7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2010 10:08 AM by the_wine_snob

APE 8.0.1 Copy Title Attributes

dennisbthomas Level 1

There doesn't appear to be a method of copying the attributes of a title, such as text style, text options, color, etc. from an exiting title to a new title.

Is there such a method or a way to create a template for a title and then reuse it but with different words?

Thanks for your help.

Dennis

• 1. Re: APE 8.0.1 Copy Title Attributes
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Dennis,

About the only way that I know to transfer Title attributes is by Saving the Title. This creates a PRTL (basically a Title Template). In PrPro, these are Saved to the My Documents folder, for use in multiple Projects.

I do have to admit that I do little Titling in PrE, so am probably not the best to comment on this. I use PrPro mostly, and that is the way that it works. Now, my PRTL files, are also available in PrE 4, so there is similarity.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: APE 8.0.1 Copy Title Attributes
            dennisbthomas Level 1

Hi Bill,

Thanks for you comments!

By Saving the Title do you mean copying the title from an existing title? If so I have tried that but it doesn't create a new title file, only references the existing title. So when you change one of the tiles on the timeline, both of them get changed.

I find it time consuming to create several titles with the same characteristics with only different texts.

I may look around for a different program to manage titles and then insert them as .jpg or something like that.

It would be great to have the ability to have a create a tile template and then apply that to a list of titles. Would be easy and quick to change a title characteristic and have it apply to many titles. Maybe wishful thinking for APE8.

Thanks

Dennis

• 3. Re: APE 8.0.1 Copy Title Attributes
              the_wine_snob Level 9

For what you describe, I'd do my Title, per necessary specs., and then in the Project Panel, Rt-click, choosing Copy. This will place a Copy of that Title into the Project Panel, and you can alter it, with text changes, etc., to fit.

Each will be a separate Title, and not just an Instance of that one.

Hope that helps,

Hunt

• 4. Re: APE 8.0.1 Copy Title Attributes
                dennisbthomas Level 1

Thanks Bill!

That is exactly what I needed.

Works great.

Dennis

• 5. Re: APE 8.0.1 Copy Title Attributes
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Dennis,

You are most welcome. Sorry that I got off on the Title Template path, but I misunderstood exactly what you had, and what you needed to do.

PrPro Titler has a little icon at the top of the Panel, New Title Base on Existing. It's a 2-click operation, and very slightly more intuitive than the Rt-click>Copy, but they work exactly the same.

For a little background, more for others, who find this thread, when one creates a Title, either from scratch, or from an included PrE Template, that Title goes into the Project Panel. From there, it can be used an unlimited number of times. Each of those uses is an Instance of THAT Title. Let's take an example of a simple text Title, "Meanwhle Back at the Ranch." You use it 12 times, throughout your Timeline, and then discover that you mis-spelled "Meanwhile." You can correct it two ways, but I always go to the Title in Project Panel. Dbl-click on it, to open it in Titler. Correct the spelling, and all 12 Instances will update, as they are linked to the "parent" Title, as "child" Titles.

Now, say you want a similar Title w/ the same text Styles, any artwork, and the like. This is going to be "Meanwhile Back in Town." By using the Rt-click>Copy, you create a new "parent" Title in the Project Panel. By default, PrE will just append the word "Copy" to the Title name, but you can do anything that you want with that name. Now, with a Dbl-click on that "copy," when you change the text to "Meanwhile Back in Town," you still have the full compliment of Styles, etc., but none of the 12 Instances of the original Title are affected. You have a new "parent" Title, with is not linked to the original. You can now use Instances of that new Title, to your heart's content. Those Instances are "child" Titles to that new "parent" Tilte.

Hope that helps someone else in the future,

Hunt

• 6. Re: APE 8.0.1 Copy Title Attributes
                    dennisbthomas Level 1

Thanks Bill for the great explanation.

I haven't seen any such info in any documentation or books.

Thanks again,

Dennis

• 7. Re: APE 8.0.1 Copy Title Attributes
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Dennis,

We try around here. I would assume that Steve Grisetti covers this in his PrE 8 book, as he also did a good job, vis-a-vis Titler, in his PrE 7 book.

Now, in my case, I have to keep focused, as to which program I am in, as Titler is a bit different between PrE and PrPro - I always get confused and have to just sit down with a cup of coffee and get my mind around the particular program - Titler is similar, but with differences. Keeps me on my toes!

Good luck,

Hunt