16 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2010 4:15 PM by nealeh

AVI File Captured in Premiere Elements 8 Only Plays First Few Minutes

toppops

Hello folks,

I'm totally new to this.  My problem: I've recently installed Premiere Elements 8 and used it to capture some mini DV video tapes (via firewire), without any significant problems (other than a few freezes).  Now I've tried to capture some VHSC tapes via my TV card (Avermedia H727). The capture process went well (except that the preview screen was just a fuzzy mess!) but I had to plug the audio inputs into my sound card (onboard) rather than the TV card.

The caputred files are about 6 + Gb for a 30 minute tape but when playing the captured video back in PrE8 only the first few minutes is available (the length of playback seems to vary unpredictably (1 tape allowed 3 minutes of playback, another a bit less).   The full avi files can be played back in Roxio or Windows Media Player etc but not PrE8.

Interestingly, videos captured from VHSC via the same TV card in Roxio 2010 Pro will play back correctly and fully in PrE8.   I had to switch audio inputs to the TV card (rather than the soundcard) for the audio to be captured with Roxio.

My son has tried to help me with this (having some experience on PrE2) but he's also drawn a blank with this.

I'd be very grateful for any help that you might be able to give as I've not found anything in FAQ although it's not easy to succintly define my search for this problem.

Many thanks

Computer spec:

OS     Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

CPU     Intel i7 2.8GHz

RAM     4Gb DDR3

MB     Asus P7P55D Deluxe

HDD     2x Sata II Western Digital 1.5Tb (each)

Graphics     ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 series

All updates for Windows 7 and PrE8 installed

• 1. Re: AVI File Captured in Premiere Elements 8 Only Plays First Few Minutes
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is aimed at Premiere Pro, but may help
          A link with many ideas about computer setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/436215?tstart=0

Work through all of the steps (ideas) listed at http://ppro.wikia.com/wiki/Troubleshooting

If your problem isn't fixed after you follow all of the steps, report back with the DETAILS asked for in the FINALLY section, the questions at the end of the troubleshooting link... most especially the codec used... see Question 1

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: AVI File Captured in Premiere Elements 8 Only Plays First Few Minutes
            the_wine_snob Level 9

If your destination HDD is formatted as NTSF, instead of FAT-32, this is likely an issue with your TV card, and its capture software.

If Roxio will capture the CVHS tapes via that card, I would just use it and capture to DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV. Then Import those captured files into PrE for editing.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: AVI File Captured in Premiere Elements 8 Only Plays First Few Minutes
              the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE might give you some useful tips.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: AVI File Captured in Premiere Elements 8 Only Plays First Few Minutes
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The biggest issue is that your TV card doesn't capture your video as DV-AVI. It is likely AVI of another flavor (e.g., MJPEG-AVI).

The FAQs to the right of this forum offer information on DV bridges that will work with Premiere Elements.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/431853?tstart=0

• 5. Re: AVI File Captured in Premiere Elements 8 Only Plays First Few Minutes
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

I just added that FAQ link to the article on Analog Capture. I went looking for it, but just did not see it, until I had posted. Guess that is what I get for trying to work in the fora, and watch The Masters!

Thanks,

Hunt

• 6. Re: AVI File Captured in Premiere Elements 8 Only Plays First Few Minutes
                    toppops Level 1

Thanks John:

My PC has 2 HDDs and both are of the “green” variety.  Both are partitioned (2 partitions on each HDD) with operating systems on the first partition (Windows 7 Pro 64 bit on one and Windows XP Pro -32 bit on the other, the operating systems are on different physical drives).

The tips relating to PrPro are hard to follow as they are quite technical and I’m not even sure which ones also relate to PrE8.   It would take me an age to try to wade through this lot.

My point is that my current setup (for all its imperfections) will capture video (via the TV card) using PrE8 as the capture software.  The setup must be adequate for this task as the complete avi file is played back correctly on Roxio and Windows Media Player but PrE8 fails to recognise any video after the first 3 minutes (approx).

If I capture to PrE8 using a firewire connection from my mini DV video camera then the capture proceeds normally (apart from odd freezes) and the captured video is all playable in PrE8.

When capturing using the mini DV camera, I select "DV camcorder" in the “Get Media” menu. However, this only supports Firewire or USB sources.   When capturing from the VHSC tapes via the TV card I have to select “Webcam or WDM Device” as the media source (I’m not convinced that this is the most suitable capture mode but it’s the only one I can find that doesn’t look for either a firewire or USB device.

It seems as though PrE8 must be putting some code onto the captured video that prevents more of it from playing back because avi files recorded on Roxio will playback fully.   I've tried to copy the PrE8 avi files into a different folder (devoid of any PrE8 project files) and then renaming the file before importing into PrE8 but still only the first few minutes will play.   My thinking here was that perhaps one of the other associated project files that PrE8 creates might be the source of the corrupt info.

Many thanks for your interest and taking the trouble to respond.

• 7. Re: AVI File Captured in Premiere Elements 8 Only Plays First Few Minutes
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Partitions and "green drives," are just not good for video editing and video playback.

Partitions are left over from about Win98, and are not needed, as all current OS's can see large HDD's. Partitions really get in the way with regards to reads/writes, as the OS thinks that it is dealing with 2 (or more) physical HDD's, and it is not. The heads can only be in one place at the same time. Partitions also cause the HDD to work harder, and hence life is shortened.

The "green drives" get their designation by really not spinning as fast as listed, and saving KW hours, at the expense of playback.

Sorry for the bad news,

Hunt

• 8. Re: AVI File Captured in Premiere Elements 8 Only Plays First Few Minutes
                        toppops Level 1

Thanks Bill,

I'm beginning to think along the same lines - to capture with Roxio and then edit in PrE8.  It's a bit galling to think that I can't use the software for its intended purpose though.

Both my HDDs are formatted as NTFS. My recent reply to John gives a few more details about my computer setup so I won't repeat again here.

The capture software that came with the TV card will only allow for recording in MPEG2 (so far as I can see) so I've not been using that.   I literally only use the capture card as an interface to get my VHSC videos onto the PC.

So far I've only got as far as trying to capture videos, not got down to the pleasures and trials of editing and burning!

Many thanks.

• 9. Re: AVI File Captured in Premiere Elements 8 Only Plays First Few Minutes
                          toppops Level 1

Thanks for the reply Steve,

I don't use the software that came with the TV card for capturing, that only seems to use MPEG2.  The files that I've been saving are DV avi, I've managed to check this out on Gspot. See attached report. I can't pretend to understand the full report but it looks like it's recorded in DV 2 AVI.   A similar report is created when I record with Roxio. Also not sure why there are such a large number of uneeded bytes at the end of the file - is this a usual finding?

Gspot Report 1.jpg

If I can record in Dv avi from my TV card is there likely to be any real benefit from switching to one of the bridge devices that you mention?

Thanks once again.

• 10. Re: AVI File Captured in Premiere Elements 8 Only Plays First Few Minutes
                            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you can capture as DV-AVI, it might work!

The test is to open a Premiere Elements project (using the standard DV settings) and import one of those DV-AVIs into it. If, when you place the clip on the timeline, there is no red line above it, the clips will work perfectly!

• 11. Re: AVI File Captured in Premiere Elements 8 Only Plays First Few Minutes
                              toppops Level 1

Thanks for the bad news!

I'm afraid that I'm going to have to stick with the "green" drives for now.   I might just convince myself to re-install everything to single partitions but it's too big a hassle to undertake lightly.  I think that I'd have to encounter additional issues with PrE8 before I convince myself to concede that you were right all along!   Maybe when I get to the editing, rendering, burning etc, that might be when I really get fed up??

Don't mean to sound ungrateful but I am only interested in this as a hobby, just trying to make backups of old videos from when the kids were younger. The Roxio work round doesn't sound too bad at present and I've still a lot to learn about this caper.   I suspect that the biggest cause of slow-running in all my projects will be far removed from HDDs (partitoned or otherwise) and more to do with malfunctioning neurones between my ears!!

Regards.

• 12. Re: AVI File Captured in Premiere Elements 8 Only Plays First Few Minutes
                                nealeh Level 5

Are you able to set audio settings during capture? Your GSpot output shows 44100 MHz, but PRE likes 48,000MHz (16-bit) audio.

Cheers,
                                --
                                Neale
                                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 13. Re: AVI File Captured in Premiere Elements 8 Only Plays First Few Minutes
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, ideally the 48KHz 16-bit would be the best, if possible. However, the 44.1KHz (the Sample Rate for music CD's) should be Conformed easily by PrE. Still, the less processing overhead that one eliminate, always the better.

Hunt

• 14. Re: AVI File Captured in Premiere Elements 8 Only Plays First Few Minutes
                                    toppops Level 1

Thanks Neale,

Not sure why this is.   I've just reviewed the Project Settings\General tab in PrE8 and the only available setting seems to be 48,000.   So far as I'm aware I've not altered this setting and looking at it now it doesn't seem as though it's possible to alter it.   Maybe it's a default property of the TV card?

Ought I to be able to alter the sampling rate in PrE8?

Regards

• 15. Re: AVI File Captured in Premiere Elements 8 Only Plays First Few Minutes
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

With 44.1KHz, 16-bit, there should not be an issue, as that is one of the common Sample Rates that PrE can work with. You will still have Conforming, as the file will be changed to 32-bit floating point for editing.

If, for some odd reason, PrE does have an issue, you can use the free audio-editor, Audacity to convert the Audio to 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: AVI File Captured in Premiere Elements 8 Only Plays First Few Minutes
                                        nealeh Level 5

I use PRE7 and the sample rate is fixed at 48,000 Hz.

Cheers,
                                        --
                                        Neale
                                        Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children