13 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2010 7:52 AM by whereisthemanual

Getting a little better but the crashes keep coming

whereisthemanual Level 1

Hey guys, I'm back after several days of intense editing. Have really learned the value of saving under a new name FREQUENTLY, and hard drives, BIG hard drives. I added another 1/2 TB SATA because the 50 gig digital files I was generating filled my other one and another 320GB. Turns out that compiling mini chapters and saving them as uncompressed AVI files REALLY speeds up the final compile and eliminates a lot of interim surprises (like lost work in a crash). That's the good news, along with my mastering cuts and tweaks, I' m almost having fun with this!

But then there are the crashes. Geeze...these are annoying. Especially with bigger files. You get that "you're running out of system memory, the system may become unstable and you need to save your work......" Then, before you can make a keystroke, program's gone. And sometimes takes your working file with it, though less often after the latest upgrade. I started watching the Performance field of the Task Manager, and it is very telling. CLEARLY 2GB of RAM is not enough. Unfortunately, I have a hyperthreaded machine and with 2GB, It's full. It sits between 1,1 -1.4GB during ops, then if it goes over that, you're headed to never-never land in a big hurry. Clearly Adobe has some serious memory management issues. It gets away from them a lot and there are a lot of 2GB machines out there. I wish I could spring for something better but I just cant do it now.

Problem 2. Sometimes the system gets into a mode where PREVIEW PLAY won't stop. In fact once playing, the computer responds to no commands or mouse action at all....VERY annoying. Must play thru entire video to end before stopping and returning your control. The video and audio timeline move to the left but the time scale above it is stuck. Cant change zoom and often the video preview is doing nothing and just audio is playing. A real time waster, only solved by shut down and that sloooowwww restart of PRe8.

Problem 3. If you zoom in on a timeline then drag the position indicator at the bottom even a little above slowly, BOOM. You get that memory warning and crash all within about 2 seconds....pretty reliably, maybe every time. I am a CAD person and used to zipping around a drawing, usually so fast most people cant figure out what I'm doing. Boy, have I had to temper THAT behavior in video editing!

And the most annoying one....That the video playback doesn't track audio, skips frames and (even with PRe8 processing priority pushed to Hi, which helps some) makes it really hard to avoid test burns to see if your timing is right. As said earlier, I am doing BMP animations mixed with video and audio clips. I would say this 20 minute project has 300 between audio and video, could be more. I am actually quite pleased with my results but it is a very painful process.

Any way to tab from cut to cut?

It would make finding gaps a lot easier in my zillion cut video.

I know arrows step frames but neet cut skipping.

I'll be working thru another weekend so hope someone sees this!

• 1. Re: Getting a little better but the crashes keep coming
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

That's a lot of cover in one post, where. Is there one specific question or issue we can help you with?

BTW, you can jump from cut to cut on your timeline using Page Up and Page Down.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Getting a little better but the crashes keep coming
            whereisthemanual Level 1

Hi Steve, thanks, that pageu/d was the answer I needed, Thank you, I am having a tough time in my final assembly because of all the crashes, I must be on the hairy edge.

I was just posting the rest of that in the hopes that the adobe people look at their memory issues.

Adding to the previous 4 issues...

#5...getting little audio burps after pasting together uncompressed 2-minute sections right at the intersection yet there is no audio there in the pieces. Dont have any further clues on that one, the pieces play fine.

#6 Clear a uncompressed video clip from a track and immediately try to move the time marker or zoom, BOOM. memory message and crash all in a blink.

#7 Just wonder what this is....Top right corners of both the audio and video tracks in a uncompressed avi are shaded. Not always, just one of them???

Thanks for any help

• 3. Re: Getting a little better but the crashes keep coming

I'm not sure why you're using uncompressed video, but that actually could be contributing to your issues. Premiere Elements uses a DV-AVI workflow, and that, rather than uncompressed AVI, is the ideal format to work with in this program. Uncompressed video is actually ungainly -- a good five times the size of DV video -- and most computers choke trying to work with it.

Besides, it gives  you no advantage in Premiere Elements since, because of the way the program works, whatever you put into it gets turned into DV-AVIs before the program can work with it anyway. That's why you're likely having to render your video all the time and why you're seeing so much lugging and crashing.

You want to use a video format that, when you add it to your timeline, has neither a red nor green line above it on the timeline. DV-AVIs in a project set up for DV has no lines above it until you add an effect or transition to it, and the program uses it very efficiently.

As for the little "flag" or flap or shade on the upper corner of some of your videos, if you're describing what I think you're describing, that's an indicator that your video is completely untrimmed. If you trim off a bit of the end of your video, this corner flap will disappear. If you untrim your video clip all the way, it will return.

I've worked for the past several years to provide lots of information on this program, if you're at all interested, where. I have published several books as well as co-created the web site Muvipix.com, which includes not only the most knowledgeable, helpful forum you'll find on the web but also includes over 1000 tutorials, articles, music clips, motion backgrounds, custom-created DVD menus and stock footage. Much of it is free and even more is available for a small subscription which we use to keep the site up and running.

I hope, at the very least, that you've checked out my free basic training with Premiere Elements tutorials as well as some of the Cool Tricks and Hot Tips tutorials on the page we've created to promote my new book. http://Muvipix.com/cooltricks.

Hope to see you there!

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Getting a little better but the crashes keep coming
                whereisthemanual Level 1

Steve, unfortunately, I am doing, for the most part, what any engineer does, and any instructor balks at, flying blind...or nearly so. I am so used to intuitive CAD or engineering or even audio editing software, that when this project came up, doing a video presentation for potential licensees of an invention, I thought, "I can do that". Yipes, has this been a life-lesson, there is one heck of a lot of technique here!

As soon as this project is out of the way, we're talking a couple days now, I will read everything I can. I'm in survival mode, I have 2 presentations that are time and $$$ critical I must do in a week or so. I have read some of the stuf online and have another book (regrettably, not yours) and I am freaking out.

So I should be saving (to computer) as DV NTSC Standard or widescreen, and NOT uncompressed?

I'm sure I mentioned that was what I was using (uncomp) in another forum and I guess nobody caught it. I assumed you work in uncompressed to maintain sharp edges, etc in my BMP animations. Some encoding wrecks sharp transitions in video.

Again DV NTSC? Want to be sure.

That could be it, those files are Ginormous!!!

• 5. Re: Getting a little better but the crashes keep coming
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

If you are Exporting, with intent on Importing into another Project for either assembly, or additional editing, then DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV, or something like the Lagarith Lossless CODEC, are as good as it gets. This is for SD Projects.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Getting a little better but the crashes keep coming
                    whereisthemanual Level 1

Are you guys using software with different options?

The options under "save to a PC" for Pre8 are:

Adobe Flash

MPEG

AVI

Then under AVI are:

DV NTSC Standard

DV NTSC Widescreen

DV PAL Standard

DV PAL Widescreen

Microsoft AVI

Uncompressed Microsoft AVI

DV NTSC Mono

DV NTSC Widescreen Mono

Microsoft AVI mono

Uncompressed Microsoft AVI mono

Nothing about DV-AVI type II

Under "Advanced" I do have the proper audio rate and such but the "Lagarith Lossless encoder" is not an option

currently it is just "DV NTSC"

There ARE other options, Cinepak Codec by Radius, Divx 6.8.5 Codec (2 logical CPUs), (mine) DV NTSC, DV PAL, Indeo video 5.10, Indeo Video R3.2, Indeo Video R4.5, Intel IYUV codec, Microsoft RLE, Microsoft Video 1, Uncompressed UYVY 422 8bit

But not yours...

I used to work for Columbia Records Recording Research Div ((WAY back) and we never encoded or compressed anything and my experience with video elsewhere is it it trashes edges, so I chose uncompresses for reitterative editing, it SEEMED to make sense! I need sharp video.

• 7. Re: Getting a little better but the crashes keep coming

Ditto. Share/Personal Computer/DV-AVI. (In version 8, it's just called AVI -- but it's a DV-AVI by default.)

It should make a world of difference in your performance and Premiere Elements' stability.

• 8. Re: Getting a little better but the crashes keep coming
                        whereisthemanual Level 1

It sure is WAY faster... I'm reencoding my chapters now, it'll be a while but it wails compared to before.

I'll let you know how the video looks when done!

Thanks guys,

Friday night, almost 11pm and the both of you are sitting in front of a PC talking to a goofball, seat-of-the-pants video editor.

I hope you have more exciting plans for tomorrow!

Thanks again!

• 9. Re: Getting a little better but the crashes keep coming

I'm just sorry it took you this long to get to this basic stuff.

Hope things work well for you. I'm going to call it a night.

• 10. Re: Getting a little better but the crashes keep coming
                            whereisthemanual Level 1

OK Guys,

Finished recompiling 8 chapters in DV AVI and burned a disc.

Looking at this with my very discerning eye, I would say there is a visible (to me) difference, with the uncompressed being slightly sharper. There are some fine details in the bitmaps that are a little less sharp BUT, in no way is this "improvement" (probably not visible to others) worth the aggrivation and monster files, almost consistently 8 times larger !!!

I used to evaluate video monitor technologies for commercial applications, so I really look for edge detail but I'd be really surprised if anyone else could see it.

I'm sold.

I bet my crashes drop by a factor of 8 too!

Thanks one more time, awesome support on a late Friday night!

Don

• 11. Re: Getting a little better but the crashes keep coming
                              nealeh Level 5

Steve Grisetti wrote:

I hope, at the very least, that you've checked out my free basic training with Premiere Elements tutorials as well as some of the Cool Tricks and Hot Tips tutorials on the page we've created to promote my new book. http://Muvipix.com/cooltricks.

I'm a little worried Steve - are they all poorly sighted and hard of hearing in your neck of the woods? All those fireballs crossing the sky and crashing - yet not one of those in the car park seems to have noticed.

Cheers,
                              --
                              Neale
                              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 12. Re: Getting a little better but the crashes keep coming

Actually, Neale, this time of year those fireballs feel pretty good!

• 13. Re: Getting a little better but the crashes keep coming
                                  whereisthemanual Level 1

Entrepreneurialism often comes with little or no support staff and unmanageable tasks, with no time to accomplish them in. It's exciting and terrifying all in one. 

I made some assumptions about my abilities and comitted to a video I can't afford to pay someone else to do, after 2 years of self-funded development.

Without your support, I would never finish this video, and with it, I am a couple days from that goal. And i think the results are really great. Yes, I did not take the required time to study the process first, and I paid for it. Boy, did I pay for it.

Let this be a lesson to those who might follow in my path!

Don