5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2010 7:51 AM by the_wine_snob

Crashing on ATi DX 11 graphics card

Aeoringas

I used to use Adobe Premiere Elements 7. I was happy with it, no issues with crashing of any kind. Then one day I decided to upgrade to 8 thinking that it would be an improved product. Oh dear. It would appear that this was a very bad move on my part. For it is clearly self evident that Adobe have elected to employ retarded monkeys to develop the latest iteration in its APE series. I have spent the best part of a day trying to render 9 minutes, NINE MEASILY MINUTES of video, only to find APE8 imploding after 2-20% completion of rendering. Here are my specs, before you bleat on about this:

CPU: Intel Dual Core 2 Extreme

GPU: ATi Radeon 8570 1Gb DX 11 graphics card

Storage: 2 TB of HDD space

RAM: 4 GB of DDR3 RAM running at 1600 Mhz

Screens: 2, 22" and 17" Samsung flat screen montiors. 22" one is the primary screen.

Thus far I have submitted 12 reports after every crash. Initially they were quite informative, explaining what I was doing at the time of the crash. The last one had me hurl foul abuse at the developers and demanding  that they and their consorts die horribly in a fire. Childish and irrisponsible? Oh yes. Did it make me feel any better? Yes it did.

I have updated my graphics drivers and tried changing the display settings, all to no avail. I can't shut off Hardware acceleration and the ATi drivers won't allow you to do that in Windows 7.

So my question to you all fine folk on these forums is this: Who do I have to kill to get this poxy piece of software to actually work as advertised?

• 1. Re: Crashing on ATi DX 11 graphics card
          nealeh Level 5

Basics first. You should install:

• all windows updates.
          • PRE8 8.0.1 patch.
          • latest QuickTime 7.6.6.
          • latest graphics drivers (from manufacturers web site).
          • latest sound card drivers (from manufacturers web site).

Then tell us more about your video clip(s).

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

Feel free to rant at Adobe, but as this is a user to user forum they won't hear. You will need to click the Contact button at the top of this page.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Crashing on ATi DX 11 graphics card
            Aeoringas Level 1

I'm not about to change anything on my PC to get this piece of junk to work. I didn't need to in order for APE 7.0 to function and I'm sure as hell not going to move heaven and earth for its younger sibling.

I have done all you have asked and the video is actually captured footage from a Intensity Black Magic HDMI capture card, which are notoriously abysmal, I know. Nevertheless, this set up worked fine with APE7, so I may return to that and re-edit the video as I have lost my patience with 8.0.1 (which I have also installed, along with QT 7.6.6). Oh and yes I did install the latest drivers, as I explained in the OP. I just need someone with a similar set up to explain how they got the app to work so that I can use the work around they are exploiting.

• 3. Re: Crashing on ATi DX 11 graphics card
              nealeh Level 5

You should probably go for the Adobe 30 day refund.

If I understand their web site correctly the Black Magic capture card captures uncompressed video. PRE works best with DV-AVI for Standard Definition and HDV for High Def. AVCHD is supported, but needs a well specified Quad Core or better system. Working with uncompressed footage is beyond the scope of PRE. Also you only have one Hard Disk - PRE works better with two, and ideally three, fast internal disks.

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Crashing on ATi DX 11 graphics card
                Aeoringas Level 1

Thanks for the responses nealeh, they are most appreciated.

I actually have 3 disks, the total space about is how much space I have, not the number of disks. Oh and the footage is compressed. Also, as I explained before, the exact same set up worked fine on PRE 7 so why doesn't with work on 8?

• 5. Re: Crashing on ATi DX 11 graphics card
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  I'm not about to change anything on my PC to get this piece of junk to work.

Then I think that Neale's suggestion to send the software back for the a refund is the only course of action. Just do this before the 30 day period expires.

Good luck,

Hunt