14 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2010 3:23 AM by readysteady101

Import fireworks cs3 slideshow into Dreamweaver 8

readysteady101

Hello, Im trying to get a slideshow created in Fireworks cs3 to work in Dreamweaver 8. I cant seem to get the html file it generates to slot into a Dreamweaver page. When I double click on the slideshow html file in Dreamweaver it opens a page that looks as though nothing is on it, just a lot of shading and a missing image, but tappin F12 to view in browser shows the slideshow works, but how do I get it into a page in Dreamweaver? Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Import fireworks cs3 slideshow into Dreamweaver 8
          pziecina Level 6

Hi

Select code view in dreamweaver to see the generated code, then cut/paste as required to insert the code and scripts into your page.

PZ

www.pziecina.com

• 2. Re: Import fireworks cs3 slideshow into Dreamweaver 8
            readysteady101 Level 1

Thanks for the reply, but Im not that proficient with code. Do I paste the code from the html page, and if so..all of it? And as for the scripts, I have no idea what to do with them. Thanks again Pziecina.

EDIT: More questions. If Im using a header and navigation bar, do I need to create a new row in my table and insert the code there?

As you can see, Im really noobish at this and dont really know how to use your instructions.

• 3. Re: Import fireworks cs3 slideshow into Dreamweaver 8
              pziecina Level 6

Hi

Open the page from fireworks in dreamweaver, select code view, highlight (select) all the code between the <body> and </body> tags and select copy from the edit menu.

Insert the cursor into the position you require your slideshow to appear in your html document, (code view selected) and select paste from the edit menu.

Return to the page created in fireworks and in the code between the <head> and </head> tags locate all the code that begins with <script> and ends with </script> and copy from the fireworks document and past into your html document.

Important: Your fireworks document must be in the same position in your file structure as your html document, otherwise the file links will be incorrect and you will have to change these to reflect the actual position of and files.

PZ

• 4. Re: Import fireworks cs3 slideshow into Dreamweaver 8
                pziecina Level 6

Hi

EDIT: More questions. If Im using a header and navigation bar, do I need to create a new row in my table and insert the code there?

If you are using tables generated by fireworks, (or any other program) then this is probably only the start of your problems. It may take more time but I would seriously recommend converting your fireworks file to a html/css layout, see -

1. http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/table_to_css_pt1.html
                2. http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/table_to_css_pt2.html

These tutorials are for cs3 but can be used in DW8

PZ

• 5. Re: Import fireworks cs3 slideshow into Dreamweaver 8
                  readysteady101 Level 1

Thanks again, Im using tables made in Dreamweaver, but just cant get the slideshow to work in my site, I can get it to work in a page of its own by pointing a link to the html file, but thats it. when you said earlier to return to fireworks document and copy/paste script from head tags, where do I paste it, in the head tag of the document?

As things stand that didnt work. Thanks for the links, but I know nothing abuot CSS, and am gettin nowhere fast

I could only wish Adobe could make this a bit easier.

• 6. Re: Import fireworks cs3 slideshow into Dreamweaver 8
                    pziecina Level 6

Hi

where do I paste it, in the head tag of the document?

Yes.

If it works in the firefox document and the correct code is inserted in yours then it is probably a file reference problem. Did you create the fireworks file in the same position as the page you wish to insert the code into. If not this would explain the problem as a slideshows image files are relative to the page it was created on and cannot be used without modification.

Can you post links to the live pages, (even if not working) so we can compare the file positions in the one from fireworks and yours?

PZ

• 7. Re: Import fireworks cs3 slideshow into Dreamweaver 8
                      readysteady101 Level 1

Hello again, and yes, I put the firewoks html file in the same folder as the page Im trying to insert the slideshow in, I created a new folder in the root folder to hold these files and the script folders created by fireworks. I cant do any of this in the root folder as there is already an "index.htm" file there. (Had to use htm, as opposed to html as Im using a navigation bar also generated in Fireworks, and had to export files in htm).  I cant post live links, as this is a school project and hosted on a closed network. Im just testing this out without actually uploading, cant do that til monday, so, Im just experimenting and using F12 to view in a browser. Assignment must be completed and uploaded on Tuesday. The slideshow is not a required element, but I was just trying to put in the extra effort, I didnt know when I started that this is not a straightforward process.

EDIT: Just realised, if I dont use the root folder, then the navigation bar doesnt work, am I right in thinking the code wont allow it to work from a subfolder?

Thanks again.

• 8. Re: Import fireworks cs3 slideshow into Dreamweaver 8
                        pziecina Level 6

Hi

am I right in thinking the code wont allow it to work from a sub folder?

If anything was created in the root folder then anything else must be in that same folder and cannot be moved to a sub-folder.

PZ

• 9. Re: Import fireworks cs3 slideshow into Dreamweaver 8
                          readysteady101 Level 1

Hello again, I retried and pasted everything between the head tags in the fireworks file into the head tags of the target page, and that worked, but my navigation bar..or rather, the whole row its contained in, is missing, but having said that, I think Im moving in the right direction.

Thanks again

• 10. Re: Import fireworks cs3 slideshow into Dreamweaver 8
                            pziecina Level 6

Hi

If it work when pasting the code, but the navigation bar disappears then compare the linking to script or css files in your code as this is probably what is causing the problem.

PZ

• 11. Re: Import fireworks cs3 slideshow into Dreamweaver 8
                              readysteady101 Level 1

Hello again. This is just getting more confusing. I can only have one index page in the root folder, so how can I put the fireworks index into the same folder, and if I dont, then nothing works. The small success I have just posted was from a sub folder, but I can make a link to the "host page" but only have a header and slideshow, no navigation bar to exit. That just looks terrible, cant help wondering why, if its possible to create slideshows for Dreamweaver in Fireworks, why is it so hard

• 12. Re: Import fireworks cs3 slideshow into Dreamweaver 8
                                pziecina Level 6

Hi

You can name your page anything you like for now, then once it is working delete the fireworks created index page and rename your to index.

PZ

• 13. Re: Import fireworks cs3 slideshow into Dreamweaver 8
                                  readysteady101 Level 1

Hello again, and yes, I was thinking along the same lines, but I also have an images folder in the root folder, and fireworks also generated one, so I would need to rename the existing images and relink all my files to suit. Yes, with hindsight I could in future name my site images folder something else, and Im thinking if I rename the fireworks generated images folder, then the slideshow wont work. For the moment Im gonna say thanks for trying Pziecina, but this is just too much extra work, far too annoying and so very confusing, I thought when our course work moved from HTML code to GUI programmes things would be simplified, but that is not the case.

Thanks again, and have a great weekend.

• 14. Re: Import fireworks cs3 slideshow into Dreamweaver 8
                                    readysteady101 Level 1

Hello again Pziecina, just wanted to say a very quick thank you. I think I can get the slideshow to work if I remake parts of my site, but I have 5 assignments on the go and thats not really feasible right now, but what really interested me was the links you posted yesterday regarding CSS. As mentioned I have 5 live assignments and have been spending my mornings/afternoons/evenings whittling them down, and when I posted here yesterday I was a little worn out, and my focus was not what it could, or should be. But late last night I took an hours break and had a proper look at the CSS tutorials you posted, and would like to say a very big THANKYOU, although its a bit off topic, I was a little apprehensive of CSS, but one hour into the first tutorial and Im hooked, thats not to say Im anywhere near proficient, but really enjoyed myself following the tutorial, (even though it was at the expense of assignment time ), so, very glad I came here with my slideshow problem, and thanks again