6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2010 7:12 PM by fuaho

Where are the *.ini files located?

fuaho Level 1

I remember a discussion about deleting some of the *.ini files (or whatever they are called) but I can't find the link, don't remember the filenames and can't find their location.

I'm having the same problem with Media Encoder where it only goes partway through an encode and then returns an error message. The last time I experienced that, I deleted the startup files and things worked fine. I think that there was a link from Dennis Draeke about some config files and their location.

All help gratefully accepted!

TIA,

• 1. Re: Where are the *.ini files located?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Are you talking about the Preferences files?

Hunt

• 2. Re: Where are the *.ini files located?
            fuaho Level 1

I believe that's what they are called. I haven't looked for them for months.

What's their extension and location?

THX,

• 3. Re: Where are the *.ini files located?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

For PrPro 2.0 in my setup, this file is "Adobe Premiere Pro Prefs" with no extension. Mine is located in C:\Documents & Settings\[Username]\Application Data\Adobe\Premiere Pro\2.0\.

Hope that helps. Seems that the keystroke is to hold down Ctrl, while launching PrPro (the keystroke differs Adobe program to program), to reset the Prefs to default. Check out my memory on the Ctrl-key though.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Where are the *.ini files located?
                fuaho Level 1

Bill,

Once you jogged my memory that they were called "Preferences" files, I was also able to find this:

"On Vista do this:

Navigate to C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Premiere Pro\4.0 and delete (or drag to Desktop) the entire 4.0 folder. It will get rebuilt on the next PPro CS4 launch.

On XP do this:

Navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Adobe\Premiere Pro\4.0 and delete (or drag to Desktop) the entire 4.0 folder."

I'm off to give it a try.

Thanks for your assistance!!! 

• 5. Re: Where are the *.ini files located?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Great, and glad that you found the manual method. I do believe that there is an "auto" method, as well, but have to admit that I get the various keystrokes confused. Also, getting the keystroke to work during launch can be a tad tricky, especially in Photoshop, where you have multiple keys to push. The manual method works in about all Adobe programs.

Thanks for posting that, and good luck,

Hunt

• 6. The offending files...
                    fuaho Level 1

After experiencing the situation where a codec (LEAD MJPG) that had worked previously suddenly would not export through AME again, I tracked down the preferences files as outlined above and removed the following files:

Adobe Premiere Pro Prefs,

Adobe Premiere Pro Prefs~2

AMEPrefs.xml

And once again I could export with any codec settings I chose with no problems.

I'm working with 1280x720, 30P, square pixels, 44.1kHz, 16-bit stereo material.

When not working, the encode would proceed about 1/2- to 2/3 of the way through and then stop and return the message:

- Preset Used: 1280x720P TX-1 Settings - LEAD Codec
                    - Video: 1280x720, 30 [fps], Progressive, Quality 90
                    - Audio: 44100 Hz, Stereo, 16 bit
                    - Bitrate:
                    - Encoding Time: 00:15:27
                    4/10/2010 2:56:50 PM : Encoding Failed
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ -----------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Error compiling movie.

Codec compression error.

This codec may be unable to support the requested frame size, or there may be a hardware or memory problem.

After removing those three files, encoding would finish properly and return the message:

- Preset Used: 1280x720P TX-1 Settings - LEAD Codec
                    - Video: 1280x720, 30 [fps], Progressive, Quality 90
                    - Audio: 44100 Hz, Stereo, 16 bit
                    - Bitrate:
                    - Encoding Time: 00:03:09
                    4/11/2010 1:39:31 PM : File Successfully Encoded

4/11/2010 1:39:31 PM : Queue Stopped

Thought I'd post the results in case it might help help someone solve a problem.