7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2010 12:31 PM by the_wine_snob

Out of sync issues when applying transitions...

Xoomtell Level 1

Hi

I have this issue from time to time - when I apply a simple transition between two clips the the last clip gets sync-issues where audio and video does not sync when exported. I have tried importing the files once more and placed them once again in the timeline - adjusting them and trying to do things in a lot of different ways, but no luck. The only thing that works is to delete the transition - then clip 2 will not have any sync issues. Sometimes there might also be some kind of flickering at the same time as the transition plays. Like clip 2 getting repeating some frames or missing some frames. But the source files are OK and if I export the file it self without transition it plays smooth and with no lost frames.

It is quite strange because this only happens sometimes, if I watch the original source file there is no sync-issues. If I export all or part of the clip there is no sync issues - it is only if I apply a transition like wipe, cross dissolve etc. that the issue appears.

My system:

i920

12 GB RAM

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

PPro CS4

Clips are in 720 50P AVCHD

When exporting I use H.264 with the mainconcept encoder.

I export to MP4 in 1280x720.

Please help....

Morten

• 1. Re: Out of sync issues when applying transitions...
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Never heard of that. It must be unique to your situation.

• 2. Re: Out of sync issues when applying transitions...
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Morten,

Just to make sure that things are fine with the Clips, do you have adequate Handles on them? Are you getting any Video, or Audio elements, right at the Transitions, that you do not intend?

Other than the user trying to compensate for that, I cannot think of any reason for the OOS issues.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Out of sync issues when applying transitions...
              Xoomtell Level 1

Yes handels etc. are allright - there are plenty of video and audio before and after the clips (the actual clip starts from 00:02:18:32 and stops long before the end of the source file).

I have tried several times to adjust the clip - delete it - import again - adjust to clips before and after - trying different types of transitions etc. No luck.

If I export the clip it self there is no issues - it plays back like a charm.

After trying to export with different settings I guess the issues relates to these settings - the strange thing is that I can export 25 minutes of video with several clips and lots of transitions - sourcefiles are AVCHD in 720 50P - exporting to 1280x720 50 P - and everything looks fine except for maybe one tranisition - so that is why I can´t figure why it relates to the export-settings. But if I try to fx. export in 25P instead there is not that issue.

I gues I might be exporting in another format with less high settings to get things work OK - hopefully this will be better in CS5?

• 4. Re: Out of sync issues when applying transitions...
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                Yes handels etc. are allright - there are plenty of video and audio before and after the clips (the actual clip starts from 00:02:18:32 and stops long before the end of the source file).

Just wanted to rule that possibility out early on. Thanks for reporting.

Now, is the OOS dynamic, or static?

Static is much easier to "fix," but I'd still love to know the "why." This ARTICLE might be useful for "fixing" the issue, but don't give up on what is causing this odd behavior. I just do not recall reading of it (and never experienced it) before, but do not work with AVCHD material.

BTW - is your AVCHD DD 5.1 SS Audio?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Out of sync issues when applying transitions...
                  Xoomtell Level 1

Hi Bill

No - the OOS is dynamic i think - if you mean that it is only within same clip everytime?

the odd thing is in playing back while editting it plays back with no sync-issues.

No the recordings are only stereo. I use Panasonics AG-HMC151.

So the source file is OK...

While writing this I have tried to export it with 25 P instead of 50 and it seems to make the issue dissapear....but why? I have recorded everything in 50 P - and the excact sourcefile is used elsewhere in same movie without any issues - I use two clips from same sourcefiles - the one in the start does have sync issues the one later has not...ANd I want it to playback in 50 P - I think it looks a better and the pictures/movements shows more clear....

Strange....any clues?

• 6. Re: Out of sync issues when applying transitions...
                    Xoomtell Level 1

Hi again

I actually think my problems is very much similar to this one:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2598909#2598909

Could it be related to H.264 and mainconecpt not doing things right?

When I try export the excact same project using Windows Media HDTV 720 - jsut setting the FPS to 50 instead of 25 it comes out nice. Looks a bit more blured to me, but might just adjust some parameters to get it right?

So i guess this issues with some periodic and ad hoc sync-issues is related to the H.264 mainconcept codec? Is there any other and better codecs for H.264 and how do one get them installed to use them inside PPro CS4?

• 7. Re: Out of sync issues when applying transitions...
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, with QT Export, there have been OOS issues. I misunderstood, and thought you were encountering this on the Timeline, prior to any Export.

Many users have had issues with the Apple QT H.264 CODEC, but most have had better luck with the Lead, or MainConcept H.264.

I do agree with Harm's comment in that linked thread - Apple seems to delight in causing issues on the PC, especially with Adobe programs. Maybe they are not selling enough copies of FCP?

Good luck,

Hunt