18 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2010 5:17 PM by Tai Lao

cursor has see through rectangle attached

aitchB

I've only recently got CS4 and was working in the standard RAW window and I clicked on the 'snapshot' icon and my cursor has now got a black see through rectangle attached to it and I can't seem to get rid of it, or find out where it came from?  Can anyone help please.

helen

• 1. Re: cursor has see through rectangle attached
          Jeff Schewe Level 5

Some basic troubleshooting info would help...

What OS, what version...confirm you are using the most recent version of Camera Raw (5.6 for CS4 unless you want the release candidate which is 5.7). If you are Windows, have you updated your video card drivers (this is what it sounds like)?

• 2. Re: cursor has see through rectangle attached
            aitchB Level 1

I'm using a Mac, so no cursor changes available and a brand new copy of CS4 5.6.  The rectangle is totally see through and seems to do nothing, but get in the way.

helen

• 3. Re: cursor has see through rectangle attached
              Jeff Schewe Level 5

And you still haven't bothered to indicate exactly what OS you are running and whether or not you are running 11.0.0 or 11.0.1...so again, you are asking for help in a manner that makes it very difficult to actually help you...

• 4. Re: cursor has see through rectangle attached
                aitchB Level 1

I'm sorry, my Mac OSX system is verstion 10.5.8.

• 5. Re: cursor has see through rectangle attached
                  Level 4

aitchB wrote:

I'm sorry, my Mac OSX system is verstion 10.5.8.

Please note that you still have not specified whether you have applied the Photoshop 11.0.1 update or not.  Mr. Schewe asked you that in post number 3.

Additionally, please tell us if you have tried disabling OpenGL and what else you might have tried, such as trashing your preferences, rebooting your machine, Repairing Permissions with Apple's Disk Utility, etc.

• 6. Re: cursor has see through rectangle attached
                    aitchB Level 1

I have tried rebooting the machine, but I don't know what Open GL is 

and I am working on a fully updated (legal) copy of photoshop, brand 

new, only bought it three weeks ago.

Haven't dared to try and repair permissions with Utility disc as 

actually don't know how.  Sorry, I'm a bit blonde at the minute.

kindest

helen

• 7. Re: cursor has see through rectangle attached
                      aitchB Level 1

PS:  I have trashed my photoshop preferences tho'....  but since I 

only changed two preferences, I can't see it being that.

sorry if I'm being a pain.

helen

• 8. Re: cursor has see through rectangle attached
                        aitchB Level 1

Okay, I'm learning.  I googled 'OpenGL' and found it in PS preferences.  I disabled and re-started and it didn't fix the problem.

helen

• 9. Re: cursor has see through rectangle attached
                          aitchB Level 1

Next: I've googled how to use Apple disc utility, and found a suggestion to try opening up in 'safe' mode.  That's a new one for me, so I dutifully pressed the shift key and opened up.  It took ages (about 6 minutes), blue screen and normal pointer, but not for long, as along came the wretched picture frame.  Re-booted machine, and got just the cursor again for a few seconds whilst the icons played bounce...  interestingly, the picture frame turned up just as "Bridge' opened, does that mean anything?

Oh I notice that when I go to close the machine down, the cursor is in front of the object and the rectangle see through picture frame is sent to the back, behind the object.

I'm sorry I don't speak 'geek', I have to speak in 'woman'.... hope you don't mind.

helen

• 10. Re: cursor has see through rectangle attached
                            Level 4

Sorry, Helen.  Forgive me for not taking your word for your "fully updated" version of Photoshop.  Many posters have been wrong about that.  Please confirm that you are indeed running Photoshop 11.0.1.

Also confirm that you have already tried trashing your preferences by holding down Command+Option+Shift as you launch Photoshop and checking the boxes in the dialog box that appears.

Finally, please create a fresh, new test account on your Mac and see if the problem goes away then.

It would also help if you post a screenshot of your mystery rectangle.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

1 person found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: cursor has see through rectangle attached
                              aitchB Level 1

Thank you for sticking with this,  I can confirm that I have Photoshop 

11.0.1 and have tried trashing preferences.  I will try and create a 

fresh test account later today.

I've attached a screen shot of the pesky rectangle, however the cursor 

doesn't copy in screen shot mode and I'm not sure how to make that 

visible.  I've popped some words at the top of a blank document so 

that you can see how large the triangle actually is.

Thank you

helen

• 13. Re: cursor has see through rectangle attached
                                aitchB Level 1

This gives a better idea of the size and 'see through' nature of the thing...

screen.jpg

• 14. Re: cursor has see through rectangle attached
                                  aitchB Level 1

Hi,

I made another account and hey presto, no pesky rectangle.

So, do you suggest I should try and fix this through the mac disc.  I'm sort of convinced that it's 'Bridge' that's causing this, but that's only an intuition thing?

Any ideas?

helen

• 15. Re: cursor has see through rectangle attached
                                    aitchB Level 1

Okay,

I tried to open photoshop from the 'other' account that I created and I got this message.  I'm not sure what it means I'm afraid, perhaps the answer to my problem is contained within? 

helen

pastedGraphic.jpg

• 16. Re: cursor has see through rectangle attached
                                      Level 4

Helen,

Please don't kill the messenger for the bad news he brings. 

The fact that the rectangle appears while you are in your web browser too indicates this is NOT a Photoshop, Camera Raw or Bridge issue.

The fact that the problem went away in a new account rules out hardware malfunctions as the cause of your issue.

The bottom line is that you have some serious software corruption in your regular account.

You could spend weeks troubleshooting this, or you could spend 45 minutes to one hour doing an Archive and Install of your OS.  An even more thorough approach would be to back up all your data, wipe your entire HD, write it to zeros, install a fresh copy of the OS and update it with the combo updater to the current version.

Then install your applications from the original media and restore your data.

• 17. Re: cursor has see through rectangle attached
                                        aitchB Level 1

Hi Tai,

Thanks for this.  I sort of realised myself that I'd have to do a re-

install.  I'm a bit nervous about doing that to be honest.  I do have 

Time Machine and a back up hard drive, so re-installing wouldn't be a 

major problem.  The blonde question is: if I do the re-install and 

then back up with Time Machine, won't I be re-installing the problem?

Thank you tho' for sticking with the problem, it's much appreciated.

• 18. Re: cursor has see through rectangle attached
                                          Level 4

aitchB wrote:

…question is: if I do the re-install and

then back up with Time Machine, won't I be re-installing the problem?

Most likely so.

That's why I suggested:

An even more thorough approach would be to back up all your data, wipe your entire HD, write it to zeros, install a fresh copy of the OS and update it with the combo updater to the current version.

Then install your applications from the original media and restore your data.

I know, it's a major pain. 

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了