5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2010 8:37 AM by Harm Millaard

Poor, jerky preview playback on dual monitors

Tofu_68 Level 1

Hi,

I have an ongoing issue with video preview in Premiere CS4. I have a dual screen setup, but when I have the video on the 2nd monitor, the playback is poor quality and jerky (about 5 fps).

It works fine on a one monitor setup....?

Any ideas.help most appreciated.

cheers, Jamie

Windows XP (32bit)

AMD Athlon 64x2 4600

3.2gb ram

ATI Radeon HD 4600

Acer X223HQ x2

• 1. Re: Poor, jerky preview playback on dual monitors
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Not much to go on. Some suggestions... and answer at least the 16 questions at the end of the Wiki article.

Most likely causes are OE, lacking hardware, source material, sequence settimgs, drivers, etc. If you are in for the 50-question thread without tangible results, do not bother to answer the questions. If you want an earlier resolution to your question, answer ALL questions.

Your hardware can be way underpowered for the material you try to edit. That CPU is crap in comparison to todays standards. If you feed it too much (meaning anything more than DV) it will fall flat on it's face.

• 2. Re: Poor, jerky preview playback on dual monitors
            Tofu_68 Level 1

Ok...

PPro CS4 4.21 (En)

DV PAL sequence

OS WinXP SP3 (En)

1920x1080 dual monitors

AMD64x2 4600

4gb DDR2 ram

ATI Radeon 4600 HD (driver ver. 8.702.0.0)

2xAcer X223hq monitors

Audio onboard SoundMax AD1986A (driver ver ATI function driver for HD audio 5.0.40001.9)

Nvidia nForce 430/410 SATA (driver ver: 5.10.2600.650)

System drive: 300gb sata (201gb free)

Video drive: 1TB sata (175gb free)

My problem is this, with I select a dual screen set up and the playback is jerky and low quality. The quality is set 'Automatic'

• 3. Re: Poor, jerky preview playback on dual monitors
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Start with updating your video driver. The curernt version is 8.712

Next try setting your preview to high quality instead of automatic and your program monitor to fit.

If none of these suggestions work, post a screen shot from Process Explorer. Look here: Sysinternal Utilities

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Poor, jerky preview playback on dual monitors
                Tofu_68 Level 1

Actually my GFX card is an MSI ATI HD 4650 D512 - I had noticed that some system information software was stating it had 1gb of memory. I tried to install latest ATI drivers but it was problematic... I finally resorted to the MSI driver from their site, and after meticulously uninstalling past drivers the MSI drivers worked and the video plays much better now.

I've been trying to sort this problem out for a month or two... and I'm fairly sure it started when I installed the ATI 10.2 drivers. Perhaps it mistakenly sees my card as the 1gb version...

Thanks for steering me in the right direction Harm.

As my system is fresh in you mind, would recommend upgrading to a 64bit OS?

thanks again,

jamie

• 5. Re: Poor, jerky preview playback on dual monitors
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Jamie,

Upgrading to a 64 bit OS now makes no sense at all, because you only have 4 GB memory. If anything, get a new 1 TB disk, because your current one is so full, it slows down significantly. You can then move them to a new system, which must come anyway, since your CPU is a major bottleneck.

The current release from ATI is 10.3. Look here: http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=xp/radeonx-xp

1 person found this helpful