18 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2018 9:21 AM by Erik Lingerfelt

scratch disk and InDesign

iBabs2 Level 2

Hello,

Can you set up a scratch disk for InDesign, like you do for Photoshop and Illustrator?

thanks

babs

• 1. Re: scratch disk and InDesign
          Daniel Flavin Level 4

From the Help file, Keyword - File Handling

You can move the temp recovery folder to a location other than the default;

1. Choose Edit > Preferences > File Handling (Windows) or InDesign > Preferences > File Handling (Mac OS).
          2. Under Document Recovery Data, click Browse (Windows) or Choose (Mac OS).
          3. Specify the new location for the recovered document, click OK, and then click OK again.

• 2. Re: scratch disk and InDesign
            iBabs2 Level 2

Hi Daniel,

I figured that recovery option was the only one, but I wasn't sure I could put that on another disk.

Would doing this help the performance?

thanks

babs

• 3. Re: scratch disk and InDesign
              Daniel Flavin Level 4

Peter's more of the geek on this, but I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that since a scratch disk is not defined, than ID is using the OS swap or virtual paging file. If your looking to improve overall system performance, than a unique hdd, not a partition of the OS hdd is the way to go.

Dig?

• 4. Re: scratch disk and InDesign
                iBabs2 Level 2

I dig ;-)

thanks!

• 5. Re: scratch disk and InDesign
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Peter hasn't actually played with this in terms of looking at performance, so he doesn't have much of an answer. I don't even know for sure if the recovery information is different from the undo information (though I suspect it has to be) and the undo stuff is probably what slows things down the most. Moving the recovery file can't hurt, though.

• 6. Re: scratch disk and InDesign
                    iBabs2 Level 2

Thanks Peter...I'll try it, like you said, I ahve nothing to lose ;-)

• 7. Re: scratch disk and InDesign
                      Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Babs, You changed your hair. I like it.

• 8. Re: scratch disk and InDesign
                        iBabs2 Level 2

Well thank you Larry

• 9. Re: scratch disk and InDesign
                          Erik Lingerfelt Level 1

Hello there.
                          Let me jump in the answer. The File Recovery does NOT resolve the main problem. Indesign (CC 2018 in my case) still consumes about 20Gb of disk space just to start up! It's ridiculous! (I did set the file recovery to another disk).

My case: I'm an A.C.E., over 20 years experience, former Apple tech freelancer (parallel to my design two-man-agency) and I've seen a LOT (oh hush you...).

I'm on a Mac, Sierra OS (not High Sierra), CC 2018 fresh install, Mac Pro (new version) with 240Gb Flash Drive and External Thunderbolt 3 store cabinet with an SSD exclusive for Scratch Disk usage (Video/photo editing and desktop publishing).

Indesign is by FAR the most problematic of them all. Not having a Scratch Disk option (like Photoshop and Illustrator) is just e big, big BUMMER. I posted recently here (The specified item was not found. ) but still haven't got an answer from anyone.

Just to have an idea, I have 30Gb free space, open Indesign and it comes down to 2Gb!! Ridiculous. Just, ridiculous.
                          Adobe HAS to see about this. Give Indesign a Scratch Disk option, for crying out loud! How hard can that be? (I also have a background in computer programming)

All we can do is HOPE Adobe sees this.

Erik.

• 10. Re: scratch disk and InDesign
                            Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Adobe will not see this because this is largely a user forum.

Post feature requests here:

Feature Requests/Bugs

• 11. Re: scratch disk and InDesign
                              Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi Erik,

I have a different experience, but, well, I'm not on Sierra but on OS X 10.11.6 with an old MacBook Pro without an internal Flash Drive. Currently I have 10 documents open, about 40 pages with heavy image usage. I can see no big diminishing of internal disk space. InDesign is installed on the system disk, the documents are from my Dropbox folder on the same disk.

If I close all documents and quit InDesign about 1 Gb of disk space will be freed.

Regards,
                              Uwe

• 12. Re: scratch disk and InDesign
                                Erik Lingerfelt Level 1

Hey Laubender,

What version of Indesign are you using? This is something that got terribly worse in the latest versions - CC 2015 up to 2018.

• 13. Re: scratch disk and InDesign
                                  Erik Lingerfelt Level 1

Ah, I thought they had people watching the forums. Thanks!

• 14. Re: scratch disk and InDesign
                                    rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Just to have an idea, I have 30Gb free space, open Indesign and it comes down to 2Gb!!

I'm not seeing that problem running 2018 on High Sierra 10.3.3. Do you get the space loss when you launch ID after a system restart, or do you have other applications running before starting ID?

• 15. Re: scratch disk and InDesign
                                      Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Erik+Lingerfelt  wrote

… What version of Indesign are you using? …

The latest CC 2018.

Regards,
                                      Uwe

• 16. Re: scratch disk and InDesign
                                        Erik Lingerfelt Level 1

I generally start ID last. But I "guess" I've tested with only ID after a reboot. Will try again now just to be absolutely sure.
                                        But one thing is sure... I check the space before ID and right after ID - and there is the loss.

EDIT:

Ok, just rebooted and I got 31Gb free space.
                                        Opened Activity Monitor to see the Processes for Bytes Written on the Disk.
                                        Opened ID first and watched:
                                             Took up 4,8Gb on disk. Kept that up to now.
                                        Opened Photoshop afterwards:
                                             PS took up 2,76Gb of space.
                                        Opened Illustrator:
                                             AI took up 1,5Mb (Megabytes!) - Ahhhh, that a boy!
                                        Opened Chrome (and here I am):
                                             Took up 76Mb. Fine with me.

So, at the end, I kept 19Gb on my disk.
                                        A drastic difference from my previous tests. This one was more throughly done.

So, what can we consider? Some bug from starting ID LAST?
                                        Are those values I got normal? I still think they are kind of high, even though they are not absurdly high as before.

Hummmmmmmm.....

• 17. Re: scratch disk and InDesign
                                          rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I generally start ID last.

If you start Photoshop before InDesign and you've allocated too much RAM in Photoshop's Performance Memory Usage preference, you might be starving ID of RAM? Even if there were a scratch disk preference I would want to set up my preferences so ID would get enough RAM and would only go to the disk in rare cases.

2 people found this helpful
                                          • 18. Re: scratch disk and InDesign
                                            Erik Lingerfelt Level 1

Hey Rob, I had forgotten about the memory setting in PS - which WAS my main tool a few years back. I did have around 70% of the memory set for it, so ID really did starve. And when an App has no RAM to work with, Disk Space is allocated for it instead. Great advice!

Thanks! Everything is running and I got my 19Gb free space. I'll consider what all Apps got is the required, even though I have 16Gb RAM.

1 person found this helpful