6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2010 8:02 PM by JimHess-nRS3O3

Uninstalling ACR 5.7?

Mlaxy142

I've installed ACR 5.7 beta on Windows 7 x64 running Photoshop CS4 x64 with no problems.  I'll continue to test it but noticed there doesn't seem to be an uninstall option.  I'm not comfortable running beta software and will want to uninstall eventually.  Is there an uninstall option for ACR 5.7 beta?

• 1. Re: Uninstalling ACR 5.7?
          JimHess-nRS3O3

It's just a plug-in, there are no registry entries for it.  Just go to the appropriate folder and delete the plug-in and replace it with whatever you are comfortable with. A release candidate is more ready than a beta.  If it is working, what are you afraid of?

• 2. Re: Uninstalling ACR 5.7?
            Level 4

I don't know about Windows, Mr. Hess, but in the Mac world the ACR installer did affect another folder and at least one other file in earlier versions.  There is a thread somewhere in this forum that points to such problems.  I'll try to find it.

• 3. Re: Uninstalling ACR 5.7?
              Level 4

The path to the other affected folder and file on a Mac is as follows:

HD/ root Library/ Application Support/ Adobe/ Camera Raw 5/ InstallerData/ CustomHooks.dylib

If another installer (older or newer) does not find exactly what if needs in that CustomHooks.dylib file the installation fails.

Deleting the CustomHooks.dylib file does not help either as a new one is not generated and the installer still looks for it.

• 4. Re: Uninstalling ACR 5.7?
                Mlaxy142 Level 1

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the response.  I'm not worried about anything going wrong per se, but the popup message when you run 5.7 for the first time states that it will start 'nagging' after the end of May (?), which I'd like to avoid.  If the 5.7 RC cannot be uninstalled, to do this  I'll need to either upgrade to CS5 when it comes out or manually revert back to 5.6.  I would've thought that an uninstall routine for a piece of software that by definition is still being tested in not an unreasonable expectation.

• 5. Re: Uninstalling ACR 5.7?
                  JimHess-nRS3O3 Level 1

Tai Lao wrote:

I don't know about Windows, Mr. Hess, but in the Mac world the ACR installer did affect another folder and at least one other file in earlier versions.  There is a thread somewhere in this forum that points to such problems.  I'll try to find it.

You're right, I probably did speak a little out of school.  I'm still using Windows XP.  And under that OS, what I explained to do is literally all that is required.  Go in and delete the plug-in file that is there, and replace it with whatever version you want.  But I don't have any experience with Windows 7, and I was just assuming the process remained the same.

• 6. Re: Uninstalling ACR 5.7?
                    JimHess-nRS3O3 Level 1

Mlaxy142 wrote:

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the response.  I'm not worried about anything going wrong per se, but the popup message when you run 5.7 for the first time states that it will start 'nagging' after the end of May (?), which I'd like to avoid.  If the 5.7 RC cannot be uninstalled, to do this  I'll need to either upgrade to CS5 when it comes out or manually revert back to 5.6.  I would've thought that an uninstall routine for a piece of software that by definition is still being tested in not an unreasonable expectation.

If they have put an end date on the release candidate of ACR 5.7, then you can be confident that they will either have another release candidate or the final version available by that time.