11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2007 8:45 AM by MonteKrause

Slow, Blinking, Sluggish, Vector Path Tool

MonteKrause Level 1
      I am having problems with very sluggish tool performance in both Fireworks and Flash drawing tools. I shyed away from Macromedia applications in the past due to their sluggish, awkward interface. I don't think any of that has improved.

So someone give me a clue as to sluggish tool peformance. For instance, when using the Vector Path tool, it feels heavy and sluggish and very innacurate and takes forever to update a stroke let alone it blinks on and off as soon as I select the tool.
        • 1. Re: Slow, Blinking, Sluggish, Vector Path Tool
          Level 7
          PC or Mac? How much memory? I don't have any such problems on my old PC with
          2gb of RAM. I have experienced a little loss in performance since upgrading
          to CS3, but I'm not surprised, and nothing like you describe.

Peter
          and
          | Flash drawing tools. I shyed away from Macromedia applications in the
          past due
          | to their sluggish, awkward interface. I don't think any of that has
          improved.
          |
          | So someone give me a clue as to sluggish tool peformance. For instance,
          when
          | using the Vector Path tool, it feels heavy and sluggish and very
          innacurate and
          | takes forever to update a stroke let alone it blinks on and off as soon as
          I
          | select the tool.
          |

• 2. Re: Slow, Blinking, Sluggish, Vector Path Tool
            MonteKrause Level 1
            quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
            PC or Mac? How much memory? I don't have any such problems on my old PC with
            2gb of RAM. I have experienced a little loss in performance since upgrading
            to CS3, but I'm not surprised, and nothing like you describe.

Peter
            .... I have PC with an Intel Core Duo E6700 processor, 4GB of 800MHz DDR2 RAM, 800GB raid-0 SATA drive configuration with 2 250GB SATA scratch disks, and a GeForce 8800GTS PCIe 320MB DDR3 video ~~~

... *** Here is what I've discovered as to being a solution to my sluggish Macromedia/Adobe application performance in Windows Vista: Turn off the "Vista Aero" visual color schemes and use "Windows Standard" settings. It's that simple. ***

Thank you and good night!
            ~ Monte
            • 3. Re: Slow, Blinking, Sluggish, Vector Path Tool
              deesadler User Group Manager
              btw, Flash CS3 now has Illustrator's pen tool.
              Dee
              • 4. Re: Slow, Blinking, Sluggish, Vector Path Tool
                MonteKrause Level 1
                ... ah yes, the Pen - the gold standard of the vector path .... !!!
                • 5. Re: Slow, Blinking, Sluggish, Vector Path Tool
                  Level 7

"Montemedia" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                  news:fcp6ra$7sa$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  |
                  quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                  | PC or Mac? How much memory? I don't have any such problems on my old PC
                  with
                  | 2gb of RAM. I have experienced a little loss in performance since
                  upgrading
                  | to CS3, but I'm not surprised, and nothing like you describe.
                  |
                  | Peter
                  | ________________________
                  | .... I have PC with an Intel Core Duo E6700 processor, 4GB of 800MHz DDR2
                  RAM,
                  | 800GB raid-0 SATA drive configuration with 2 250GB SATA scratch disks, and
                  a
                  | GeForce 8800GTS PCIe 320MB DDR3 video ~~~

Ok so it's not your PC :-)
                  |
                  | ... *** Here is what I've discovered as to being a solution to my
                  sluggish
                  | Macromedia/Adobe application performance in Windows Vista: Turn off the
                  "Vista
                  | Aero" visual color schemes and use "Windows Standard" settings. It's that
                  | simple. ***

The Vista Aero problem is a known issue.

|
                  | Thank you and good night!

My pleasure, sweet dreams

Peter

• 6. Re: Slow, Blinking, Sluggish, Vector Path Tool
                    Level 7
                    PJR wrote:
                    > The Vista Aero problem is a known issue.

Really? I have Aero on on my machine and I get no sluggish performance
                    in any app. There must be more to it than that.

--
                    Stéphane Bergeron
                    reach:connect:communicate
                    www.webfocusdesign.com
                    blog:tutorials:articles:gallery
                    www.pixelyzed.com
                    • 7. Re: Slow, Blinking, Sluggish, Vector Path Tool
                      Level 7
                      Montemedia wrote:
                      > .... I have PC with an Intel Core Duo E6700 processor, 4GB of 800MHz DDR2 RAM,
                      > 800GB raid-0 SATA drive configuration with 2 250GB SATA scratch disks, and a
                      > GeForce 8800GTS PCIe 320MB DDR3 video ~~~

I have a similar system to yours although it's powered by an AMD Athlon
                      64 X2 Dual Core 5200+ and I have a GeForce 8800GTS PCIe 640MB DDR3 card,
                      same amount and type/speed of system Ram, Seagate Barracuda SATA drives.
                      OS is Vista 64 Ultimate.

I really have no issues with any of the CS3 apps (or any other app I
                      use), including Fireworks.

Just to check, what antivirus software are you using? Any firewall?
                      Resident anti-spyware?

--
                      Stéphane Bergeron
                      www.webfocusdesign.com
                      www.pixelyzed.com
                      • 8. Re: Slow, Blinking, Sluggish, Vector Path Tool
                        Level 7
                        Hmm, ok, sorry Stéphane and Montemedia if I'm passing on misleading info,
                        but I know and have read several posts by people using Vista who's problems
                        were caused by running the 'Aero' theme? and solved by turning it off.
                        Personally I'm still on XP so I'll shut up :-|

Peter
                        | > The Vista Aero problem is a known issue.
                        |
                        | Really? I have Aero on on my machine and I get no sluggish performance
                        | in any app. There must be more to it than that.
                        |
                        | --
                        | Stéphane Bergeron
                        | reach:connect:communicate
                        | www.webfocusdesign.com
                        | blog:tutorials:articles:gallery
                        | www.pixelyzed.com

• 9. Re: Slow, Blinking, Sluggish, Vector Path Tool
                          Level 7
                          PJR wrote:
                          > Hmm, ok, sorry St�phane and Montemedia if I'm passing on misleading info,
                          > but I know and have read several posts by people using Vista who's problems
                          > were caused by running the 'Aero' theme? and solved by turning it off.
                          > Personally I'm still on XP so I'll shut up :-|

No, it's not misleading info (sorry if that's what it sounded like I was
                          saying). Turning off Aero may indeed help some people's symptoms but,
                          like turning off graphics card acceleration seemed to solve a lot of
                          issues people were having with certain software, this is just indicative
                          of a symptom and not the problem itself.

Fireworks has long had this bug where copying an object by alt-clicking
                          and dragging was sluggish and the copied object would lag way behind the
                          pointer. All I know is that I'm not seeing that anymore on this machine
                          and I have Aero on. I was definitely seeing it on my old computer on XP
                          but that was a much slower computer.

--
                          Stéphane Bergeron
                          www.webfocusdesign.com
                          www.pixelyzed.com
                          • 10. Re: Slow, Blinking, Sluggish, Vector Path Tool
                            MonteKrause Level 1
                            ... turning off "Aero" solved All of the bugs I've experienced in both Fireworks CS3 and Flash CS3 but why is there no scratch disk preference in Fireworks or Flash?
                            • 11. Re: Slow, Blinking, Sluggish, Vector Path Tool
                              MonteKrause Level 1
                              Stéphane Bergeron asked: ... Just to check, what antivirus software are you using? Any firewall? Resident anti-spyware?

... no security software whatsoever!! I use hardware a firewallI ---- I will mention, I use a Intuos 2 Wacom 9x12 tablet ... chew on that ...