10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2010 3:20 PM by the_wine_snob

Problems adding music

Freebs120

Im pretty new to using Premiere to edit, I have Premiere Pro CS4. My problem is, when i add background music into my project, it gets rid of the audio from the video clips already in the project. How do i stop that from happening?

• 1. Re: Problems adding music
          kishoreda-RrOFau Level 1

Just drag and drop the new background music into a empty audio track , simple as that

And if you wanna delete the 1st audio track, right click on the video track and select "Unlink" then select the 1st audio track and hit delete.

• 2. Re: Problems adding music
            the_wine_snob Level 9

As has been mentioned, just Target the new destination Audio Track and drag the Asset to that. If you are having any issues, just Lock the AV's Audio Track.

Note: PrPro will NOT allow one to place Audio Assets onto an Audio Track, that does not match the file's channel-number, i.e. a mono (1-channel) Asset will ONLY go to a mono Audio Track. If you do not have such an Audio Track, drag to the Master, and PrPro will kindly create the proper Audio Track for your Asset.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Problems adding music
              Freebs120 Level 1

I'm really new to editing, and really new to Premiere, so to be compeletely honest I'm not really sure what your saying. I have the audio track, I have my clips in the video 1 slot. I put the audio track into the audio 1 slot, and the audio from the clips in video 1 is no longer there. Im a little confused about what you told me to do.

• 4. Re: Problems adding music
                the_wine_snob Level 9

If you are not seeing Audio Track 1, it will possibly need to be scrolled.

In the Track Header, that little block with some icons and the Track Name (which can be changed, BTW), you Lock a Track, click there to Target a Track, and also see the channel-count of that Track. There are little "speaker" icons, and will designate mono/1-channel (one speaker), or stereo/2-channel (two speakers) or 5.1 (5.1 in place of speakers).

Hope that helps,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Problems adding music
                  Mortimer IOU Level 2

What freebs120 said: "I put the audio track into the audio 1 slot, and the audio from the clips in video 1 is no longer there"

If you insert a new audio clip onto Audio 1, where the audio from the video clip already resides, the new clip will replace it.

Did you instead try inserting the new audio clip onto the audio 2 track?

• 6. Re: Problems adding music
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Though done for PrPro 2.0, this will give you a good idea of the Audio Tracks, and their Headers. Note the empty Track, that was added to the bottom of the stack, just above the Master Track.

Audio_Track_Headers_01.jpg

Hope that this helps, and good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Problems adding music
                      Freebs120 Level 1

I finally figured it out, I just had forgotten to scroll down, and for some reason the default audio for my clip is defaulted at Audio 5, and the song will only go into audio 6, so 1-4 are useless

• 8. Re: Problems adding music
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

The likely reason that it went to Video 5 was that it was a channel count, that was not represented in your existing Audio Tracks. PrPro will create one with the specs. that you need, if one does not exist.

An example of this would be a default Sequence with 4 2-channel Audio Tracks. If you drag a mono (1-channel) Clip to the Timeline, it has no where to go, and if you drag down to around the Master, PrPro will create Audio Track 5 for you, with the proper channel count.

To tell what the channel count for a particular Track is, look at the "speaker" icon in the Track Header.

Good luck, and glad that things are working for you.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Problems adding music
                          Freebs120 Level 1

Thank you a ton, you really helped me a lot and saved me a lot of time .Thanks again

• 10. Re: Problems adding music
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

You are most welcome. That is what we try to do around here.

Good luck,

Hunt