13 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2010 5:44 AM by Dyceman_2000

2 Problems - Can't open a PDF inside IE 8, can't open a link in a PDF

irablum1 Level 1

I am running Vista Business on a Lenovo ThinkCentre with dual core Intel processor, 2 GB RAM. I have 2 problems with Reader 9.3.0.

First it will not open a PDF inside IE 8. Instead it opens the PDF in a new Reader window. It does open a PDF inside Firefox. In Edit|Preferences|Internet the Display PDF in browser checkbox is checked. In IE 8 Tools|Manage Add-ons|Run without permission Adobe PDF Reader is Enabled.

The second problem is that I cannot open a link in a PDF file. When I place the cursor over an e-mail or internet link in a PDF file the little hand appears. However when I click on the link nothing at all happens.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix either of these problems?

Ira B.

• 1. Re: 2 Problems - Can't open a PDF inside IE 8, can't open a link in a PDF
          Dyceman_2000

I have this very same issue. The issue occured as soon as we migrated to IE 8. I have even went through to make sure it was not a Microsoft Issue with IE8. I have spoken with a MS support engineer and He stated that it is a bug with Adobe Acrobat Reader. Microsoft stated that they had spoken with Adobe about this issue and could not give a time line on the resolution.

I would like to have this issue resolved as soon as possible aka roll out with a update. Is there anyone that can even give us a update.

Russell Fordyce

• 2. Re: 2 Problems - Can't open a PDF inside IE 8, can't open a link in a PDF
            vbhv_malik Level 1

One thing you can try is repairing you reader from Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel.

• 3. Re: 2 Problems - Can't open a PDF inside IE 8, can't open a link in a PDF
              Dyceman_2000 Level 1

I have tried that and the same issue happens.

Russell Fordyce

• 4. Re: 2 Problems - Can't open a PDF inside IE 8, can't open a link in a PDF
                SheilaB8

I'm having the same problem with Firefox - anyone found a workaround yet?

• 5. Re: 2 Problems - Can't open a PDF inside IE 8, can't open a link in a PDF
                  irablum1 Level 1

In the replies I have been receiving, nobody has said which problem of the

two I wrote about they are experiencing. I assume that all are using Vista

(I use Vista business) since neither of these problems appear on my machine

that runs XP Pro.

I have managed to get around these problems and am happy to share my

experiences with all, but I advise not getting too excited since my solution

may not be exactly what others might want. Of the two problems, the one

where I was unable to open an e-mail or web link in Acrobat Reader was the

more serious for me. I edit a couple of newsletters that almost always

contain some of these links and I need to be able to test them to make sure

they are correct before I send out a newsletter.

I found out that if I used Foxit Reader in place of Acrobat Reader I was

able to open all links with no problems. For a while I had both readers

installed with both able to open PDFs in IE8 but only Foxit able to open

links in a PDF file. Then Foxit Reader began to exhibit the problem of PDFs

not opening in an IE8 browser window. Then the problem spread to Acrobat

reader. I have no idea as to the cause.

I tried removing and re-installing both Readers but was unable to rid myself

of the problem. I then contacted Foxit support for some assistance. Yes,

unlike Adobe, they actually try to help if you are having a problem with

Foxit Reader. Foxit support gave me a procedure to try but it did not work

at first. I finally found out that I had to install Foxit Reader with User

Access Control (UAC) shut off in Vista. If UAC was not shut off, Foxit's

addin for IE8 would not install properly. Then I re-enabled UAC and followed

the procedure Foxit support suggested which is:

1. Login your machine with admin account, right click on > FoxitReader.exe

2. Select "Properties"

3. Select "Compatibility" tab

4. Uncheck "Run this program as an administrator" under "Privilege Level"

5. Select "Show settings for all users"

6. Click on "Continue" if there is a prompt.

7. Uncheck "Run this program as an administrator" under "Privilege Level".

(This was already unchecked in my case.)

After this Foxit Reader opened PDF files in browser windows in both IE8 and

Firefox.

I think that this procedure might work for Acrobat Reader; at least I think

it might be worth a try. I don't want to try it myself because my computer

is working just fine right now with Foxit Reader and I don't want to take

the chance of screwing it up since it was so difficult for me to get to this

point.

If someone would like to try it, I suggest removing Acrobat Reader, then

disabling UAC and re-installing Acrobat Reader. Then enable UAC again. Then

follow the 7 steps above for AcroRd32.exe. I am hopeful, but by no means

certain, that then PDF files will open in an IE8 browser window. I would

appreciate it that, if anyone tries this, they would let me know their

results. I regret not being able to provide a more definitive solution.

irablum1

• 6. Re: 2 Problems - Can't open a PDF inside IE 8, can't open a link in a PDF
                    tworm Level 1

If you look under Preferences > Trust Manager > Change Settings Everything wouldn't happen to be grayed out would it. That is my problem. I can't open links in Reader either. It just says the link was blocked and gives me no option to allow the site or link. Thats when I notices the settings in Trust Manager were grayed out. I have posted all over the forum about this problem and nobody has an answer and nobody says they have the same problem. Just curious if this is the same problem but my OS is XP and browser is 7 or 8.

• 7. Re: 2 Problems - Can't open a PDF inside IE 8, can't open a link in a PDF
                      irablum1 Level 1

My problems were only with Vista. I have an old IBM ThinkPad laptop running

XP Pro. I have no problems with Adobe Acrobat Reader on it at all. Under

Preferences > Trust Manager > Change Settings nothing is grayed out.

irablum1

• 8. Re: 2 Problems - Can't open a PDF inside IE 8, can't open a link in a PDF
                        Dyceman_2000 Level 1

I have Windows XP Pro SP3 and adobe reader version 9.3.2. The issue is with the reader and IE8. It works with IE7, but it does not work with IE 8.0.6001 version.

• 9. Re: 2 Problems - Can't open a PDF inside IE 8, can't open a link in a PDF
                          Dyceman_2000 Level 1

I was able to change the setting. I am not experiencing this issue.

• 10. Re: 2 Problems - Can't open a PDF inside IE 8, can't open a link in a PDF
                            irablum1 Level 1

I don't know what to say to you. On my laptop I have Windows XP Pro SP3,

Adobe Reader version 9.3.2 and IE 8.0.6001.18702. On this computer I have no

problems with Adobe Reader; I can open PDF files in IE8 and can open links

in a PDF file. My problems were only with Vista. I would suggest that your

problems are particular to your computer. It is entirely possible that my

problems with Vista were particular to that computer. Fortunately, I was

able to find a workaround by using Foxit Reader.

irablum1

• 11. Re: 2 Problems - Can't open a PDF inside IE 8, can't open a link in a PDF
                              Dyceman_2000 Level 1

I could not use the other reader in this situation. I agre with you that it could be something with the computer. Strange this is that it works with IE 7 and not IE 8. I have tested a Windows & and Vista and did not have any issues.

I work for my company help desk and had a user have this issue for about 4 months and would like to find the cause and resolve this. As I mentioned before I had spoken with Micorosft support and they had told me that this is a Adobe issue. They have also stated that they had spoken with Adobe support to make them aware of this issue. They also stated that Adobe is working on this issue.

Did anyone solve this issue or is it getting worked out?

• 12. Re: 2 Problems - Can't open a PDF inside IE 8, can't open a link in a PDF
                                Elemanzer Level 1

I'm assuming this was a mass deployment and you are not running the setup.exe.

If that is the case, who ever made the package made one error

In the custom wizard select the option to let the installer decide how PDFs are open and not the other 2 options.  If you select to let Pro open when both reader and pro are on a machine you can't open links inside browsers.  You could always go under prefences and disable opening link in browsers which forces them to launch inside reader.

• 13. Re: 2 Problems - Can't open a PDF inside IE 8, can't open a link in a PDF
                                  Dyceman_2000 Level 1

Yes the installation was a mass deploy. This deployment was through WSUS. As you may be aware of or not, WSUS does not prep in deplotying out IE8.

The machine does not have both reader and acrobat standard/pro install. It only has Reader.

Well I have a acrobat standard 9 machine that had the same problem so I call Adobe. The tech stated that it is a compatiablility issue with WIndows XP Pro IE8 and Adobe. He stated that I had to revert to IE7. Also that they will not spend any man hours on developing a fix since WIN XP end of support is coming to a close.

Well this is going to be my last post on this since it is a hopeless cause. Chat later in a different issue.