8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2010 3:54 AM by thamerc

Converting AI MAC to PC, layers gone!!! Help!

thamerc Level 1

Hello all:

I am working on MAC with AI CS4, and my developers are working on PC with CS3. I have sent a complete Web Page layout with numerous elements on separate layers: Guides, different graphic elements, an overlay for CSS positioning, etc.

However, when my devs open the doc:

1. ALL layers have been combined into one huge layer, with sub-layers instead.
      2. All layer titles have been lost, now it only shows <group>

I even tried down-saving to CS3 for them... no joy...

See attached:

This is how my Mac sees it, and how I designed it....

Layers_Mac.jpg

This is how my Devs see it, on their PCs:

Layers_PC.jpg

WTF!! Is this really how it is between MAC and PC?

Is Adobe really this short sighted?

Is there any way for me to save the docs so the layers are preserved?

Are my devs doing something wrong?

Otherwise, months of design work down the drain...

All the best......

• 1. Re: Converting AI MAC to PC, layers gone!!! Help!
          Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

I do not think it is months of work lost though it is  very distressing to have to some how get the names back and doing it manually on the developers side might breed error.

And it definitely should not work this way.

But I ill make some suggestions that might work.

1. Save it as a pdf with creating Acrobat layers from top AI layers,have the developer open that in AI CS 3

2. Save as an Illustrator eps and see if that works

I agre with you there should be no reason for this to happen.

• 2. Re: Converting AI MAC to PC, layers gone!!! Help!
            Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Do the developers have Paste Remembers Layers enabled from the Layer panel flyout?

• 3. Re: Converting AI MAC to PC, layers gone!!! Help!
              thamerc Level 1

Thanks guys.

First: Saving back and forth to different formats is not a plausible solution. The guides are very important, as is colour fidelityand being able to have numerous linked graphics available.

Secondly, I am in Spain and my devs are in India. The notion of talking them through renaming and reorganising 7 different documents (7 different page layouts) via skype or IMing just ain't gonna happen.

So, that leaves Paste Remembers Layers. Reading up on this option, I don't see how this is gonna help. I'm not copying layer items from one doc to another. All these guys are trying to do is open the darn thing and have the layers in place, in the right stack order, and with correct titles.

Even so, I'll try it. So do I activate it and then save the doc? And they also activate it on their end?

This really is absurd, actually. I've sent tons of AI files and never lost the layers before.

Hello? Adobe moderator? How about some help here....

Can somebody with Mac and PC try to replicate what's happened and tell me why?

Thanks

PS: These guys are not up to speed on AI... could they have somehow played around with the layers or done something they shouldn't have done, and screwed it up so badly they are now coming back to me for help? And they're too embarassed to admit that they messed up? I've just tried to achieve the same result they have by collecting and flattening... but layer titles and objects within each layer remain intact.

• 4. Re: Converting AI MAC to PC, layers gone!!! Help!
                Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Why not tell us everything up front rather than tell us what won't work and why after the fact.

But this could be a language problem for instance you might have one version of english and they have another or they downloaded to machine with an entirly different language opened it and the sae it and then open it on a machine with english.

You sort of have to tell us what they might be doing rather than us guessing.

No one from Adobe is going to chime in unless there is a serious performance problem involved.

To check out the possibility of you developer screwing things up ask the to send the copy of the file they have opened in CS 3 to you and open that if you get the same results as they do then I would say it is them. What they are doing is entirely up to them to tell you.

We would need more information as would Adobe.

• 5. Re: Converting AI MAC to PC, layers gone!!! Help!
                  Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Is Paste Remembers Layers enabled on your machine? If not when you save the file it will be automatically flattened to a single layer. How are the files being transfered? Do you .zip the files before transferring?

• 6. Re: Converting AI MAC to PC, layers gone!!! Help!
                    Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Paste Remembers layer is not the right answer. It will not flatten the image into one layer.

If the guides are a problem you can make the guides art on a separate layer. Then save as a pdf or eps.

• 7. Re: Converting AI MAC to PC, layers gone!!! Help!
                      thamerc Level 1

Wade_Zimmerman wrote:

Why not tell us everything up front rather than tell us what won't work and why after the fact.

No one from Adobe is going to chime in unless there is a serious performance problem involved.

We would need more information as would Adobe.

Hey Wade:

With all due respect, you will see that there was 11 hours difference between my first and second post, during which time I was trying out new things, suggested by you in fact.

So everything I knew at the time was in the first post, and then everything I learned and tried was in the second post. So what I know, you know — as and when new information comes my way.

Again, with respect, saving to a format where functionality is lost just isn't a feasible solution....having my devs able to access the original document as I designed it, is the solution I need to sort out.

You sort of have to tell us what they might be doing rather than us guessing.

If I knew what what they were doing, I would tell you. I respect that your time has value also, so I'm not here to spin your wheels.

Back to basics: I sent them a doc with layers intact. When they opened it, they got what you see in my first post. Something's wrong. What is it?

Steve

• 8. Re: Converting AI MAC to PC, layers gone!!! Help!
                        thamerc Level 1

Larry G. Schneider wrote:

Is Paste Remembers Layers enabled on your machine? If not when you save the file it will be automatically flattened to a single layer. How are the files being transfered? Do you .zip the files before transferring?

Thanks Larry...

Yes to .zip. Always. Files transferred via FTP on an intermediary freelancer website.

I have checked my documents, and Paste Remembers Layers is enabled.

Since my last substantive post (yesterday) some new information:

I  have experimented with "Flatten Artwork" & "Merge Selected" and this does approximate what  my developers are getting, although in my experiment the layer titles have remained  intact. If my devs somehow flattened or merged the layers by mistake, this could be the most obvious cause of the problem.

Thanks man, great tip! I will ask my devs to make sure that P-R-L is also enabled when they open the docs on their machines.

We'll try it on Monday when my devs are back at work. Fingers crossed that the solution is this easy. If not, I'll let you know.

Steve