10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2010 11:07 AM by eliteflyers_com

Dollar signs in DW.

Daylilybud

I am preparing html pages with text in DW. The dollar sign does not appear on the insert special character menu even though there is a character entity for it. The character entity does not show up in code view when I enter the dollar sign from the keyboard. Can I go ahead and just enter a dollar sign from the keyboard, or does this cause problems?

• 1. Re: Dollar signs in DW.
          hans-g. Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi,

there is a schema for such numerical notation:

&#[x][number];

$ --> HTML-Code     --> $
          $ --> UNI-Code     --> $

You will find listings with these numbers in Google so too (look for html code and $).

Hans-G.

• 2. Re: Dollar signs in DW.
            John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

No need for special characters. Just enter a $ sign from your keyboard.

• 3. Re: Dollar signs in DW.

Hi,

seems it doesn't work well, just like that. Therefore (but I know, you know it):

These markups allow an international understanding. So a computer is able to "say" worldwide which character you will show. Based on Voltaire: Good is good, but better carries it.

Hans-G.

• 4. Re: Dollar signs in DW.

Hi Hans-G,

Not sure about Voltaire but can you provide a link where dollar signs from the keyboard (not HTML entities) don't show correctly for you?

I'm curious to see why HTML entities might be required. I've never needed to use them.

• 5. Re: Dollar signs in DW.

Hi John,

I qoute:  I've never needed to use them.

So do I, but shouldn't we let him do what he wants if it makes him happy.

Hans-G.

P.S.

BUT, did we solve his problem with our nice discourse and our trip to html programming?

• 6. Re: Dollar signs in DW.

Perhaps you're misinterpreting my replies, Hans-G.

The original question: "Can I go ahead and just enter a dollar sign from the keyboard,..."

The answer is yes. (No symbols or HTML entities are required).

I think the OP just wants to enter $ signs as simply as possible. Shift+4 works fine.

• 7. Re: Dollar signs in DW.
                      David_Powers Adobe Community Professional

hans-g. wrote:

seems it doesn't work well, just like that. Therefore (but I know, you know it):

These markups allow an international understanding.

Sorry, but that's completely incorrect. The dollar sign ($) is accepted in all encodings. It's part of the original ASCII set of 128 characters, which are now used as the first 128 characters of Unicode. Unlike the symbols for the pound sterling and euro, it does not require conversion as an HTML or numeric entity.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Dollar signs in DW.

Hi all,

nice to see how you make every endeavor to me to save labor.

Ok, ok, for someone from the English-DW-World this may be a matter of faith. I unfortunately have, like other Europeans, to mark particularly many of the standard characters, for example: é = é; ü = ü; Ï = Ï; ÿ = ÿ; ë = ë; ß = ß; „ = „; aso.

And so it isn't important for ME to use one command character more or less. But in this case for ME is more important: I'm on the safe side in an "international understanding".

Hans-G.

• 9. Re: Dollar signs in DW.
                          Daylilybud Level 1

Thanks for the information and opinions. I appreciated David Powers' explanation regarding why the dollar sign does not require conversion.

• 10. Re: Dollar signs in DW.
                            eliteflyers_com Level 1

I appreciated David Powers' explanation regarding why the dollar sign  does not require conversion