3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2010 4:14 PM by gator soup

Color Management in Acrobat: What is it doing?

bpylant Level 2

[cross-posted from the Acrobat forum]

I might be missing something very  obvious (wouldn't be the first time), but I'm having trouble deciphering  how Acrobat is applying color management. It doesn't seem to behave as I  would expect... although my expectation might not be valid.

For example,  I have a PDF with four images -- three are tagged with color profiles,  one is untagged. I can verify that each image has the correct profile  applied by opening the PDF into Photoshop and extracting the images;  each one opens correctly tagged.

I would think that Acrobat would honor the  three profiles and display the images accordingly, and for the untagged  image it would apply whichever profile was set up in the Color Settings.  Additionally, if I change the color settings I would expect the  untagged image to change appearance, but the other three remain the  same; however, all four will shift when I switch to a different profile.  Seems to me that it's somehow "doubly-applying" color management,  honoring the embedded profile but also applying the one specified in  Color Settings.

Acrobat doesn't have any options (that I can find) for  honoring, discarding or converting embedded profiles, as in  Photoshop/InDesign/Illustrator, only options to specify RGB, CMYK and  greyscale profiles. (Even "Color Management Off" doesn't seem correct,  as it still applies Web SWOP.)

Am I being dumb here? Please don't hesitate  to say so, I can take it!

• 1. Re: Color Management in Acrobat: What is it doing?
          gator soup Level 4

You got me curious so I set up the PDI target in Acrobat with 8 versions of one image in tagged and untagged pairs of sRGB, AppleRGB, AdobeRGB, ProPhotoRGB — here: http://www.gballard.net/PDItest.pdf (2.1MB download) sorry I couldn't figure how to attach a file in my forum message.

It appears you thought correct, but I can't see how it is otherwise misbehaving when I switch Working RGB:

"I would think that Acrobat would honor the  three profiles and display the images accordingly, and for the untagged  image it would apply whichever profile was set up in the Color Settings.

The most obvious test would be to set your Working RGB to ProPhoto RGB and watch the ProPhotoRGB (working RGB) profile be applied-assumed-applied-defaulted to the untagged images while displaying the tagged images correctly just like in Photoshop (be sure to switch back).

ProPhoto.jpg

• 2. Re: Color Management in Acrobat: What is it doing?
            Printer_Rick Level 4

A few questions:

1. In Acrobat Output Preview, do you see an Output Intent by the Simulation Profile?

2. In Acrobat Output Preview, when you pull down beside Show to Calibrated, do all the images remain visible except the untagged image?

3. What are the color spaces of the tagged images?

4. What are your default Acrobat color spaces?

Sorry for all the questions but I am unable to replicate your problem (so far anyway).

bpylant wrote:

For example,  I have a PDF with four images -- three are tagged with color profiles,  one is untagged. I can verify that each image has the correct profile  applied by opening the PDF into Photoshop and extracting the images;  each one opens correctly tagged.

I'm not sure what you mean here. If you control or right click on the image in Acrobat with the Touch Up Object and go to Edit Image, it should open in Photoshop. Is that what you are doing?

bpylant wrote:

Acrobat doesn't have any options (that I can find) for  honoring, discarding or converting embedded profiles, as in  Photoshop/InDesign/Illustrator, only options to specify RGB, CMYK and  greyscale profiles. (Even "Color Management Off" doesn't seem correct,  as it still applies Web SWOP.)

Acrobat is not a design platform like the other apps so the Color Management options do not correlate. Even though you can do heavy editing and color conversions in Acrobat, the app remains an evaluation tool in most workflows.

I'm not sure about the Web SWOP comment but it makes me think you are working with CMYK on a regular basis. In your PDF, do have all CMYK images, or a mix of RGB and CMYK?

Sorry I can't help more. Post back with specifics and hopefully someone can shed more light on your problem.

• 3. Re: Color Management in Acrobat: What is it doing?
              gator soup Level 4

I did some more reading to figure out my own InDesign-to-Acrobat answers.

This movie tutorial was very informative...

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/learn-acrobat-9/achieving-accurate-content-in-your-pdf/