5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2007 4:14 PM by dbr 200

Fireworks throws out changes

dbr 200
      I save the file, and it is not what I created. I'm beginning to think there's a bug in my software.
      I'm creating behaviors in FW- swap image rollovers. It was working fine, but now it seems it doesn't want to accept the behaviors- besides this, the file does not update in DW.
      Another problem I'm having is that the text jumps up slightly in one of the DW pages (I am using a template for rollover/links on all my content pages) and yet when I look at it in FW, even zoomed in, I do not see it do this little jump when I click on the different frames in the behaviors panel. I can't fix something that doesn't show up, and I'm spending hours trying to get this to work right and doing it over and over again. I did a few SAVE AS's, so maybe DW would read the new file, but it didn't, and there was no change to the DW file at all. Is there something that will update all DW files when you have a page open?

I had a really weird thing happen, in that I did not work on this for a few weeks, and when I opened the file the text had made itself larger. I have the Premium Web CS3. Is anyone else having this issue? It's beyond maddening.
        • 1. Re: Fireworks throws out changes
          pixlor Level 4
          When you do a Save As, Fireworks doesn't default to the folder it last opened a file from, but the folder it last saved one to. Double check where your saved file is going. I've banged my head on that one many times.

I haven't seen my text resize, though.
          • 2. Re: Fireworks throws out changes
            dbr 200 Level 1
            Thanks, but that isn't the problem- I'm used to checking that carefully. At one point, FW didn't even recognize that there WAS a file- even though it was open on the screen. I'm really upset about this, because I thought I had my website almost finished, and now it may have to be completely redone, if I have to make the FW files all over again, and then export them to DW and start the pages over again. I don't know any other way to get DW to recognize the new files.
            • 3. Re: Fireworks throws out changes
              pixlor Level 4
              Hmm. Don't know, then. The main experts are not usually on the board on weekends, so make sure you check back on Monday. Other than that, though, The better thing would probably be to create just the images with FW and create the rollover code in DW. DW will produce better code.
              • 4. Re: Fireworks throws out changes
                Level 7
                dbr 200 wrote:
                > I save the file, and it is not what I created. I'm beginning to think there's a
                > bug in my software.
                > I'm creating behaviors in FW- swap image rollovers. It was working fine, but
                > now it seems it doesn't want to accept the behaviors-

As pixlor suggested, you should be creating the roll-over code in DW and
                just use FW for the images. You will be saving yourself some headaches.

besides this, the file does not update in DW.
                (I am using a template for rollover/links on all my content pages)

If you are using a DW template that contains your FW menu, you would
                need to re-insert the changed FW html for the changes to show up in your
                pages. Simply editing the file will not work.

SKB

• 5. Re: Fireworks throws out changes
                  dbr 200 Level 1
                  Thanks a lot for your replies- I guess the reason I decided to do the behaviors in FW is so that there is no chance of a jump or movement when the image changes color. I had originally started the whole thing as you suggested but then it seemed so much easier in FW with creating the frames and just adding the behaviors.

Well at least now I know I can't update FW files- a major problem it seems to me. I wish I could find a reference source for the FW/DW compatibility behaviors. I can figure out how to use the program as far as design and optimization goes, though I wouldn't use it for design or drawing anyway since I find it very user-unfriendly compared to PS and Illustrator.