1 2 Previous Next 76 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2011 4:01 PM by 919Greg

Importing video into slideshow

ghighigirl59 Level 1

Do you need to down-rez video content when bringing into a pre ele7 slideshow, like you do with still photos?  If so, how do I go about it?

• 1. Re: Importing video into slideshow
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

No. Video is already at video resolution.

But the source of your video can make a difference. What type of camcorder did your video come from?

Remember, per the FAQs to the right of this forum, you can't use video from a still camera in Premiere Elements without converting it first to DV-AVIs.

• 2. Re: Importing video into slideshow
            the_wine_snob Level 9

There are several workflows, but everything depends on what you are starting with, and on the Project Preset, that you need to get it into.

As Steve asks, can you furnish details on both your source footage and also the Project Preset, that you wish to get the source footage into?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Importing video into slideshow
              ghighigirl59 Level 1

Vido camera is Sony DCR-SR47.  It produces AC3 codec, MPEG2.  Thanks for the head's up on the video from still camera.  Hunt asked me for the project preset.  If I understand correctly, it is NTSV-DV-Standard 48kHz.

• 4. Re: Importing video into slideshow
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

That's a standard DV hard drive camcorder. Make sure you use the DVD/Hard Drive Camcorder preset when you create your project.

Also, be sure to follow the specs in our FAQs (to the right of this forum) on using photos in Premiere Elements -- and be sure to render often (by pressing Enter).

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/431851?tstart=0

• 5. Re: Importing video into slideshow
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for the info. Steve has covered the Preset, above.

Do take his comments on the size of the stills to heart. This ARTICLE will give you tips, if you need to Scale the images.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Importing video into slideshow
                    ghighigirl59 Level 1

I have been luckily very successful with other slideshows I have created without resizing my photos, as I said, lucky.

This is the first time I am incorporating videos with still photos, which has prompted this question.  I do have one slideshow that I have not been successful with burning to DVD.  The entire slideshow seems fine (system doesn't choke up, etc) until I go to burn and get a codec error.

Do you think that since I did not resize (de-res) the photos, it could be causing the codec error?  I have reconstructed this slideshow 3 times, to no avail. Each time is about 40 hours of work.  I'm sure you understand my frustration!!!  You guys have been extremely helpful, so thanks alot.

• 7. Re: Importing video into slideshow
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Can you furnish the exact text of the CODEC error?

The size of the images can cause other issues, including quality loss, as PrE Scales them to fit the Frame Size, but should have zero to do with any CODEC error.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Importing video into slideshow
                        Barb__O Level 4

The Sony DCR-SR47 is a standard definition MPEG 2 HDD camera.

However, its manual on the Sony site shows that it can record either 5.1 audio or stereo audio.  Now, 5.1 audio with standard defintion video is handled in a weird way by Premiere Elements 7 (even with the DVD/Hard Drive Camcorder preset), so we may want to discuss how to handle the 5.1 audio.

Was the camera set to record 5.1 audio or stereo audio when these videos were recorded ?

How many video files will you be adding to this project ?

Did your camera come with any Sony software that can convert 5.1 audio to stereo audio ?

• 9. Re: Importing video into slideshow
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

ghighigirl59

You say that your video is coming from the Sony DCR-SR47 which is recording SD with MPEG2 compression and probably Dolby Digital 2 ch stereo to the camcorder's hard drive. Can I assume that this is standard 4:3? What is the file extension? Whatever the case, this is my suggestion:

1. Do a mini test run. Open a new project with the project preset of NTSC Hard Disk Flash Memory Camcorders/Standard or Widescreen depending on your video.

2. Import just your video from its hard drive save location. Can you place it on video track 1? I am assuming that you can.

3. Go to Share/Disc/Disc DVD and in the burn dialog set for NTSC Standard or Widescreen depending on your video.

4. Hit Burn. Does the burn go to completion or do you get an error message in the process. If you do get an error message, when does it happen and what exactly does it say?

If the mini test runs is not successful and you get some type of a codec error message and it has not suggested before, take a copy of the video through the free utility named gspot and read off it properties, especially Video Codec: Name: Status:

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/v26x/quick_start.html

I am not sure if it was asked before, but do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer?

I will be watching for your results.

ATR

• 10. Re: Importing video into slideshow
                            ghighigirl59 Level 1

This camera records in 2c stereo.

• 11. Re: Importing video into slideshow
                              ghighigirl59 Level 1

I had the camera in the 16:9 mode.  The extension is .mpg.

Before I started creating the slideshow, I did burn one of the segments to a DVD and watch it on TV and it did work, so I assume I am on the right track. 

I do need to see if I am running the latest version of Quicktime.

Thanks for your help.

P.S. Should I change the format to 4:3?

• 12. Re: Importing video into slideshow
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

ghighigirl59

If your video is SD widescreen (720 x 480 with a 16:9 flag) and it is being recorded to your camcorder's hard drive as MPEG2, then the Premiere Elements project preset (new project dialog) of choice would be: NTSC or PAL (depending on your location), Hard Disk Flash Memory Camcorders, Widescreen. That project preset will give you the appropriate template from which to edit in the Edit Mode Monitor. You mention 4:3. Is there any reason why you want to convert this 16:9 import into an export of 4:3? If not, then Share/Disc/Disc DVD, with a Widescreen preset there.

Also, if you have successfully burned one of the segments of the whole before, then look more closely what is in the rest of the Timeline to see if you can determine what is different (if anything).

At the end of your last post you asked "Should I change the format to 4:3?" If you mean by that, should you change the camcorder settings from 16:9 to 4:3, that is up to you. The basic idea is to have the project preset set so that it reflects the properties of your video. Basically, either way you should not be getting codec error message during the encoding/burning phase of the project.

But important to check out the Quicktime version that is installed on the same computer as Premiere Elements and update it if indicated.

I will be watching for your progress.

ATR

• 13. Re: Importing video into slideshow
                                  ghighigirl59 Level 1

Hi Guys,

I'm in a tizzy again.  I tried to rebuild this entire slideshow on another computer and got everything done and now the file won't even open.  The computer sits there for 45 minutes and nothing happens.  The file size is 18MB.  So I decided I would rebuild it once again.  I aim to put the still photos in one file and the videos in another and burn 2 separate disks.

Now here's the problem.  When I first set up my file and the first thing I want to do is create a title, the program is shutting down on me.  Adobe is encountering a problem and needs to shut down.  The error I got is the following:

Error Signature

Applicaton Name:  Adobe PreE.exe.app ver 7.0

Mod name: msvcr80.dll

Mod version: 8.050727.3053

Offset:  00050c1c

I had this problem the other night, so I removed the entire application and then reinstalled and still have the same error.

The only additional info I have is that when I set up the file, I chose to save it on my external hard drive (which I've always done).  The other thing is that in previous threads it was noted that my camcorder is set to 16:9, but I am saving the file as standard, not widescreen, does that matter?

Other than that, I am just simply frustrated to say the least.  I love the program and the themes, titles, etc. and that's why I have bought every version since Adobe came out with PreE, but this is why I have not upgraded to 8.0.  I'm tired of spending money on something that gives me so much frustration!!!

• 14. Re: Importing video into slideshow
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

ghighigirl59

I am not over this way too often, but I will try to follow your issue to a successful conclusion.

I need to focus in on your details

1. When you say that you have rebuilt your slideshow on another computer, what program is on that other computer for the rebuilding of the slideshow...Premiere Elements 7 or Premiere Elements 8 or other? Your first try and the "will not open" could be the oversized photos catching up with you??? And, this "another computer", is it a new operating system (like Windows 7 64 bit) as compared to what you were using originally? Did you ever get the original computer and Premiere Elements 7 to work to give you your wanted end product? How does the original computer compare to the another computer that you mention here?

2. I am understanding that your goal is to have to separate DVD-VIDEO discs, one with all stills media and one with all video media. But, I am confused by what you mean by file and how that differs from a project. By file do you mean a project file or are you exporting your Timeline to save it rather than saving the project as a project.prel for further edits?

"Now here's the problem.  When I first set up my file and the first thing I want to do is create a title, the program is shutting down on me.  Adobe is encountering a problem and needs to shut down.  The error I got is the following:

Error Signature

Applicaton Name:  Adobe PreE.exe.app ver 7.0

Mod name: msvcr80.dll

Mod version: 8.050727.3053

Offset:  00050c1c"

What is in this file to which you referred in the quote by saying "When I first set up my file...."? What video card is installed in the computer that you are using? Both Premiere Elements 7 and 8 do have that msvcr80.dll in its program files. At this point, I am not sure of significance of that msvcr80.dll. I will look into that, but am hoping that your further responses will give us other avenues to follow.

"The only additional info I have is that when I set up the file, I chose to save it on my external hard drive (which I've always done).  The other thing is that in previous threads it was noted that my camcorder is set to 16:9, but I am saving the file as standard, not widescreen, does that matter?"

Here is the part the part that is confusing me....if you have Premiere Elements project set for DV Widescreen (16:9) in the new project dialog and you work in this project, you should be saving this project as a project prel file if you want to continue to work in the project. You take care of the save location for that in the new project dialog Save In location before the workspace even opens. When you save the project as a project prel, it saves as you set it, that is, as a 16:9 project. From what you wrote, it sounds like you are exporting your project under one of the Share choices? If so, why and which one? If your project is 16:9, you have edited 16:9, and you want 16:9, why save as 4:3?

Please review the above comments and let me know if I have misread anything that you have written or need clarification on what I have written.

I know, a lot of questions, but do not give up. We can take one at a time and figure this out.

ATR

• 15. Re: Importing video into slideshow
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

ghighigirl59

This is my current round up on msvcr80.dll

http://www.file.net/process/msvcr80.dll.html

http://www.dll-error-fixes.com/fix-missing-msvcr80dll-error/

Maybe check Program Files\Adobe\Premiere Elements 7\ and see if you can find a file named msvcr80.dll.

ATR

• 16. Re: Importing video into slideshow
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

ghighigirl59

Forget about all the rest for now and delete/purge the Premiere Elements 7 preferences (if that is the version that you are using) to get rid of the msvcr80.dll error message. Here is the route:

Program Files

Local Disk (C:)

Documents and Settings

Owner

Application Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and specifically delete the file named "Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs"...close out of there....open Premiere Elements 7 and see if the msvcr80.dll problem is gone.

Background....

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/567159?tstart=30

athegn’s solution for Premiere Elements 7 and msvcr80.dll reported here and at Elements  Village was trashing the preferences

May not solve all the problems, but may take care of the msvcr80.dll one.

Looking forward to your results.

ATR.

• 17. Re: Importing video into slideshow
                                          ghighigirl59 Level 1

Ok, I will try to clear up this confusion for you.  Before I answer your questions, I'll let you know what I did.  I did find the MSVCR80.dll file in Adobe/PreE 7, but did not find it in my system32.  I also deleted the preferences as you suggested.  I ran a complete scan as well and flushed any threats.  I started once again and got the same error I had gotten at the start of my thread - application error - The exception unknown software exception 0xc000000d occurred in the application at location 0x78138aa0.  Click ok to terminate program.

Answers to questions:

1.  The other computer I'm referring to where I recreated the project is the exact same set up (Win XP, SP3, Intel 2 Duo, 2.4 GHz, 2 GB RAM, PreE7), on the actual PC.  It was not the oversized photos as I de-rez'd them prior.  The  other computer where the system keeps shutting down on me is the same set up,  however, it is a virtural PC running on my MAC.  I've created quite a few projects here, so I'm not concerned that it is a virtual machine.

2.  What I'm calling a file, is really a project.  Sorry for the confusion on this.  No I am not exporting the timeline.  From the start, I start a new project and create the "save in" folder on my external drive in a folder named "my videos" with a subfolder of a specific name.  I don't specify where the .prel, .log, .prv, .MACC files go.  I assume the program knows where to put them in this "video" folder.  The project setting is NTSC-DV-Standard 48kHz.

3.  Once again, when I first set up my file - I do mean project.  I don't know what video card I have.  Frankly because its a virtual machine, I'm not sure if it using the video card of the MAC or not.  Once again, I am not exporting the project under one of the share choices.

FYI, I just verified that my PC and virtual PC both have the same settings.  Both have MSVCR80.dll in the PreE7 folder.  Both are version 8.0.50727.42. Neither of them have the MSVCR80.dll in system 32.  I have not done anything with the 2nd response you sent regarding the 2 links that refer to fixing the MSVCR80.dll file.

Please advise what step to take next.

Thanks.

• 18. Re: Importing video into slideshow
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

ghighigirl59

I have travel plans from Thursday through Sunday afternoon. I am taking a copy of this thread with me and will re-read it to evaluate where we have been and where we are. If I can get my hands on a computer at my destination, I will post further comments. If that is not possible, then I will be back at my regular home computer by Sunday afternoon.

ATR

• 19. Re: Importing video into slideshow
                                              ghighigirl59 Level 1

Hello,

I am patiently waiting to hear from you as to whether you have come up with something to try.  My other PC now has the same problem.  I was thinking about doing a system restore.What do you think?

• 20. Re: Importing video into slideshow
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

ghighigirl59

Sorry for the delay. Thanks for your patience.

Whichever PC or Virtual PC that you using…..

One of the first things that I want you to do is to make sure that the Scratch Files are set up OK and not take anything for granted at this point. You say that you have your project.prel file saved to special folder on an external hard drive. That drive should have a NTFS format, not FAT32. Make sure that Premiere Elements Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks has all it options directed to “Same As Project”. And double check to make sure that you have adequate free space on that external hard drive.

Actual PC…..Premiere Elements 7 (Windows XP SP3 Intel 2 Duo 2.4 GHz, 2 GB RAM, PreE7)….from what you wrote, this was the computer that, when you went to create a title in Premiere Elements 7, you got the msvcr80.dll error message. From what I have read, there exist online two reports of a fix for that:

a. if the msvcr80.dll is missing, download and install one to the Premiere Elements Folder in the Program Files/Adobe/Premiere Elements.

b. if the msvcr80.dill is found specifically in the Premiere Elements 7.0 Folder in the computer Program Files/Adobe, then purge the Preferences. Details for that were given previous in this thread.

You have said that you did purge the Premiere Elements Preferences, and it did not work. But I am not clear about the error message after the purge. I know that you got the msvcr80.dll message before. Was that specific error gone after the purge, but replaced with “The exception unknown software exception 0xc000000d occurred in the application at location 0x78138aa0. Click ok to terminate program.”?

I noticed that you have another thread “Application Error and Shutdown” that was active toward the end of March, 2010. Have you gone back to Hunt’s links to make sure that you have not overlooked any of the tips there?  Even though your settings are the same for the actual PC and the virtual PC on the Mac, I am concerned that your results with the virtual PC on the Mac may be directly related to resource issues. I am basing that on what I have read of virtual PC on Mac, namely, disadvantage being more RAM memory utilization and CPU utilization. If you wanted to take the time you could go beyond the Task Manager Performance to the Process Explorer Sysinternals utility (can be obtained online) to evaluate this point.

A few things I would like to do a check on today:

a. Verify the specific issues that you still have with the actual PC, that is, was this the system with the msvcr80.dll error when trying to create a title? If so, did purging the preferences exchange the msvcr80.dll error with a different one? Can you move through the program if you omit titles? Are the titles the only source of problems holding you back on this actual PC?

b. Verify the specific issues that you still have with the virtual PC on the Mac. Is it just a matter of the system shutdowns? And, when do they occur….when creating titles, and/or other? Are there msvcr80 error messages here as well?

c. Make sure the Scratch Disks are directly appropriately.

To be continued…..

ATR

• 21. Re: Importing video into slideshow
                                                  ghighigirl59 Level 1

ATR,

Ok, here's the latest.

My real PC seems to be working ok right now.  I have created a project and I am rendering it right now.  Hopefully tomorrow I will burn the project.  This is just a project of video, no stills, including titles,

Now for the virtual PC.

All scratch files are directed to "same as project".  I am saving the project to my external drive in which there is 400GB free.

I don't know how to tell what format the external drive is.  However, I can tell you that I have used it for the same in the past without a problem.

The msvcr80.dll file is not missing, so I verified that the PreE preferences that I removed previously are still gone.

I created a new project and the first thing I did was try to create a title.  As soon as I finish editing it, I get the following error:  PreE has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience.  At the bottom of that dialog box, you can click "here" to see the error report.  The error report is the same as before "the exception unknown software exception 0xc000000d in the application at location 0x78138aa0.  Click ok to terminate.

I don't seem to be getting the msvcr80.dll error anymore.

• 22. Re: Importing video into slideshow
                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

ghighigirl59

You say that the actual PC seems to be working now, assumed you have overcome problems and have edited and created titles in the project successful there. If that is so, what changes (if any) did you make in the system or application to solve the problems that you were having editing and creating titles?

It sounds like progress. Hope all forthcoming PC news is going to be good.

Some things to think about for the virtual PC…..

a. Have you looked at disabling all the applications (not Microsoft Services) running in the background via RUN, msconfig? Further details for that are given in the Adobe TechNote about troubleshooting errors and freezes in Premiere Elements 7

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404997.html

(See Section 9).

b. Have you updated the video card? And could any of cyberioten problem/fix apply to your situation.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2260529#2260529

Yes, I know it says “transitions” not “titles” but this was a far reaching problem at the time.

The format of the external hard drive is an important piece of information to add to the mix.. What is the brand and model of this external hard drive? But, that information should be in a user manual or online. If you are still unsure, I will try to find out from the brand and model of the external hard drive that you say that you have. It should be easy enough to format a FAT32 external hard drive to a NTFS one. I will dig out the details if need be.

Let us see if any of the above moves us any further into a complete success.

ATR

• 23. Re: Importing video into slideshow
                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                      It should be easy enough to format a FAT32 external hard drive to a NTFS one. I will dig out the details if need be.

The Convert CMD Line call will handle the conversion from FAT-32 to NTSF fine. This ARTICLE will step you through the general process, but one should check Help for their version of Windows, as there could well be some changes.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 24. Re: Importing video into slideshow
                                                        ghighigirl59 Level 1

Well I spoke too soon.  The project I created on my PC didn't end up going so well.  Everything seemed normal during the creation, titles, transitions, etc.  I rendered the entire project at one time (took 5 hours).  I then proceeded to burn the file to a disk, and after about 5 1/2 hours, it had a transcoding error after 86% completion of encoding. I shut down antivirus and the screen saver prior to burning.  I didn't make any changes to the system to get it to work without any errors while creating titles as I had previously.

The file is 16GB and I have it saved to an external drive.  The external drive has 155GB free and the hard drive has 72GB free.  The hard drive is Western Digital, model WD25001032 and is FAT32.  The manual says it doesn't handle files over 4GB, unless you reformat it to NTFS. 

Regarding the external drives and whether they are FAT32 or NTSF, what I don't get is this is the way I've always done it and have been able to burn all projects previously. 

Do you know if I refomat the drive to NTFS, does it affect other files, such as music (wma), pictures (jpeg) or microsoft office files?

I have not tackled any of the questions you have for the virtual PC yet.

• 25. Re: Importing video into slideshow
                                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, if you have been writing >4GB files to a FAT-32 drive, you are the only person able to do that. The >4GB limit is absolute by the definition of FAT-32. This ARTICLE will help you Convert (not Format) your external from FAT-32 to NTSF. This will preserve existing data.

Also, if your external is USB, you may have problems as that connection type is so very slow, and read/write errors are frequent, when editing to/from them.

Also, look closely at your Timeline for gaps, and especially at the approximately 36% point in its Duration.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 26. Re: Importing video into slideshow
                                                            ghighigirl59 Level 1

Hunt,

I don't know how I am going to address the ntsf external drive.  I have a second drive (new) that I haven't set up yet, so I can set it up as ntsf, however I don't have fire wire on that computer, only USB.

However, on another note, if you have been tracking any of my postings, I am still at a loss in where when I open PreE 7, I keep getting an error everytime I try to create a title, I get an error.

PreE has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience.  At the bottom of that dialog box, you can click "here" to see the error report.  The error report is the same as before "the exception unknown software exception 0xc000000d in the application at location 0x78138aa0.  Click ok to terminate.

I have already deleted the application and reinstalled and it still has the same problem.

Do you have any ideas?

• 27. Re: Importing video into slideshow
                                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Could be a couple of things:

Titler issues are almost (thought not always) related to either corrupt of bad fonts. Over time, fonts can become corrupted. Also, some are poorly designed, and just do not work with Adobe programs, especially Titler. This ARTICLE might prove useful.

Memory address errors are often caused by programs that do not report their memory use to the OS properly, or will tell the OS that they have released the addresses, but they have not. This is often caused by programs and Processes, that are not needed, but load at boot up anyway. This ARTICLE will give you some tips on setting up your system for an editing session. Note: if you have Win7, please make sure to read down to the end, and follow the link to Black Viper's site for some OS-specific instructions on that OS.

If you initial external HDD is FAT-32, you can use the Convert utility to change that to NTSF and will not loose data. Read this ARTICLE closely.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 28. Re: Importing video into slideshow
                                                                ghighigirl59 Level 1

Hunt, thanks for the info.  I decided to try to take an easier way out and restore my virtual PC and think I've crashed it.  I have a couple questions for you:

1)  On my real PC, I moved the file from the FAT32 external HD to my HD.  PreE7 couldn't open the file, it stops responding.  The only think I could think of, is that the app doesn't know where to find the file any longer.  Any ideas?

2)  Do you think if I bought a newer computer, I might have better luck, faster processor, more RAM, firewire Ext Drives, newer graphics card, etc?

3)  Does Adobe have drivers for Windows 7?

Thanks.

• 29. Re: Importing video into slideshow
                                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

ghighigirl59

Since you and Hunt were discussing matters, I headed for the background.

I saw your last questions to Hunt and wanted to add these questions/comments:

1. It looks like we are concentrating on the real PC at the moment. From what I see in this thread, the last report was that you had 72 GB free hard drive space for the local C drive. So you are going to be heading for trouble with your "16 GB file" on the local C drive and your Premiere Elements Scratch Disks all directed to that  local C drive 72 GB space. What was the hang up in reformatting that external hard drive FAT32 to NTFS? What additional information do you need to get that job done?

2. Do we know that you real PC and Premiere Elements 7 work with a very basic Timeline? What happens if you put a small MB video file on the Premiere Elements 7.0 Timeline of a new project and try to burn that to DVD-VIDEO? And, the project.prel for this small MB video project, can you save it, close it, and reopen it successfully in Premiere Elements 7. All this is done using the local C drive and taking the external hard drive FAT32 out of the equation.

ATR

Add On....

Somewhere in this thread did you say that you had another external hard drive formatted NTFS? You mentioned a problem related to firewire connection. Are there no USB ports on that external hard drive (NTFS)?

• 30. Re: Importing video into slideshow
                                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree with ATR, that 72GB free space might well be too little.

As for PrE not being able to find Assets, the program makes that part pretty easy. If the Path that the files are linked to in the Project file (PREL), then PrE will ask, "Where is file ______ ?" All one has to do is navigate to the new location, and point PrE to it. The program will then link to all linked Assets in that folder. If you have multiple folders for Assets, you will get the "Where is file _____ ?" again, and when you point the program to that one, all other Assets in that folder will get linked. Repeat, as is necessary.

I have never run a virtual computer, so am not going to be any help there.

When editing to/from externals, one can set the external's drive letter in the OS, to save having to do the "Where is file _____ ?" operation.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 31. Re: Importing video into slideshow
                                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                                      I tried to rebuild this entire slideshow on another computer and got everything done and now the file won't even open.  The computer sits there for 45 minutes and nothing happens.  The file size is 18MB.

I just noticed this part of an earlier post. That 18MB file size looks very wrong. Is that the size of your Project file, the .PREL?

I just looked at a 3 hour Project, and my Project file was 1,845KB. Your file is much, much larger. Are you looking at the .PREL? Is that what you are Opening?

Something just does not add up there, unless I am missing something.

I'll crank up my workstation and take a look at an 8+ hour monster Project, mostly stills (about 2500 of them), with 100's of MOV files, 100's of AVI files 100's of WAV files and maybe 400 Titles. I do not think it's anywhere near as large as what you have listed for your PREL file, but I do need to check, as I have not worked on that Project in about 4 mos., so my memory might be failing me.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 32. Re: Importing video into slideshow
                                                                        ghighigirl59 Level 1

Hunt,  yes something does seem wrong.  This is what I've found.  c:\documents and settings\my name\my documents\my videos

Folder named encoded files - when I hold the cursor over that folder, it gives me the name of my project .prel with 0 bytes

Folder named Adobe Pre Elements Preview files - when I hold the cursor over that folder, it gives me the name of my project .prv with 0 bytes

Folder named media cache fles - when I hold the cursor over that folder, it give me the name of my project .MACC with 0 bytes 

Folder named the name of my project .PRV - when I hold the cursor over that folder, it gives me 16.0 GB,  and they are rendered files

I also have a text document by the name of my project.

Then I have 5 PreE icons, that are named with the name of my project, -1, -2, -3, -4, which are file sizes up to 17.7MB

Hopefully you can make heads or tails of this.  This project is about 1 1/2 hrs long with about 60 video files, with titles and transitions in between the videos.

Any ideas?

• 33. Re: Importing video into slideshow
                                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

ghighigirl59

Lots of details…bottom line, based on what you wrote, get your scratch files off the Local C drive and get them set up correctly, directing them to an external hard drive (format NTFS) with adequate free hard drive space.

What are all those scratch files doing directed to a Local C drive location, especially 16 GB of rendered files?????? Why are they not directed to an external hard drive (format NTFS) with enough free hard drive space to handle the situation?

You say that the ones pin pointed were found:

“c:\documents and settings\my name\my documents\my videos”. How did they get there and not the Adobe Folder (default location) under My Documents? Let us start with the question:

a. In the Premiere Elements 7.0 new project dialog, what have you been listing for the save location?

b. Under Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Discs/, where have you been directing the Scratch Discs, Same As Project or Custom/Other?

c. you mentioned the scratch files showing up in My Videos, but any scratch files showing up in the Adobe Folder?

If there was no planning of project naming and file management, I wonder if there could be additional piles of Scratch files scattered at other computer locations. But, put that thought on hold for now. Today I want to try to address your question about what those folders/files are that you mentioned.

When you open a Premiere Elements 7.0 new project, the following are the associated Folders and Files that will be found in the default location of My Documents/Adobe/. (Locations can be altered in Save In: of new project and/or preferences/scratch disks).

Let us call the new project ghighi and focus on naming and specific files in specific folders.

Adobe Premiere Elements Auto-Save Folder

This folder would contain the Auto-Save Files which could have names such as ghighi-1.prel, ghighi-2.prel, ghighi-3, ghighi-4, ghighi-5….

So, when you say,

“Then I have 5 PreE icons, that are named with the name of my project, -1, -2, -3, -4, which are files sizes up to 17.7 MB”

that sounds to me like Auto-Save Files outside of their Adobe Premiere Elements Auto-Save Folder.  Size seems large.

Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder

This folder would contain the ghighi.PRV Folder.

And the ghighi.PRV Folder would contain the Rendered Files.

Here is where your description gets complicated. You say

“Folder named Adobe Pre Elements Preview files – when I hold the cursor over the folder, it gives me the name of my project.prv with 0 bytes.” But yet you say,

“Folder named the name of my project PRV – when I hold the cursor over that folder, it gives me 16.0 GB, and they are rendered files.” I sounds like the ghighi.PRV Folder got out of the Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder and that the two are existing as 2 separate folders rather than the ghighi.PRV inside the Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder. Confusion about the above and the file size at that location needs to be cleared up, but major point = 16 GB scratch files should not be on the Local C drive.

Encoded Files Folder

This folder would contain a ghighi.prel Folder.

And this ghighi.prel Folder would contain encoded files.

Nothing much to be said here.

You wrote

“Folder named encoded files – when I hold the cursor over that folder, it gives me the name of my project.prel with 0 bytes.”

These would appear to represent the location of encoded files, and 0 bytes would seem consistent with you not yet having done any encoding for this project.

Media Cache Folder

This folder would contain a ghighi.MACC Folder.

And this ghighi.MACC Folder would contain numerous conformed audio files (sets of cfa and pek files). These files pile up quickly and can represent a huge folder on your hard drive if left there.

You wrote:

“Folder named media cache files – when I hold the cursor over that folder, it gives me the name of my project.MACC with 0 bytes.”

I found that curious since the Media Cache Folder is typically huge in contents unless you clear it out periodically. This could suggest that the actual conformed audio files went to another save location somewhere on the Local C drive???

ghighi.log file

session.log

Not sure if you were referring to the ghighi.log file or the session.log when you wrote

“I also have a text document by the name of my project.”

ghighi.prel file

These project.prel files are typically in the KB size.

Please let me know if any of this helps you and Hunt in your present line of troubleshooting.

ATR

• 34. Re: Importing video into slideshow
                                                                            ghighigirl59 Level 1

ATR,

I'm not going to get into much detail, but I want to respond to some of your questions, and I have a couple questions in which you can lead me in the right direction.  I think I want to rebuild this project and try it one more time.

If I create a new project on my external drive, wouldn't I just save it at x://myvideos/projectname? and direct the scratch files to go to the same location?

As far as how this file ended up where it did, I copied it off my external drive onto my hard drive thinking that I might have better luck, but I didn't.  The .macc file had 0 bytes because I didn't have any music in this project.  I've noticed that my previous projects were saved in the Adobe folders, but not all.

If I choose to save on my hard drive, what should the naming convention be, since you can direct the files anywhere?

Look forward to hearing back from you so I can start this all over again.  Just to confirm, there is nothing I need to do to make my video files smaller, right?

Thanks.

• 35. Re: Importing video into slideshow
                                                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

ghighigirl59

I would suggest the following to

a. utilitize your computer resources better

b. provide a folder for the each project.prel and its associated files and folders (among other things will be of big help so that you do not have to go looking all over the place when and if you need to delete and project. prel and its associated files and folders)

Preferred

1. External Hard Drive formatted NTFS, not FAT32, 500 GB capacity or more depending upon the need. Create a new Folder there and name it (maybe ghighigirl59 Summer Project).

2. Open Premiere Elements and, in the new project dialog Save In location, browse to and designate the "ghighigirl59 Summer Project" Folder that you created on the external hard drive. When you get into the Premiere Elements workspace that opens, go to the Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Files and set ALL of the categories to Same As Project.

3. That should put all for this specific project (the project.prel and its associated files and folders) in your "ghighigirl59 Summer Project" Folder on the external hard drive.

Note: the Media Cache Folder typically contains cfa and pek files from DVD Templates and such as well as from any audio from your Timeline content. The vast majority is from its automatic conforming of those DVD Templates and such.

If you must, but may create serious resource issues with a long and complex Timeline...no external hard drive involved....

1. Use the Adobe default location for the Adobe Folder (My Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements. In the Premiere Elements Folder create a new folder there and name it (maybe ghighigirl59 Summer Project).

2. Open Premiere Elements and, in the new project dialog Save In location, browse to and designate the "ghighigirl59 Summer Project" Folder that you created on the Local C drive using the route My Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/. When you get into the Premiere Elements workspace that opens, go to the Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Files and set ALL of the categories to Same As Project.

Note: Again, I believe that this approach will create resource issues for your large project.

As for your question about downsizing the video that you have on the Timeline.....

Just to play safe, at this moment please confirm the source, format, and duration of the video (AVCHD, HDV, SD) on your Timeline that you are trying to export. It is my current understanding that you are trying to export your Timeline to either DVD-VIDEO Standard or Widescreen. What did you set as the project preset (new project dialog) for your problematic project?

Example: If your source media is AVCHD Full 1920 x 1080 16:9 from an AVCHD camcorder and you are having resource issues and the like, then you could convert the AVCHD Full 1920 x 1080 to MPEG2 1920 x 1080 16:9 or MPEG2 1280 x 720 16:9 or even DV AVI 720 x 480 with a program such as Koyote Soft HD Converter (now at version 7 and reportedly working). Then you would bring the converted video to the Premiere Elements Timeline.

a. if you are talking about file size of the video before importing it into Premiere Elements...file size can be reduced by lowering the bitrate, decreasing the frame size, changing the compression, etc. But, I would need to know the source, format, and duration of what you are using before venturing into those thoughts further.

Keep your source media and video storage off the Local C drive in a place where there is lots of free hard drive space. At this point, I am not sure if we have gone full circle. Please review everything and keep in mind the size and scope of your project as related to your current computer resources.

ATR

• 36. Re: Importing video into slideshow
                                                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

In regards to editing to/from external HDD's, I do that most of the time, as I migrate the Projects between my laptop and my workstation. Here is my workflow:

1.) I use only FW-800 (IEEE-1394b) externals. I found that USB externals were very slow, and that the connection speed caused issues with regards to reads/writes, even encountering the dreaded Delayed Write Failure. Often, data was lost completely. I never use USB externals. I tried FW-400's (IEEE-1394a - but the "a" is usually not included), but found them too slow to edit to/from, but maybe I am just impatient. I do not use my gigabit NAS, and again, it has to do with the slow speed. An eSATA connection and external would be even better. USB 3, when common, would probably be excellent too.

2.) When I place a FW-800 external into service, after either formatting it to NTSF, or checking that it already is NTSF, is to assign a unique drive letter to it, and in the OS of each computer. As an example, the first FW-800 external was named Z:\, the next Y:\, etc.

3.) I set up my Projects on the external, each in a unique folder. This folder Z:\[Project Name]\ becomes my root folder. Beneath it, I add folders, Videos, Stills, Audio, Music, SFX, etc.. For existing Assets, I Copy them to the appropriate folder, so I leave the originals on either my NAS, or on another HDD for safety. Back in my NLE (Non Linear Editor), I set my Scratch Disks to the appropriate Project folder. Everything is now contained, and can be moved from computer to computer.

Hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 37. Re: Importing video into slideshow
                                                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

Thanks for offering ghighigirl59 your experiences with regard to editing to/from external hard drive. But I worry that your last comment about Everything Contained and Moving from Computer to Computer might tempt ghighigirl59 to jump from computer to computer in troubleshooting and diffuse her troubleshooting. As mentioned, I am all for Everything Contained here, but moving from computer to computer should be put on the "back burner" for now.

I would stress, external hard drive YES, special attention to computer resources, but troubleshoot systematically one computer at a time with Premiere Elements 7.0 installed along with latest version of Quicktime and anything else that Adobe considers a System Requirement.

I would encourage ghighigirl59 to write down all the procedural and systematic troubleshooting details for this "start all over" project to expedite matters and to avoid any of us losing track of the origin of files and other project related key details.

What do you think?

ATR

• 38. Re: Importing video into slideshow
                                                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

My reply was specific to the comment on using externals, and reflected my workflow for doing so, based on my needs.

I do not wish to interfere in the troubleshooting, and was only making very specific comments on one point raised. I agree that troubleshooting should be systematic and in a step-by-step flow.

Hope that there was no confusion.

Hunt

• 39. Re: Importing video into slideshow
                                                                                      ghighigirl59 Level 1

ATR, I have a 1 TB external drive that is brand new, however, it is USB.  Do you think that may create a problem?

My camcorder is a Sony DCR-SR7, AC3 codec, MPEG 2, NTSV-DV Std 48kHZ.

I don't know whether it is AVCHD, HDV or SD.  I can't find it in my book.

Any more advice?

1 2 Previous Next