3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2010 3:22 PM by immaginativa

Trouble opening project

immaginativa

Hello, I hope I can get some help here.

I was using Premiere CS4 on a Vista 64 laptop when my hard disk became damaged and unusable. I got a new laptop, which has Windows 7 and has the same memory as my other (4 GB) and more hard disk space (500GB). I re-installed Premiere Pro and copied all my backup files into the right directories. The video is all in subfolders in My Videos. I was able to open all my projects successfully except (naturally) the most important one.

The project would either load up about 95%, then crash, or would open, but it couldn't find all or most of my video files, so I got the "Where is" dialog box. I located some of them, but I have 150 or so video cips, so it was tedious. After a while, I clicked Work Offline for the rest and went into the project without difficulty and the files I had linked to where there and were fine.

I saved, then exited just to test everything out. When I tried to load the project again, it absolutely would not open at all. I did this numerous times (happily I have a backup of the project file on a separate hard drive and made copies of it). The same thing always happens and I cannot understand it. It's a large project (for me) and probably has some 40-45 minutes of video in it, maybe 10 short sequences..What I don't understand is why for all my other video projects that are in the same folder (My Videos), Premiere will be able to find the video but for this one it won't. All the still image files will load just fine; they are in another directory.

Now the other important question. I've read a few questions similar to mine and the advice given for difficulties without possibly corrupt projects, and the suggestion was to link the offline files within the project using Project-Link Media until you find a problem. This would be fine with me, but when I try selecting offline clips in any of my projets, and go to the Project menu, Link Media will be inactive (gray instead of black) so I can't use. it. Mayvbe it's something very simple I'm not doing right. I actually haven't used this method before, and I am fairly new to Premiere Pro.

I would appreciate any help at all; I'm at my wit's end. this is a very important project for me, into which I have put an enormous amount of work.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Trouble opening project
          Harm Millaard Level 7

In the project panel, choose replace footage and select the original file. That will relink them and will update the file location.

While you are at it, modify your laptop to meet at least minimum requirements: a DEDICATED physical 7200 RPM SATA disk for your media.

• 2. Re: Trouble opening project
            the_wine_snob Level 9
            The project would either load up about 95%, then crash, or would open, but it couldn't find all or most of my video files, so I got the "Where is" dialog box. I located some of them, but I have 150 or so video cips, so it was tedious. After a while, I clicked Work Offline for the rest and went into the project without difficulty and the files I had linked to where there and were fine.

Once you have done a Save (overwriting your PRPROJ file) with the media listed as Off-Line, you will now have to manually re-link each Asset.

Unless your Assets were spread around multiple folders, doing the linking, when Opening the Project is really pretty easy, as PrPro is smart enough to look in each folder, when you Find the first Asset in that folder, and gather the links for all other Assets in that folder. Repeat, for each folder, until done.

When I wish to do work Off-Line, I will ALWAYS do a Save_As, or Save_As_a_Copy, and NEVER a Save. This ARTICLE will give you tips on the differences, plus some background on the PRPROJ files.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Trouble opening project
              immaginativa Level 1

Thanks, everyone. I have a little more perspective now.

While I was working in the "where is" dialog box, I did find one file that the program wouldn't recognize. I'm pretty sure it became corrupt because of the defective hard drive. I believe I will just have to remove that one, and maybe also search for others and replade them. And not close the program until everything has been linked. Anyway, thanks a lot.