5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2010 5:35 AM by InSanelyMe

Help!  Need to open a pagemaker 4.2 publication!

tvrana

I have an old Mac that I have not used in years. On it is a publication, created in Pagemaker 4.2, that won't open, the mac itself is damaged. I've been able to retrieve the file, which I REALLY need, but now can't open it on my new mac. I've tried downloading pagemaker 7.0 and 7.0 won't open, saying it is either unsupported or damaged. Has anyone had any luck opening an old 4.2 publication?

• 1. Re: Help!  Need to open a pagemaker 4.2 publication!
          BigJohnD Level 3

Calm down.

Are you saying the PM4 file won't open with PM7 or PM7 trial won't install?

Which version of PM do you have that is working OK, and which Mac OS have you got?

• 2. Re: Help!  Need to open a pagemaker 4.2 publication!
            tvrana Level 1

PM 7 trial won't install, error message says unsupported or corrupted, MAC OS X 10.4.11, and I don't have any version of PM on my current Mac

And I am calm, or I would have said "@#$%!  A PUBLICATION THAT TOOK ME MONTHS TO CREATE MIGHT FINALLY BE NEEDED AND I CAN"T OPEN IT ", but I didn't....

• 3. Re: Help!  Need to open a pagemaker 4.2 publication!
              BigJohnD Level 3

We need a Mac expert to clarify which Mac OS will run PM…

Buko wrote:

Just an FYI for PM users who want to upgrade to Leopard (10.5 ).
              Leopard does not support Classic even if you are running it on a Power PC machine. Since Classic will not run on the Mactels Apple has decided to remove the classic environment from OS 10.5, if you must run PM or any other Classic applications either stick with 10.4.10 or buy a cheap old Mac that will boot up OS 9.2.2.
              • 4. Re: Help!  Need to open a pagemaker 4.2 publication!
                Tony Morse Level 1

Pagemaker only runs in OS9, not OSX. I have heard of varying degrees of success in running it in Classic (the OS9 emulator for OSX).

Classic stopped shipping with new Macs after v10.3. If you upgraded from 10.3 to 10.4 without doing a clean install, you should still have classic on there, but new Macs shipped with 10.4 will not have Classic. Classic does not work at all in 10.5 upward, and will not work on any Intel-based Mac.

• 5. Re: Help!  Need to open a pagemaker 4.2 publication!
                  InSanelyMe Level 1

Hi tvrana,

I hope by now your problem with converting Mac PageMaker 4.2 files is resolved. But if it isn't and if I remember correctly, (that was a looong time ago) PageMaker 5.0 is what you will need to convert the 4.2 files. It has a conversion utility that will open the older PageMaker files. The same solution was true with PM 3 to PM 4 conversion.  If you don't have PageMaker 5, you might look on eBay for a copy. If all else fails I think a friend of mine might still have a copy of PM5 and will convert it for you. (remember that is IF he still has it) If you need to e-mail the file, send to chuck@graphic-concepts.com. I have PM7 even though I don't use it, (prefer version 6) but I'll install it and make the final conversions from PM5 to PM6 to PM7.

Best of luck in your endeavor.

Regards,

Chuck