• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Merged Project - Folders missing for some users

Apr 09, 2010 Apr 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am using RoboHelp HTML RH8 and have approx 50 projects merged together. The site is published to a intranet for a large group of users. I have three folders in the site that only two groups of users can see using the URL. If they look at the physical folder location and display the site they can see all of the merged projects in the site.

For one project, I renamed the child project, re-merged, and republished the parent and child, and now all users can see the project. (I had to remove the project from version control to rename, and would not like to do that again).

I have worked with my IT department, and they are saying the problem is RH. Has anyone else run into this issue?

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Apr 12, 2010 Apr 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've had similar problems with CHM output. To display merged projects I've had to avoid using underscores in the output filenames and also re-merge the slave projects in the master. Otherwise, although the help file displayed fine on my PC a considerable amount of material was missing when the project was displayed on other machines. javascript:;

Are you creating web help output?

Regards

Author Care

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Apr 13, 2010 Apr 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am creating WebHelp and the project name and output name is one word with no spaces or underscores. I have checked every flag/option in both the Parent and child projects and have not seen anything that would cause this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 13, 2010 Apr 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jen

One thing to watch for is the existence of multiple web servers. Often you will find in organizations that multiple web servers are used for load balancing purposes. During one page load, the content may arrive from Server A. The next request may find Server A too busy so it's then served from Server C.

One possibility here is that multiple web servers are involved, but are somehow configured differently. Perhaps where the users aren't able to see things unless they use an explicit URL, they don't have correct permissions.

Finger pointing games do nobody any real good. But your job here is to test the output on your local PC first. Does the merge work properly there? If so, show this to your web admins. Then contrast that with the fact it doesn't seem to work correctly 100% of the time in their enviornment.

Cheers and good luck! Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 15, 2010 Apr 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to get the networking people to dig into this a little more. They are able to replicate both profiles for users who can see the merged project and those who cannot.

They have verified that all permissions are the same.

When they turned on logging, the user that could see the file logged access to the following files:

• whproj.xml
  • whxdata/whtoc.xml

The user profile that could not see the merged project did not log access to either of these files. We now have this occurring on one additional project so we would really like to figure out the issue rather than rename every project that disappears.

Thank you!
Jennifer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 17, 2010 Apr 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If the help is one one server only and everyone is looking at that but only some are seeing some of the files, isn't that a permissions problem?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp