional teaching certification will combine nicely for the ACI but I guess I should learn Encore better if I expect to provide well rounded training in the future. Thank you again for the advice and Ill report back my score once I get it.

• 7. Re: Let's talk certification
                      pmasters8941 Level 1

Ok, I have my test scheduled for 11:30am next Thursday.

For anyone that has taken it, how difficult are the Encore questions?

Also, is every question a basic sentence and multiple choice type question or are there environment type questions on there where I have to selected the correct option from the screen as well?

Again, if I study just those areas of focus listed on the sample test, will that be sufficient enough to pass or are there additional areas I need to study?

Thanks again. I think the test anxiety is getting to me LOL.

• 8. Re: Let's talk certification
                        Curt Wrigley Level 4

Let us know how you do.   If you are proficient at Pr you should pass.   It attempts to test your knowledge of using Pr, rather than just memorizing menus.  So their are situational questions.  I passed it with no problems

• 9. Re: Let's talk certification

If English is not your first language it can be a bit tricky.

I had to read everything twice to fully understand what was being asked.

Maybe for non English examinees they could extend the examination time say with 15 minutes.

• 10. Re: Let's talk certification
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Though you have probably been through it, the Adobe Classroom in a Book for Premiere Pro CS4, Adobe Press, has a set of questions at the end of each chapter. While probably not lifted directly from the test (that would be too easy to provide a measure of proficiency), they would be good study material. BTW - it's a great book on PrPro too! Win-win.

Good luck on the exam,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Let's talk certification
                              pmasters8941 Level 1

Well I completely blew the exam. Scored 67%, 4% under minimum needed to pass. I'm a little upset. Was supposed to be a 50Q test with 8 questions on Encore. However, when I got there, the test was 52Q and I had 11 questions that covered Encore. I know 2 questions doesn't seem like a big deal but in my case, those 2 extra questions prevented me from passing.

Oh well. I suck. So goes my life.I promised Id share the results, just wish I had better news.

• 12. Re: Let's talk certification
                                sync2rhythm Level 1

What is the significance of Passing the Test?

Does it mean you make more money?

Get better jobs?

I attended Video Symphany but have never been asked about my NLE Certifications when applying for a position.

I've been asked a Zillion times for a Resume & Online Demo Real but never anything about 'Certifications'.

• 13. Re: Let's talk certification
                                  pmasters8941 Level 1

Hi Sync,

I am actually a certified educator in the state of Florida that teaches TV Production using Adobe products. Many of the school districts are now providing their students with opportunities to gain certification in Adobe products. It is only natural that their instructor demonstrate their ability to pass the same test these students will be asked to take during the year. In some districts, it is now required for educators teaching one of these products to also have a certification in that product area.

I am just upset that those 2 additional questions that were not included in the exam guide's claim of a 50Q test actually turned out to be the actual difference between me passing and failing.

I suppose its time to give up teaching if I can't pass the test and definitely time to give up film/video if I cannot even pass a test with the editor I use daily.

Anyone know if Starbucks is hiring?

• 14. Re: Let's talk certification
                                    Chuck A. McIntyre Level 3

You'll pass it next time.  I believe Einstein flunked the entrance exam at Zurich Polytechnic. Don't be discouraged.

• 15. Re: Let's talk certification
                                      pmasters8941 Level 1

I appreciate the encouragement but I am not going to retake it. This was a harsh reality check that has shown me I have no buisness teaching software that I cannot even pass a certification test on.

Best of luck to everyone else in their endeavors.

• 16. Re: Let's talk certification
                                        Chuck A. McIntyre Level 3

I knew a guy several years ago who taught Web design at the college level.  I used to build all of his Websites.  He knew the material he taught, but I'm not sure he could even build a Website.  I know another "Web designer" who took over the updates on a Website I built.  He was employed teaching Web design.  He messed things up so bad, I had to go back in and re-do nearly everything.  Just the fact that you are willing to take the test and you care enough about your students to want to be a great teacher says a lot about your character.  We need teachers like you, so don't give up!

• 17. Re: Let's talk certification
                                          Harm Millaard Level 7

I think you are a bit harsh on yourself. Teaching is not the same thing as doing it. In doing it, you may have flunked the test, but it is about teaching, and that is a whole different story. The skills to be a great teacher do not include being the best in doing, it is about how to make your pupils aware of how to figure out how they must do it. Make them understand the tools available to them, to follow a logical, methodical and analytical approach to solve their problem. Teach them a systematic way of problem solving. You don't have to be a super Einstein to teach Einstein.

This experience has tought you something to pass on to your pupils so they can learn from it as well and that is what teaching is about. In hindsight, you probably acknowledge that your experience with Encore was too limited to pass the exam. How often have you seen your students do the same? Use this experience as an example for your students to study just a bit more on related topics than past exams required and they are good to go.

• 18. Re: Let's talk certification
                                            Dag Norum Level 2

Listen to what Harm said about how to use your "failure".

One thing I always have said about newly graduated students, is that the only thing they know is how to pass the exam.

You can make a difference and teach them a bit  more, like: to fail is a good teacher, to have a practical approach to things (i.e. no matter what you know, find a way to get the job done), and so on, and your pupils will have a great benefit over many others.

Dag

• 19. Re: Let's talk certification
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9
                                              This was a harsh reality check that has shown me I have no buisness teaching software that I cannot even pass a certification test on.

Do not be too hard on yourself here. Some folk are much better at doing, than at testing. Others, well it's the opposite. I happen to "test" well, and amaze myself how this dummy can get such great scores. Also, tests, like this, try to cover a lot of bases, and depending on the Projects that one works in, might be a bit on the esoteric side. Not that they do not test knowledge of many aspects of the programs, but maybe areas that you have not worked in yet.

Also, to teach Video editing, even based on a particular NLE, one does not need to be an expert in all aspects of that NLE. I answer a ton of questions here on CS3 & CS4, but only use PrPro 2.0. Most of those answers are on general NLE work, though through a lot of reading, some are specific to versions too, though I have never personally edited in those. Same with PrElements, which I seldom use, but do have an older version, PrE 4. I can be helpful with general NLE questions, and even some specific to later versions - just by reading on them.

I'd urge you to NOT be discouraged, but to commit yourself to filling in the "blanks" with PrPro and Encore, and retaking the test.

When I went for my sommelier's exam, I did very well, except for a block on Italian wines and one on Eastern European wines. Very unlike me, and a big blow to my ego. Guess which wines I drank almost exclusively for about 3 mos.? At least the "homework" was great fun!

Do not give up. If the certification means something to you inside, or means something in your job - go for it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 20. Re: Let's talk certification
                                                Mortimer IOU Level 2

Above all, do not make a hasty decision, that you may come to regret, in the heat of your disappointment.

• 21. Re: Let's talk certification
                                                  pmasters8941 Level 1

Thank you all for the support and encouragement. Apparently, according to Adobe Certification Manager, I should have only been scored on 50 questions which really means I should have passed. But I am very thankful that Adobe has stepped up and made it right and provided a voucher that I will be using on Monday morning at the same time slot to retest and this time, become certified.

The test itself wasn't too bad. It probably did not help my test anexity when the first 12 questions were about Encore CS4, my weak spot.

The following was my score breakdown:

Setting Up Projects and Sequences 100%

Acquiring Media Assets 83%

Editing Footage in Premiere 71%

Working with Effects and Transitions 50%

Creating Titles 50%

Working With Audio 100%

Producing Output from Premiere 100%

Authoring DVDs, Flash, and Blu-Ray in Encore 50%

Importing and Exporting with Encore 40%

I do know a couple that I missed right off the bat. I missed the question about Color Sets in Encore using the = sign where I had the - sign. There was also about creating a new template from an existing title that I had no idea what the answer was.

I would have preferred more actual questions with exhibits as I learned Premiere by using the software and not as much reading a book where some of the potential answers were deliberate pitfalls with a sequence of steps to complete a task.

I think I was upset because I was so very close yet not close enough. I think if I shore up my shortcomings in Encore over the weekend and brish over the other areas in Premiere, I should at least improve my score. Now if my score decreases, I am afraid I will have another melt down.

Hopefully come Monday, I'll pass and be a Certified Instructor.

Thanks again for the encouragement. This is why I love this community.

• 22. Re: Let's talk certification
                                                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Your experience made me think about the far past...

When I was around 35 years, I used to give courses on organizational design and organizational effectiveness to HR Executives and Division Presidents and sometimes to Board of Directors, sometimes from large multi-nationals, who were usually 50+. These were rather intensive courses over three days.

There was no way I could match their experience, so the trick to teach them anything and make them leave with a feeling of "Hey, this was a useful course and I learned quite a bit" was to gather their experiences and have them discuss their experiences, the pitfalls they encountered, the plusses and minuses of the changes they effected and the logical, analytical way to measure improvements on the changes they effected.

I was always one to admit my lack of expertise, my lack of experience in comparison to theirs and I always admitted that their participation in the discussions was the basis for a good course. Almost every time they were very satisfied with the course.

The lesson I want to give is that you don't need to be the best in everything from a content POV. The teacher has to know how to play the group dynamics. Manage the learning process. That is what a teachers job is all about.

Next time you pass and you have the certificate. Does that make you a better teacher? No. Does it give you more authority? Maybe.

It boils down on how capable YOU are in creating enthusiasm with your students to investigate, learn from mistakes, and progress.

"Good judgement comes from experience and experience, well, that comes from bad judgement."

• 23. Re: Let's talk certification
                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

I know that you are talking about Monday, and it's now Thursday before, but if you want to get your head around Encore, Jeff Bellune's book, The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe EncoreDVD 2.0, Focal Press, is as good as it gets. Though written for EncoreDVD 2.0, 100% of that book applies through CS4, though CS4 has added BD and a strengthened Adobe Dynamic Link.That book will bring you completely up to speed. If you can find it locally, I'd spend the weekend with it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 24. Re: Let's talk certification
                                                        sync2rhythm Level 1

pmasters8941 wrote:

...I suppose its time to give up teaching if I can't pass the test and definitely time to give up film/video if I cannot even pass a test with the editor I use daily.

We need teachers that CARE. If you're one of them - Never give up teaching!

I think you probably have your workflow down and it works for you.

I don't know all "3 ways of doing everything" but I get my job done and everyone involved is normally satisfied with the outcome.

Although I understand the point of having you 'Certified' to teach a class on Certification; I do not believe that makes you any less of an editor or teacher.

- You may dig a ditch different than me. In the end, if we've both dug ditches that are satisfactory... noone cares about your Ditch-Digging Certification. Same as noone cares what NLE a good movie was cut on.

• 25. Re: Let's talk certification
                                                          Curt Wrigley Level 4

I suspect you will pass the 2nd time no problem.  Note that there is a pool of questions, so you may get a different mix the next time.

• 26. Re: Let's talk certification
                                                            pmasters8941 Level 1

I had a retake today.

Setting Up Projects and Sequences 100%

Acquiring Media Assets  83%

Editing Footage in Premiere 71%

Working with Effects and  Transitions 75%

Creating Titles 100%

Working With Audio 100%

Producing  Output from Premiere 100%

Authoring DVDs, Flash, and Blu-Ray in  Encore 80%

Importing and Exporting with Encore 100%

My score: 86%

Thanks for the support. I felt realy confident about it last night and I was eager to get there this morning for it. I took the test in about 20 minutes and did not try to overthink the questions and answers this time. I suspect that it played a large part in the last test.

Now I am certified in PR CS4 and better yet, with my teaching credentials, I get to be a Adobe Certified Instructor. Life is much better for me this week.

• 27. Re: Let's talk certification
                                                              Curt Wrigley Level 4

Excellent!  Congrats

• 28. Re: Let's talk certification
                                                                Harm Millaard Level 7

Great news.

Now relax and enjoy your achievement with a beer, wine or tropical cocktail in hand.

• 29. Re: Let's talk certification
                                                                  pmasters8941 Level 1

Thanks. I refused to let myself play with CS5 over the weekend so that I would not end up getting things confused between the two programs. Now I can finally play some more with CS5.

I feel extremely relieved.

• 30. Re: Let's talk certification
                                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news, and thanks for reporting your success!

Now, if you get to using Encore for authoring, do not forget that book I mentioned, as it will be very useful in bringing you up to speed with Encore.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 31. Re: Let's talk certification
                                                                      pmasters8941 Level 1

Thanks Curt. I will definitely check that out. What proved to be the biggest

help to me with Encore was Chad Perkin's video series on Encore CS4 at

Lynda.com. As you can see, I raised both sections considerably by 40-50%. I

definitely think it made the difference for me. I do think I will use Encore

a lot more now because I do understand it better. My next test will be After

Effects or Photoshop but not for a year at least.

So when it comes time to re-certify fro Premiere CS5, do I have to take that

test online or something?

• 32. Re: Let's talk certification
                                                                        Curt Wrigley Level 4

In the past you had to take the inital certification test at a facility.  Then updates you can take online.  I havent heard if there is a cs5 update yet.

• 33. Re: Let's talk certification
                                                                          pmasters8941 Level 1

Ok, so Adobe has received my test results and I have access to my logos. Does my avatar get changed to

reflect me being a Community Professional or does that come only with modertation?

• 34. Re: Let's talk certification
                                                                            Curt Wrigley Level 4

Its 3 different things.

• ACE = Adobe Certified Expert:  Means you passed the Cert exam
                                                                            • ACP = Adobe Community Professional:  Adobe invites folks to this program.  Typically folks who have written books, articles or deomonstrated particular expertise re an adobe product in public areana.  There is no way I know of to request being ACP; its by invitation.
                                                                            • Forum Moderators: Some ACP's also moderate the forums.
                                                                            • ACI= Adobe certified Instructor.  ACE's can pursue this certification as teachers.  http://www.adobe.com/support/certification/aci.html
                                                                            • 35. Re: Let's talk certification
                                                                              pmasters8941 Level 1

Thanks Curt. I'm still waiting for them to verfiy my teaching credentials so they can issue my ACI

How do we tell who the moderators are if they all do not have that designation by their name and avatars?

• 36. Re: Let's talk certification
                                                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

MOD's usually wear the glasses with the nose and a Groucho Marx mustache. You see them roaming the halls all the time. The only time that we ever see them without the glasses, nose and mustache is in the Lounge, but only after a few beers...

No, here we have at least three, Curt, Jeff Bellune and Jerry.K. Might be another one, who is afraid to come out of the "closet." There is really nothing in their Profile that says "MOD."

Congrats again on the test,

Hunt

• 37. Re: Let's talk certification
                                                                                  Curt Wrigley Level 4

Most moderators request the "Community Professional" Badge to ID them.  But it is somewhat inconsistent in:

• Not all ACPs request to display the ACP badge in their avatar  (its their choice)
                                                                                  • Not all ACPs who have the badge choose to moderate.  There are many ACP's that focus on other means of supporting adobe; books, articles, road shows...

But; if you hang out here long enough you will learn who the mods are.   Fortunately; in the Premiere forum there is a great community of helpful people, so the mod's job is not too difficult, ergo we dont stand out so much. 

• 38. Re: Let's talk certification
                                                                                    pmasters8941 Level 1

Thanks Bill. I truly feel a wonderful sense of accomplishment especially

because I wanted it so bad. What is really weird is my previous failure last

week made me appreciate my accomplishment that much more this week. So I'd

like to think it turned into a win-win either way.

• 39. Re: Let's talk certification
                                                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                                                      ergo we dont stand out so much.

This is completely true here. In some other fora? Well not so much.

I find that our MOD's fit right in, just like prolific contributors (save for the glasses, nose and mustache), and other than move a thread from here to Hardware, or Elements, do not have THAT much work to do. They are rather like the "hall monitors," who draw the time block, when all the students put their heads on their desk and take a nap - not much activity, other than helping users.

In some other fora, it's like being the hall monitor during the recess time block - nothing BUT activity, and much of it not fun.

We all try to make their jobs as easy, as we can, though things DO get out of hand in the Lounge, but that's another story.

Hunt

1 2 Previous Next