1 2 Previous Next 48 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2010 6:26 AM by levancho

Keeping Flash off the iPad could hurt, Adobe says

Johnking08 Level 1

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/04/09/adobe.apple/index.html

I want to know how much it hurts. Can you run Java or Java Mobil in iPhone or iPad?

• 1. Re: Keeping Flash off the iPad could hurt, Adobe says
          pauland Level 4

I would think it hurts Adobe a lot. They've invested in a technology -  the cross compiler - that may now be entirely useless. They have a Flash  developer base that wants to develop for the iWhatever, but can't and  they have a product announcement coming up that should have featured the  cross compiler heavily.

Apple must surely be treading on a lot of toes (besides Adobes).

I think a lot of people at Adobe aren't having a quiet weekend.

Paul

• 2. Re: Keeping Flash off the iPad could hurt, Adobe says
            David_F57 Level 5

Hi,

This is an interesting turn of events, One has to wonder just how close is Jobs getting to the restrictive trade/anti-trust laws of various countries. And he has just stepped on the toes of every digital media agency on the planet.

Me I have a new cause

step one- Australia's premier current affairs show- I have already contacted them via email and been in touch with a friend who works for the network in the hope he can help promote the story up the food chain.

the email-

"Today Tonight" happily acted as an advertising agent for the release of the Apple ipad but did not let the public know that this device is not only restricting internet access but Steve Jobs of Apple is deliberately endangering the employment  of thousands of web developers that create internet applications for mobile devices by blocking flash based content on Apple devices (hundreds of millions of websites globally have flash based content including youtube, your website and Australia's premier employment site seek.com.au). The whole digital media industry in this country rely on flash content being viewable to internet users.

Your organisation prides itself on offering clear unbisased views on current affairs and general interest stories, surely if the release of the Apple ipad is news worthy so is the sinister side of Apple's marketing strategy.

David

• 3. Re: Keeping Flash off the iPad could hurt, Adobe says
              David_F57 Level 5

step 2 - start a social networking campaign against i-stuff

Any suggestions on what the primary content should be  ?

my first draft ---

Steve Jobs(the Apple guy) has become a self proclaimed internet censor - He has decided that you shouldn't be allowed to view any flash based content on i-pad/i-phone becuase its free and you should only be able to view video content that he sell's to you.  The only answer to this is to pass on this message - don't buy Apple mobile internet devices like ipad/iphone if you want to keep internet content like you-tube free.

• 4. Re: Keeping Flash off the iPad could hurt, Adobe says
                JeffryHouser Level 4

No Java on the iPhone or iPad either.

Really, it is unknown how much this will hurt; if it all.  In an SEC Filing it is up to the copany to list anything that may possible / potentially harm their business.  If they don't they can be sued by "Stock owners" for defrauding them if the stock goes down.  So, it is in the companies best interests to throw everything possible into such lists.

In reality, the iPhone Flash CS5 exporter is just one feature of one product in the CS Suite.  Apple mobile devices have a small share of the smart phone market; despite the fact that they get the most press.  If Adobe can't make a solid profitable business case for serving the other 85%-90% of the market; then they truly are in trouble.

• 5. Re: Keeping Flash off the iPad could hurt, Adobe says
                  pauland Level 4

The problem is that the market is changing rapidly and Apple are in the driving seat. The way Apple are going, they could become the Old Microsoft of tomorrow. Today we are talking Apple. Tomorrow we could be talking Apple and Google.

What kind of device will people be using in five years time? Apple have changed the landscape and are way ahead in the race.

• 6. Re: Keeping Flash off the iPad could hurt, Adobe says
                    JeffryHouser Level 4

But, Apple still likes their elite status and control.  A more open system will win out in the end.

If I had to guess; eventually the mobile device market will parallel the desktop market.  Apple will have a small percentage and will be considered trendy / cool; but at a higher cost point.  Then there will be an operating system / platform for the rest of us.  At this moment,I'd bet on Android being that OS.  It is open and anyone can use it.

• 7. Re: Keeping Flash off the iPad could hurt, Adobe says
                      pauland Level 4

Consumers drive Apples profits, not developers. Developers would be an issue if Apple had a content drought, but looking at the Appstore, Apple doesn't have a problem.

Why should Apple care about bleating Flash developers?

Consumers don't care about open devices, it's a developer thing. Nobody ever complained to me that their XBox, PS3, WII, Nintendo DS, iTouch, iPhone, .. wasn't "Open". OK, ok , they do complain of they develop with Flash.

Apple is defining the future market. Not being open isn't an issue for consumers. Consumers == Profits.

• 8. Re: Keeping Flash off the iPad could hurt, Adobe says
                        JeffryHouser Level 4

You're thinking short term.

Long term; not being open will become an issue for consumers when they can't use the apps they want on the device.

It is foolish for any business to build for the Apple App store due to the limtitations and restrictions.  No business owner will fund development of a product with no guarantee they can ever bring that product to market; and no guarantee how long they'll be able to keep it on the market.

Over time; businesses will shift development to platforms that place less restrictions on them and consumers will go to devices that provide the apps they need / want.

It won't be tomorrow; it may not even be in 5 years; but I'd be willing to bet my future that is how things will play out.

• 9. Re: Keeping Flash off the iPad could hurt, Adobe says
                          SpaghettiCoder Level 3

Adobe should play hard ball, and stop making software for the mac...

Adobe supported apple since the beginning when there wasn't much use for a mac except the adobe graphic programs on it.

Nice to know this is how Steve Jobs treats those who supported him from the beginning.  Question is, why support those who don't support you, actually who openly bash you.

Lets not forget that Steve Jobs also called Adobe lazy programmers and Google evil.

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/01/googles-dont-be-evil-mantra-is-********-adobe-is-la zy-apples-steve-jobs/

Steve jobs says flash crashes a lot? are you kidding me, I've never seen a flash player crash on me, but I've experienced lots and lots of quick time player crashes. Quick time can't even save my preferences and use them properly either.

Why doesn't apple just admit it, their hardware is too weak to run flash.  That's right, a Nexus one will be able to run flash, yet a iphone can't.

• 10. Re: Keeping Flash off the iPad could hurt, Adobe says
                            David_F57 Level 5

Hi,

Could Steve Jobs reaction to Google and Adobe have anything to do with online advertising, seems to me a lot of Apple money has been sunk into blunder Boy's latest pet project iAds, Steve's answer to decimate Google's strangle hold on online advertising, and what is the primary product currently used for online advertising ?. Well Steve how are you going to win this battle when all things Apple account for about 5% of global internet access ?.

So appstore has had 4 billion downloads - most of those free, lets see1 billion paid downloads 200,000 apps thats about 5,000 sales per app so even if I get reasonable hits from appstore I am unlikely to earn more than a few thousand dollars a year its just not worth the effort when I can make more than that on an insurance calculator I write between Saturday breakfast and Sundays Formula 1 race.

Is Apple even relevant for web development be it advertising, RIA or fully flashed websites. I don't think so, it may have been nice to do the occasional apple app for the banking or insurance industry(under protest of course and a weighted premium for having to deal with Apple tech ) my real interest is in Mobile 7 and Android. Maybe in a year or 2 Apple will once again have to bite the bullet, bend over take it like a man and install either Windows Mobile or Android on their tablets to regain market credibility.

David.

• 11. Re: Keeping Flash off the iPad could hurt, Adobe says
                              pauland Level 4

JeffryHouser wrote:

You're thinking short term.

Yes.

Long term; not being open will become an issue for consumers when they can't use the apps they want on the device.

Maybe. What you are describing is the current situation for non-iphone developers. Want that mobile app? you need to buy an iPhone.

It is foolish for any business to build for the Apple App store due to the limtitations and restrictions.  No business owner will fund development of a product with no guarantee they can ever bring that product to market; and no guarantee how long they'll be able to keep it on the market.

A lot of businesses are happy to make that investment. Nothing is forever. They are making money now.

Over time; businesses will shift development to platforms that place less restrictions on them and consumers will go to devices that provide the apps they need / want.

Business will always go to where money is to be made. You are right about consumers - that's why the iPhone is so successful - the applications.

It won't be tomorrow; it may not even be in 5 years; but I'd be willing to bet my future that is how things will play out.

Where was the mobile market five years ago? Apple kicked the butt of every mobile manufacturer on the planet. When jobs thinks the current policy is hurting Apple he'll change it. If he thinks it makes him more money to have flash on the iPhone, he'll let it on. That's all this is about - making money for Apple.

It's pointless talking about five years time - anything can happen between now and then.

My thought is that Google will build customer base with the aid of phone manufacturers then maybe kick the market and just go their own way like Apple.

• 12. Re: Keeping Flash off the iPad could hurt, Adobe says
                                JeffryHouser Level 4

pauland wrote:

A lot of businesses are happy to make that investment. Nothing is forever. They are making money now.

One correction; with few exceptions the only one making money off the app store is Apple.  Most apps do not have the penetration or downloads to make them worthwhile--from a business perspective.

This is my favorite graphic on the topic: http://gigaom.com/2010/01/12/the-apple-app-store-economy/

It may make sense for companies who are building apps to extend some portion of their business; but do not rely on the App store for revenue.  Most developers are discovering the promised gold mine does not exist.

• 13. Re: Keeping Flash off the iPad could hurt, Adobe says
                                  Ansury Level 3

It's yet to be seen whether it hurts Adobe more than Apple.  It could backfire and hurt Apple more, and part of the reason is simply that Flash came first (by a long shot).  After all, THEIR (Apple) hardware isn't compatible with many websites or features of many websites?

Will most users connect and blame Adobe for sites not functioning on iTampons, or will they blame Apple for their poor support of many websites?  Do most users even know 100% of the time when Flash is being used?

I think it just might hurt Apple more--the catch is that there needs to be better alternatives out there which DO support Flash.  (Is this the case or no?)

Funny list, I'm sure it's outdated, not sure of it's accuracy, and I disagree with #15... but lack of Flash is mentioned as a reason that iPhone sucks, not the other way around.

"11. It lacks proper support for Flash websites. So much for the internet."

Reasons iPhone sucks:

1. At $599, it is ridiculously expensive. (Add in the cost of an AT&T contract and you get close to $1500)

2. Those who want to buy one must sell their soul to evil mega-corporation AT&T.

3. Japan already has technologically superior phones, and they’re far cheaper.

4. Slower internet than the commercials show: “The data experience is going to be very slow. If you’re on a cellular network, [using the Internet] is going to be very slow.”

5. Initial reports indicate that YouTube is slow and crappy using cellular network internet/EDGE. It’s nothing like in the commercials.

6. You cannot remove its battery. Thanks for replicating one of the biggest complaints about the ipod, Apple!

7. The glass touch screen of the iPhone guarantees that thousands of customers who drop their phones will have cracked screens.

8. The touchscreen keyboard sucks, according to those who have used the phone.

9. It can’t send MMS picture messages.

10. The camera has little or no options, and the pictures it takes aren’t very good.

11. It lacks proper support for Flash websites. So much for the internet.

12. It can’t record video.

13. “Pinching” pictures to zoom might look neat in commercials, but many reviewers are saying it actually sucks.

14. It lacks 3G high-speed data transfer.

15. No songs as ringtones.

16. No GPS.

17. It doesn’t work under 64-bit Windows XP / Windows Vista!!!!!!! Thanks for not including that in your Windows System Requirements, Apple!

18. It only allows for a maximum of 1 picture to be attached to each e-mail you send.

19. It doesn’t have a file browser/organizer.

20. Its default ringtones suck.

21. You can not save documents on it: documents can only be viewed as attachments when they’re sent to your e-mail address.

22. No games!!

23. Its “quick list” dialing sucks compared to traditional speed dialing, which it lacks..

24. Long activation waits: many new iPhone users are reporting that they are being told to wait hours or even days to activate service for their phone. Thanks, AT&T!

25. Heat issues: the iPhone can get very hot when it is in use.
                                  26. Deceptive Ads: Apple has been using models with gigantic hands in their advertisements for the iPhone in an effort to trick consumers into believing it is more compact.

27. Many of the positive press reports about the iPhone are influenced by newspapers and TV networks that simply want to profit from the hypefest, or even worse, reporters who are looking to sell books about the iPhone.

28. It creates incredibly annoying iPhone fanboys.

• 14. Re: Keeping Flash off the iPad could hurt, Adobe says
                                    pauland Level 4

Ansury, my iPhone knowledge isn't great, but even I know the list is wildly inaccurate, so much so as to be highly misleading.

Paul

• 15. Re: Keeping Flash off the iPad could hurt, Adobe says
                                      Ansury Level 3

Yeah, I mentioned that.  ("No games?")

Like I said, much of it is wrong now (it is 3 years old I think), but I still found it funny to read.  :)  Especially the last one!

Edit: Okay, I did say "not sure" of accuracy, should have said some are certainly inaccurate.  Figured much of it was due to age of the list.

• 16. Re: Keeping Flash off the iPad could hurt, Adobe says
                                        David_F57 Level 5

Hi,

Where was the mobile market five years ago? Apple kicked the butt of every mobile manufacturer on the planet.

This has to come from the only place in the world where they can have a world series championship which only consists of 1 country. Apple did well in the States not so much the rest of the world.

Global sales of iphone haven't come close to kicking anyones butt, late last year the droid beat iphones 74 day mark of 1 million sales with out so much as raising a sweat, The japanese toyed with iphone momentarily in the hustle and bussle of marketing before sales dropped of dramatically, in the UK sales where regarded as disappointing, in Australia they wouldn't even work on the local networks.

Of all the people I directly know that have purchased/contracted new phones since the release of iphone only 4 of 27 went for iphones only one of those still use the iphone on a regular basis and one saw the thing fall to pieces after it suffered a fall from his coffee table a common thing that has never cuased damage to any other phone he has owned before, the one female I know that bought one decided she prefered to keep her french tip finger nails which made it impossible to use the iphone. yet they had never cuased issues with her LG prada touch which she went back to. 

I am aware of one insurance company that offered their staff a choice between a blackberry or iphone a resounding response was to stick with blackberrys some did take on the iphone but it cuased nothing but heart ache with email syncronisation.

On the scale of things Apple did very little to upset the mobile market they have approx 20% of the US market and less than 3% of the global market that does not constitute any form off planetary butt kicking.

David

• 17. Re: Keeping Flash off the iPad could hurt, Adobe says
                                          Ansury Level 3

Exactly.  I keep hearing all this hype of market dominance but I only know a few people with one and they're not all huge fans, even.  It's all propaganda and hype.

Apple has gained status of "benevolent, innovative corporation" in the minds of many people.  So they can get away with more than your average company.  Between them and Google (even more so in that case), to some people they can do no wrong and everything they create or "innovate" is given a much larger benefit of the doubt than anything created by those old, evil, greedy corporations.

It's all marketing.  And I hope Google and Apple suffer for this propaganda campaign some day.  People do seem to be waking up to Apple's brand of kool aid, Google not yet so much (Google Web Toolkit anyone? Ugh, AJAX hacks...), but let's give it time for privacy issues to really come to the surface.

Meh, I won't be buying any of their stuff.  Read a book if you're away from your PC.  If I wanted to look at the Internet with a 2 inch screen all day, I wouldn't have purchased this 28" monitor...

• 18. Re: Keeping Flash off the iPad could hurt, Adobe says
                                            pauland Level 4

David_F57 wrote:

Hi,

Where was the mobile market five years ago? Apple kicked the butt of every mobile manufacturer on the planet.

This has to come from the only place in the world where they can have a world series championship which only consists of 1 country. Apple did well in the States not so much the rest of the world.

I haven't noticed the world series chapionship here in the UK. Maybe you mean that country in the "New World"?

Global sales of iphone haven't come close to kicking anyones butt, late last year the droid beat iphones 74 day mark of 1 million sales with out so much as raising a sweat, The japanese toyed with iphone momentarily in the hustle and bussle of marketing before sales dropped of dramatically, in the UK sales where regarded as disappointing, in Australia they wouldn't even work on the local networks.

Of all the people I directly know that have purchased/contracted new phones since the release of iphone only 4 of 27 went for iphones only one of those still use the iphone on a regular basis and one saw the thing fall to pieces after it suffered a fall from his coffee table a common thing that has never cuased damage to any other phone he has owned before, the one female I know that bought one decided she prefered to keep her french tip finger nails which made it impossible to use the iphone. yet they had never cuased issues with her LG prada touch which she went back to. 

I am aware of one insurance company that offered their staff a choice between a blackberry or iphone a resounding response was to stick with blackberrys some did take on the iphone but it cuased nothing but heart ache with email syncronisation.

On the scale of things Apple did very little to upset the mobile market they have approx 20% of the US market and less than 3% of the global market that does not constitute any form off planetary butt kicking.

Well, I still think Apple kicked everyones butt - they dominate the mobile landscape and have everyone chasing around to emulate them. TV advertising has changed to emulate the iphone's gestures. Companies advertise themselves and promote the fact they have an iPhone app for our use.

The iPhone brand dominates the mobile industry and as you rightly say it sells at a premium price. I wouldn't expect any premium price product to outsell others in sales volume or value, but for a company that has moved from being non-existant in the mobile market a very few years ago, to being the market leader now.

You mention Blackberrys - the niche leader in corporate circles because of it's early lead in making emails accessible to the travelling salesman and management. Anecdotes about coporate use and Blackberries really don't surprise me, but as a personal purchase most people aspire to the iPhone, not a blackberry.

Really speaking, as you say the iPhone is hardly perfect, but it's brand is rock solid and it's rocked the development world and phone manufacturers out of a long slumber.

Paul

• 19. Re: Keeping Flash off the iPad could hurt, Adobe says
                                              David_F57 Level 5

One last thing,

My four year old htc touch came straight out of the box with 3g, gps, multitasking, replaceble battery bluetooth, wifi, usb, mms expandable memory and reasonable battery life, today it is still a far superior phone to the iphone, so much for Apple innovation, if you want to mesmerise a magpie just use a shiny object , hmmm seems like a good marketing strategy. As for multitouch everything you can do on an Iphone you can do on the htc, pinch, well the htc is clock wise motion zoom anti clockwise shrink. swipe no problem flick no problem. Oh and touch resolution 4 times that of the iphone hence better touch performance.

I have spent the last several months investing a great deal of time in the usability of multi-touch, my conclusion is I wasted a lot of money on multi-touch devices including this dog of a 22" dell monitor that sits over my notebook(nothing worse than a fly walking over your screen just when you are about to get the bad guy with your sniper rifle), for small device multi-touch is nothing but a gimmick, i think that the ipad will just about be the last magpie object that Apple will get away with before we get to see some real innovation, i'm guessing it won't be from Apple.

I wonder if Steve will let Adobe advertise their native iphone compiler on iAds...

David.

• 20. Re: Keeping Flash off the iPad could hurt, Adobe says
                                                Ansury Level 3

pauland wrote:

Really speaking, as you say the iPhone is hardly perfect, but it's brand is rock solid and it's rocked the development world and phone manufacturers out of a long slumber.

Paul

I will admit, it has done that.  But again, maybe my sampling is biased, however I just don't see these things as much as the hype leads you to believe.

• 21. Re: Keeping Flash off the iPad could hurt, Adobe says
                                                  David_F57 Level 5

Hi Paul,

Wouldn't have picked you as a pom, thanks for the heads up

I don't believe that the iphone brought the mobile industry out of its sleep, they brought current technology to the attention of consumers nothing more, nokia haven't really done anything exceptional in response to iphone, the htc nexus is just part of the regular development that htc have been doing for years, the only thing that changed with htc was that they changed to a direct marketing strategy 3 years ago rather than distribute their devices badged with telco names. LG and samsung offerings seem to be a continuation of their core technology with the usual update to core components such as processors and screens, LG and samsung havent even gone to the effort of offering standard usb ports. Motorola finally realized that they could no longer live of the success of the razr so they had no choice about coming up with a better device. SonyEricsson well god knows what they are even doing in the mobile market. 

David

• 22. Re: Keeping Flash off the iPad could hurt, Adobe says
                                                    pauland Level 4

I guess we can all speculate on the importance of the iPhone and iPad, but it's now down to a battle of wills between Apple and the development world. It's a bad day for Adobe, no matter what.

I think that the fact there is such debate about Apple and iWhatever in the development community does show how important they have become.

Should my next investment be in Apple hardware and software or Adobe?

• 23. Re: Keeping Flash off the iPad could hurt, Adobe says
                                                      gigasaurus Level 1

Flash is one of the world's greatest authoring environments and the iPhonePadPod is one of the world's best content experiencing platforms, so it really chaps my hide that this is happening.

I guess the way I see it possibly backfiring on Apple is if Adobe still releases the exporter and flash developers create content that starts a market for "non-iTunes approved" apps available outside of iTunes in a jailbroken environment.

• 24. Re: Keeping Flash off the iPad could hurt, Adobe says
                                                        David_F57 Level 5

Hi,

It always amuses me trying to interpreting the logic people apply to Apple tech. If a device can not offer a complete web browsing experience(i.e. cant display all the offered content) how can that device be part of the world's best content experiencing platforms, unless of course we are heading back to static html and gif animations. All modern portable devices deal with video and music pretty well(and in a much more friendly way than Apple devices ever have), so that leaves the web and unfortunately Apple just don't get it.

Flash developers haven't been developing on the ipod/iphone devices so for the flash community its more of the same. For Apple, not addressing a major community involved in web development is a marketing mistake, Apple don't have control on who can or can't offer online content stores, will this move strengthen their strangle hold on online merchandising or see it be chipped away by competition, I think the latter.

Adobe have given the flash community the ability to develop software for the iphone/ipad so its Steve's move next, is he going to modify the devices to prevent this software running on Apple tech ?, is he ready to pour Apple's profits into pointless litigation, no wait... he's already doing that.

Will it really hurt Adobe if they can't bring some of the Apple mobile device developer's into their fold ?.

Apple users will alway be Apple users, even the ones that go load Windows on their Macs(to me thats the equivalent of closet gays, Its the 21st century its time to come out of the closet, be loud be proud and shout out i'm an Apple fanboy but I use microsoft products, and flash and java and lots of other products that don't have a chewed up apple logo on the packaging )

David.

ps: Is that rumor about the Scientologists and Applonians merging true ?.

• 25. Re: Keeping Flash off the iPad could hurt, Adobe says
                                                          daslicht Level 2

Heya Guys,

the WePad looks promising,it supports AIR, Java Applications and got a built in Camera and the Applications are not dictated by Apple.

Ahh and it supports Flash.

http://www.neofonie.de/files/product_specifications_WePad_1004012.pdf

Cheers

Marc

• 26. Re: Keeping Flash off the iPad could hurt, Adobe says
                                                            David_F57 Level 5

Hi,

This is an interesting device, pity the delivery date is so far off, hopefully by then they will have worked out how to squeeze a little more battery life out of the device (lots of space around the display solar trickle charging wouldn't hurt).  It would be good to see info on pricing structure next month.

Now its a matter of waiting to see who else is going to have this type of 'more feature complete' tablet device available before the 2010 xmas bonanza sales period.

thanks for the link Marc.

David

• 27. Re: Keeping Flash off the iPad could hurt, Adobe says
                                                              daslicht Level 2

>thanks for the link Marc.

You are welcome ! and it's alway a pleasure to help.

What about that upcoming HP slate Tablet which runs WIN7. This might be interesting as well.

Best Regards

Marc

• 28. Re: Keeping Flash off the iPad could hurt, Adobe says
                                                                David_F57 Level 5

Yeah I was looking at this, and at an expected $549 pricing is ok as well

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/05/hp-slate-reappears-for-30-seconds-shows-off-camera-and- custom-i/

David

• 29. Re: Keeping Flash off the iPad could hurt, Adobe says
                                                                  hINTModuleState

I really do'nt understand why Adobe is complaining.

If Apple did not support Flash on its browser, then Adobe only has to create a new free browser that can run on the iPhone and that can execute Flash.

Now, we know that each time there is a hyperlink on an iPhone application, the system launches Safari.

Well, that can be changed. I beleive, that through legal means, Adobe can force Apple to add a configuration area where the user can select the default browser and it is that browser that will be launched each time there is a request from another app.

If Adobe is unable to do this, then of course they can hire me and I'll do the job for them ( I ask for a Mercedes by advance ).

But of course they can do it. However if Apple decision not to run Flash on Safari is based on true and concrete things, then Adobe has better to talk with Apple, set the list of problems and try get an engagement that if bugs and performance issues are all resolved, then Apple allows Flash to run on the iPhone.

This is my point of view.

• 30. Re: Keeping Flash off the iPad could hurt, Adobe says
                                                                    daslicht Level 2

Do you really think Apple would allow Adobe to create a Browser where people can play free flash games rather than buying them from Apple?

I thing the main point here is about business and less about that flash is so bad... my impression

• 31. Re: Keeping Flash off the iPad could hurt, Adobe says
                                                                      hINTModuleState Level 1

ooh yes, how could I not figured out that.

It is like there will be one to be hurt, unavoidably.

But what I said yields itself : Adobe can go on and create the new browser, legally force Apple to add configuration where to select the active browser, and intuitively, Apple can not make use of the law to prevent Adobe from creating the browser, unless it can make use of the lawmakers and lawdecisors.

• 32. Re: Keeping Flash off the iPad could hurt, Adobe says
                                                                        levancho Level 3

It is funny how fast Apple forgot that its reason detre several years ago was mostly held by adobe products, and its image of being a professionals Choice for design, was strongly enforced By Photoshop and other design tools,

well, this ridiculous "NO Flash" on Ipad/Iphone is not going to last, common HTM5 is not even close to  FP api 1.0, and its going to be years before all major browsers start supporting it fully.

I am not even talking about scalability, so what is actually Jobs is hoping on is still not clear, maybe they decided to be Adobe themselves,

maybe come up wit IPhotoSohop, IPremier, IFlex, ooh common, Apple pleas, and wake up.

Because of all that, I dislike Apple, and their whole infrastructure, they follow unhealthy moves to chop off their competitors that actually could benefit their product if they would follow different path.

Iphone is the best? tell me why is it? it has no File system, it has no Flash, No java, no Multithreading, it has only what Apple gives, and ooh I forgot it has the worst sync software I have ever seen Tunes. and don’t even get me started with QuickTime.

you can only develop Iphone apps if you have Apple O.S and oh I forgot you can not install Apple O.S unless you buy Apple hardware from Apple,

what did Microsoft do that is worst than this?

• 33. Re: Keeping Flash off the iPad could hurt, Adobe says
                                                                          daslicht Level 2

!!! warning somehow , offtopic text ahead !!!

short story...

I am a musician and years ago when Appel bought Emagic I switch to MAC, this time the G5 was totally news with Logic 6.

It was praised anywhere to be the best Music System out there.

So I gathered all my saved money to get a G5 and Logic Poo 6 and the troubles started....

There was a BUG in Logic which is called 'Sudden Channel Death issue', where after working for a while, some channels stopped working.

This time I was still blended by the nice looking OSX and its new behaviour.

It was very frustrating. And than I also had this PSU issues with the G5.

Apple exchanged me the G5 3 Times, after that I got a whole new machine.

Meanwhile it was a new revision, but this revision suffered form cheap PSU fans, which got annoying loud and it was awesome hard to exchange them by your own, since the whole CPU complex would have to be removed....

Ahh and btw. the PSU  high frequency emitting issue was still there.

So I had spend alot of money for a non-ergonomic system. But I looked nice.

That was the point where I decided to sell all this computer stuff and bought hardware synthesizer and used a Roland MV8000 Desktop Sampler as main sequencer.

After working for years a friend made me a offer to jump on the Protools HD wagon.

So stupid as I was, I thought that Profools HD is bug free:/ (again under OSX)

In the last month I spent hours posting bug reports to AVID which were all confirmed !

Last but not least I sold my Protools HD rig and switch back to Cubase, now using Windows 7 x64.

I never had a more stable and reliable system than that, except the MV maybe which was/is rock solid...

I am now moving back where I came from to close the cycle (I started with cubase 1.0:, before that FT2 but thats another story)

Today I just set up a W7 development system (all free for students) to replace my Leopard unit.

conclusion:

not anything which looks good is necessarily gold

Have a nice day

Marc

• 34. Re: Keeping Flash off the iPad could hurt, Adobe says
                                                                            David_F57 Level 5

Hi Marc,

I feel your pain, over the years I have witnessed so many of those that converted to mac and after recovering from the financial cost of the exercise reverted back(and several musicians where among the disgruntled), for every story about "never going back i'll stick with mac" there are 10 about why did I get sucked into the Apple hype. Here in Australia Apple are trying to reclaim their old market strangle hold on Education, 1,000's of students have been getting mac notebooks for about $US85, 80% of them had the OS replaced by the schools with Vista(once they see Window 7 I think all the macs will get an OS upgrade), so much for locking a bunch of high school students into Apple control.

From what I see of 12 month old iphones  the quality (at least of the case) is the lowest I have seen in any phone that costs more than $25, I wonder how the ipad will survive, its heavier ( and a screen prone to flexing) and will hit the ground a lot harder than an iphone which people struggle to keep a grip on.

That aside no one seems to mention why iphone OS doesn't multitask( i think this is one reason Jobs doesnt want flashplayer near his flakey OS), my thoughts-performance and battery life will suddenly drop dramatically if the processor is expected to do more than flick an image across the screen.

Adobe would waste their money developing a browser for hardware that will never see more than 1-2% of the global internet browser stats. I mean the Mac peaked at about 5.5% and the iphone peaked at about 0.6% even if ipad hits the internet 4 times more often than an iphone it won't hit 2%.

No flash player on Apple mobile devices wont hurt Adobe, but thanks to Apple Adobe have a great excuse if profits don't meet expectations, they just tell the share holders "blame the draconian idealogy of Apple, we warned you..", what will Steve tell the share holders if ipad or ipad-mini sales don't reach expectations I don't think "google is evil and flash is buggy" will appease anyone. Oh and lets not forget that Droid sales are doing a pretty good job against the iphone, wonder what will happen to ipad when more consumer ready devices like the hp slate hit the market.

David.

• 35. Re: Keeping Flash off the iPad could hurt, Adobe says
                                                                              Johnking08 Level 1

Adobe Preparing to Sue Apple? Company's refusal to utilize Flash could  spur legal action. Check out this:

http://gear.ign.com/articles/108/1083445p1.html

• 36. Re: Keeping Flash off the iPad could hurt, Adobe says
                                                                                Ansury Level 3

Johnking08 wrote:

Adobe Preparing to Sue Apple? Company's refusal to utilize Flash could  spur legal action. Check out this:

http://gear.ign.com/articles/108/1083445p1.html

Called it!  he he 

Honestly though, Apple is not king of anything.  Really, worrying about this is like worrying about your software not running on a Mac.  Yeah it's not ideal, but... meh, it won't bankrupt you.

Apple is/was just the first to market (and marketing) so they've gained an early lead.  Unless government somehow hinders competition (luckily it hasn't seemed to yet) there should be plenty of competition.

Also I'm no expert on the OS/software they're using on the iTampons and such, but I would guess that they're actually handicapped somewhat if they're using a flavor of Apple's OS (no doubt they are).  Don't underestimate the combined sum of all other mobile competitors ready to jump into the market that Apple marketing has basically created.

• 37. Re: Keeping Flash off the iPad could hurt, Adobe says
                                                                                  JeffryHouser Level 4

I don't get it.   What is Apple doing illegal?  I don't think anything.

Ansury wrote:

Apple is/was just the first to market (and marketing) so they've gained an early lead.  Unless government somehow hinders competition (luckily it hasn't seemed to yet) there should be plenty of competition.

I don't believe Apple was the first to market for anything.  They just packaged up a bunch of existing technologies--such as touch screens--and put them together in a nice package.  The app store adds some nice value to the devices.

But, statistically speaking, the iPhone isn't the leading smart phone. Statistically they don't even have the biggest growth since Android is new to the market and went from 0 to something in the past six months.

I haven't the foggiest idea what the legal issues are.

• 38. Re: Keeping Flash off the iPad could hurt, Adobe says
                                                                                    pauland Level 4

Apple may not sell the most, have the most revenue, orhave the best device, but  they have become the leading touch phone brand and the device that everyone else has to follow. They may well have assembled existing technologies, but that can be said of just about anything.

TV is awash with ads from companies offering iPhone applications - I have yet to see one for a competing device.

I'm not sure what legal angle Adobe have found. The only thing I can image is anti-competitive legislation.

• 39. Re: Keeping Flash off the iPad could hurt, Adobe says
                                                                                      JeffryHouser Level 4

I am not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure being anti-competitive is allowed unless you're a monopoly.  Apple is not a monopoly [yet].

1 2 Previous Next