11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2010 4:51 PM by the_wine_snob

Clean the crap from your brand name computer.

Harm Millaard Level 7

If you have a brand name computer, like Dell, HP, Sony, Asus, Acer or whatever, chances are you have a lot of crap on the system, because that comes pre-installed. Things like a 90-day trial of xxx and a free trial of yyy, and all that stuff, that is better removed than kept installed.

This program will clean up your pre-installed garbage and make for a better editing experience: http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/home

• 1. Re: Clean the crap from your brand name computer.
          shooternz Level 6

I need a program like that for my life.

• 2. Re: Clean the crap from your brand name computer.
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Craig,

Don't we all?

Hunt

• 3. Re: Clean the crap from your brand name computer.
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Harm,

Along the lines of that linked program, going back some years (many more than I thought), I picked up the state-of-the-art Toshiba laptop of the day. It took me 3 days of hard work to just remove AOL!!!!! Some years later, I still found little parts of it, and I had stepped through the Registry, line by line.

Please do not get me started on the other bloatware on that machine.

That is why I loved the Sager - just what I ordered and not one program/Process more.

Same for the last 5 workstation - nothing hidden, or installed. My builder hands off things to be stripped down, and then I add in what I might need. I looked at my wife's Dell the other day, and 70% of her HDD was filled with "stuff." I mentioned this to her head of IT, and he shrugged, saying that all of the corporate computers needed all of that "junk." If she were to do a multi-page document in Word, that thing would crash, but it's from her corporation, and IT manages it - not me.

Thanks for the link,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Clean the crap from your brand name computer.
                TradeWind Level 3

I used that on my wife's last laptop and my mother-in-law's as well. Worked pretty well, but in the end, I just ended up doing a straight wipe.

It worked pretty well to just start fresh

The thing to keep in mind for anyone going that route is to check the manufacturer's support page to be sure you can get all the drivers loaded after a wipe. Sometimes things like the trackpad, webcam, fingerprint reader and the multimedia buttons are driven by obscure drivers that are only sometimes listed on the support site.

Also a good idea to make sure you have the OS media and a key handy (naturally). If there were any software suites - such as MS Office - included on the machine, be sure to have those media and keys as well.

But I can safely say that I've not once found the pre-loaded software on ANY computer to be useful to me or to the others that I've helped out. Some of it is "cute" (like webcam widgets that let you turn your face into a stained glass window) but in almost all cases, these novelties wear off after about 4 days.

• 5. Re: Clean the crap from your brand name computer.
                  bertrenolds Level 1

Ha ha, if I bought a dell or any other crap brand computer instead of building one I would just reinstall windows when I got it.

Although sometimes with xp I found that it would install the dell or hp crap even with a normal xp cd. I think it has something to do with the key you use, I wonder if it's different with windows 7?

Heres one more thing to add, get AVG FREE! I just fixed a friends computer because he had no virus software and some fake virus scanner software that was actually a virus froze up his computer. Seriously computers should ship with avg free!

• 6. Re: Clean the crap from your brand name computer.
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

This is the third advice I have seen from you, that I wholeheartedly disagree with. AVG stinks, specially on a NLE system.

• 7. Re: Clean the crap from your brand name computer.
                      TradeWind Level 3

Agreed...AVG Free used to actually be pretty good, very lean. Nowadays, it's loaded with junk and occupies a lot of resources.

I go back and forth between keeping anti-virus on my editor and not...I generally don't do much web browsing on that machine, and usually only to known sites that have minimal risk.

There are other options out there that utilize very few resources and are intelligent...they stay out of the way when system resources are necessary for other applications. AVG free is probably decent for a non-editing machine still, but I'd rather go with Avast lately.

• 8. Re: Clean the crap from your brand name computer.
                        Level 4

My 80+ year old mom got a gateway computer about 1.5 years ago. Vista. I was over there troubleshooting it last month...wouldn't start (boot ).  Got on phone with gateway, they said, "unplug the power and data cable to the hard drive and start machine".  I did that...and presto change-o...it booted just fine !  There's ROM or something on there that boots the computer without a hard drive !  Wow !  So the brand name guys have their own stuff hard wired into the machine, I guess a chip on MOBO....and it probably looks for stuff that was installed with the OEM stuff...including OS.

Strange but true.

Rod

• 9. Re: Clean the crap from your brand name computer.
                          bertrenolds Level 1

AVG or Avast, a decent free virus scanner is better then no virus scanner, which is what windows comes with. Even on an editing machine I'm not worried, I'm not going to lose any video or projects as everything is all saved on a seperate drive from my OS and even if my files get corrupted I am sure I can still recover them. I think it would be foolish to have your machine connected to the internet without a virus scanner to save resources, you never know when you might get a virus, not that it's impossible to recover from one.

• 10. Re: Clean the crap from your brand name computer.
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Rod,

Eyes must be tired from squinting at The Masters, even on a 48" HD TV, as I missed the decimal point in "1.5." My first reaction was that your mom must be a professional beta tester for MS...

I always thought that Dell, Gateway, and HP, had fleets of "ninjas," who could detect when a user had removed the bloatware, and then just sneaked in at night, and reinstalled it. Maybe it IS a ROM chip, with all the junk on it?

I realize that for many users, all those utilities might seem fun and useful, but they really, really get in the way, when trying to do work with PrE, PrPro, AE, and even PS. I am always amazed at the running programs and Processes, on some of these machines, when Harm asks for a Process Explorer printout. Oh, 300 Processes can't possibly use any RAM, CPU cycles or Virtual Memory!

Even though I use my machines for more than just NLE work, some of that requiring more "stuff," I work hard to keep the programs, and Processes to the minimum. That is another reason that I will not update my iTunes on the laptop, until I also have time to clean the "stuff" out, that get added to the Startup scheme. [To me, iTunes is the modern-day RealMedia Player - really close to a virus.]

Hunt

• 11. Re: Clean the crap from your brand name computer.
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

I use an older version of Norton, BUT have a scheme for stopping all such stuff, when I do an editing session. Obviously, with my AV, pop-up blockers and sypsweepers manually turned OFF, I have zero Internet presence, and never check e-mails on the laptop, while editing.

AV software is not normally bad on a multi-use computer, so long as one just turns that stuff OFF. Edit, then just reboot.

Hunt