5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2010 7:44 AM by Jeff Bellune

Canon 7D 720/60p converted to 720/24p in Premiere Pro CS4

quazis Level 1

I've exhausted all my resources trying to find a simple answer but it seems like anything regarding 60p to 24p is about slow motion video which I already know how to do and understand thoroughly.

My question is, with my Canon 7D, there's no option for 720/24p (23.976), there's only 720/60p (29.97) or 50p.  Getting 30p video is simple because Premiere just drops every other frame.  Now 24p is a little trickier.  There is an option for 1080/24p which is overkill for what I want and need to do.  I also don't have the capacity in memory cards for that.

I understand that if I drop a 60p video on a 24p timeline, Premiere will just drop frames.  But since 60 is not divisible by 24.. how does Premiere know which frames to drop?  I believe there's also a Frame Blending option as well.. how would that work? 

I'm looking for the best way to convert 60p video to 24p in Premiere.  I can't imagine it being overly complicated.

• 1. Re: Canon 7D 720/60p converted to 720/24p in Premiere Pro CS4
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Why do you want to convert 60p to 24p?  60p is excellent for capturing

sports and other high-motion footage, or when you expect a lot of camera

panning.  If a 24p film look is what you want, then shoot in 24p.

As for file sizes, 1080p24 will produce smaller file sizes than 720p60.

-Jeff

• 2. Re: Canon 7D 720/60p converted to 720/24p in Premiere Pro CS4
            quazis Level 1

Thanks for the reply but I'm not sure who told you that 1080p24 produces smaller file sizes than 720p60.

Canon 7D has a max recording limit of 4gb (per file) due to FAT32 file system restrictions.  At 1080p,  4gb = 12minutes.  On a 16gb card, that's only 48minutes.  At 720p, 4gb = 30minutes.  That's 2 hours.

The reason I want to shoot 60p for one, I don't need 1080p, it's over kill.  Even if I shoot 1080p24, I'll have to downscale it to 720p because the only reason I'd shoot 60fps is to get slow motion, which I need for shooting music videos.  It's much easier for me and I can have a lot more footage without buying more cards shooting 720p60. 

So the question remains.. 60p to 24p? 

• 3. Re: Canon 7D 720/60p converted to 720/24p in Premiere Pro CS4

quazis wrote:

Thanks for the reply but I'm not sure who told you that 1080p24 produces smaller file sizes than 720p60.

Canon 7D has a max recording limit of 4gb (per file) due to FAT32 file system restrictions.  At 1080p,  4gb = 12minutes.  On a 16gb card, that's only 48minutes.  At 720p, 4gb = 30minutes.  That's 2 hours.

Then it's Canon's encoding scheme or sensor use that makes such a huge difference.  My AVCHD files from a Panasonic HMC150 are smaller at 1080p24 than at 720p60.  Which makes sense since the raw pixel count per second is less with 1080p24 (49,766,400 at 1080p24 versus 55,296,00 for 720p60).

I have a tutorial on my web site about using dv2film, which is designed to convert 60i DV to 24p DV.  But it also works for HD footage.  Check it out and let me know what you think.

BDVS Tutorials

-Jeff

• 4. Re: Canon 7D 720/60p converted to 720/24p in Premiere Pro CS4
                quazis Level 1

Hey Jeff,

I appreciate your help but I don't think that tutorial is any help to me as I don't have a 60i file.  I skimmed through it all and I don't need to use any of those programs.  I think that is just making something really simple in my case, overly complicated.

To further elaborate on my question, I could be asking what method would be best to convert 60p to 24p; frame dropping or frame blending.

According to some calculations.. I need to drop 36 frames out of the 60 to get 24.  If we divide all those by 12, that means I need to drop 3 out of every 5 frames to keep two.  So I'm assuming that Premiere would do something like:

X_ X _ _ X _ X _ _ X _ X _ _  etc

X = kept frames

_ = dropped frames.

I think that would leave some undesired effects since two frames go missing.. hmm.. I hope someone else can chime in on this.  I have no idea how frame blending would work though.

• 5. Re: Canon 7D 720/60p converted to 720/24p in Premiere Pro CS4

There are parameters you can add to the dv2film command to make 60p work, but you don't seem interested in pursuing all of the open-source stuff.  I can understand that - it's not user-friendly at all.

Try exporting a short segment of your toughest scenes without using Frame Blending, and again with Frame Blendiing selected.  Export it to your intended delivery format and judge which you like best.  The answer won't necessarily always be the same.

-Jeff