13 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2010 8:16 AM by JETalmage-71mYin

Can't see fill or stroke even with color activated

Oneirophobic Level 1

This is a newbie question, but for the life of me I can't figure out what's going on. At some point while I was working on an Illustrator CS2 file, I  accidentally moved or misclicked on an object, and then its fill and  stroke disappeared. In the tool panel, fill and stroke are still  activated and are still the same color they were before, I just can't  see them on the actual image. I can only see the path. Other objects are  still visible, and I've been trying to compare their attributes with  those of the invisible object, but I haven't been able to figure out the  difference.

Any help would be appreciated!

• 1. Re: Can't see fill or stroke even with color activated
          Scott Falkner Level 5

Command Y (Mac) or Control-Y (Windows).

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can't see fill or stroke even with color activated
            Oneirophobic Level 1

It's not an outline mode issue, as other objects still look normal. The ones without stroke or fill are not visible unless selected, as though it's only a path. They have no outline whatsoever.

• 3. Re: Can't see fill or stroke even with color activated
              Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Funny this just came u in another thread. You command clicked on the visibility eye in the Layers panel for that layer if you look the layer associated with those objects has an eye that is outline command or control click on the eye to get it out of outline mode.

You probably have never used it but if you recall it is possible to outline the objects on one layer at a time.

this is not going to bring the document into outline mode just the layer(s) whose visibility eye you have command clicked on.

Just look at the layers panel and command click on any eye that looks outline.

I use to use this feature all the time.

• 4. Re: Can't see fill or stroke even with color activated
                Oneirophobic Level 1

Okay, I see what you mean, as I tried control clicking on the visibility eye and was able to see the difference between

the regular eye icon and the outline eye icon. However, I don't think this is it, because all of the eyes all the way down the hierarchy are solid and control clicking on the eye for the invisible objects doesn't do anything other than deselecting them. I can't even see the outline for these compound objects, just the path when they are selected.

• 5. Re: Can't see fill or stroke even with color activated
                  Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Are you on a Mac or PC on a Mac it is command click on a pc control click.

Perhaps it is on a sublayer, do you have sublayers?

I don't think there is another explanation unless you have done something with an effect that is causing it to look this way. Do you have any effects associated with the objects?

• 6. Re: Can't see fill or stroke even with color activated
                    Oneirophobic Level 1

Yeah, I'm using a PC, so control clicking was the right thing to do. I do have sublayers, and the one containing the shapes in question has been labeled automatically as "Compound Shape" and contains a lot of sublayers of its own. I've clicked down as far as I can go with the sublayers under that first sublayer and all have the solid eye. I don't think I have any effects applied. For this project, I've just been using the pen tool and the pathfinder buttons to knock out shapes. I haven't touched anything else, really. I'm thinking it's got to be some kind of viewing problem because I couldn't ctrl + z it when it happened, but like I said, I only have solid eyes. Here's what it looks like, if that helps any.

• 7. Re: Can't see fill or stroke even with color activated
                      Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

The compound path has an effect on it that is why the bullet looks that way it could be a stroke of none I think you used the pathfinder on it and this is the result.

I would see what happens if you release the compound path.

BTW this information was important to know from the beginning are you telling us everything?

• 8. Re: Can't see fill or stroke even with color activated
                        Oneirophobic Level 1

Sorry, I'm enough of a newb that I honestly didn't know I was witholding information...I provided everything I could think of to describe my situation.

Okay, so now I've selected the invisible objects and gone Object > Compound Path, but the "Release" option is grayed out. Does that mean it can't be the problem, or am I going about it the wrong way?

I do appreicate your patience, by the way. Thank you. This has been giving me a headache.

• 9. Re: Can't see fill or stroke even with color activated
                          Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

My mistake I did not look close enough it is a compound shape not a compound path. so that would not work.

Go to the appearance panel while it is selected and add a new stroke make sure the stroke is black or any other color other than none or registration.

That should give you back your stroke.

Let me change this a little go to the Pathfinder Panel select the Compound Shape from the flyout menu of the pathfinder panel select Release Compound shape. Now select the group go to the appearance panel if the stroke did not return and add a new stroke.

That should do it.

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Can't see fill or stroke even with color activated
                            JETalmage-71mYin Level 3

Phobic,

In your Layers screenshot, I count Compound Shapes nested fifteen levels deep. That is an absolutely ridiculous construct, and it is no wonder you are having display problems.

Select the topmost Compound Shape listed in the Layers palette. Release Compound Shape. Repeat this until you have no more Compound Shapes. Then stay away from the Pathfinder palette until you understand it. (See online Help.) You don't need it for the simply line art you are drawing, based on the screenshot.

Realize: The Layers palette lists every object in the document. So not everything listed there is a Layer or a SubLayer. Those items titled Compound Shapes are not Layers; they're objects.

For the kind of artwork you are trying to draw, first get your head around ordinary Compound Paths. When you have to use one closed path to punch a hole in another, use the Object>Compound Path>Make command, not the Pathfinder palette. Compound Paths are basic constructs common across all vector drawing programs. That top row of icons in the Pathfinder palette create compound paths applied as a "live effect"--an Illustrator-specific construct, and one that will just confuse you until you understand the basics of compound paths.

Understand that each subpath of a compound path has its own winding direction. The winding direction, together with the winding rule, determine whether the subpath "punches" or creates a void in the surrounding subpath. Illustrator does a poorer job of automatically handling those settings than other programs, so you often have to change the direction of direct-selected subpaths. Those settings are in the Attributes palette.

JET

• 11. Re: Can't see fill or stroke even with color activated
                              Oneirophobic Level 1

Thanks, this did the trick. I appreciate the advice, also. This was me practicing off a tutorial, so I was pretty much screwed for figuring it out when things went haywire.

• 12. Re: Can't see fill or stroke even with color activated
                                JETalmage-71mYin Level 3
                                This was me practicing off a tutorial...

The most expedient way to really learn a graphics program like Illustrator is to first just go through the provided documention, in linear fashion, from front to back. As you go, perform any operations described that you aren't confident you fully understand.

Yes, it's boring. But overall it will be the shortest route. "Tutorials" are usually "clever" tips & tricks that leave out details and/or assume you understand basics upon which the subject depends.

Don't try to shortcut learning a program like Illustrator. It will just leave you with gaps in your understanding that will haunt you forevermore.

JET

• 13. Re: Can't see fill or stroke even with color activated
                                  shunithD Level 3

JETalmage wrote:

The most expedient way to really learn a graphics program like Illustrator is to first just go through the provided documention, in linear fashion, from front to back. As you go, perform any operations described that you aren't confident you fully understand.

Sound advice... very, very sound indeed.