11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2010 6:57 AM by TradeWind
      • 1. Re: CS5 Website Info Now Active
        Curt Wrigley Level 4

Well, it is technically the 12th now on the east coast.

• 2. Re: CS5 Website Info Now Active
          shooternz Level 6

It looks to be an awesome version.

I sincerely hope it lives up to the high expectations I have of it.

I am very excited.

I just wanted to add:

I am just finishing another project (three TVCs)  for a new client, and CS4 was absolutely flawless.  The creative team were blown away with it.(and me of course)

The project moves onto a 3d animator (first time I have worked with him) and he was amazed by what I was giving him and how it was produced.

(PPRO, AEFX, Photoshop)

If CS5 moves me ahead 10%...I will be well pleased.

• 4. Re: CS5 Website Info Now Active
            tclark513 Level 3

Doesn't seem to be very many new features but the MPE sure does sound great!  I would like to see the list of added user requested enhancements mentioned on the info page.  I did notice HDV scene detect as one of them.

• 5. Re: CS5 Website Info Now Active
              Lifted Logic

looking forward to cs5

• 6. Re: CS5 Website Info Now Active
                Harm Millaard Level 7

HDV Scene detection is indeed available, but also Ultra is back.

• 7. Re: CS5 Website Info Now Active
                  Taverino Level 2

Any sign of being able to preview on the computer monitor during HDV tape capture?

• 8. Re: CS5 Website Info Now Active
                    TradeWind Level 3

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/features/

That page has virtually every meaningful feature for Premiere Pro listed. You can see which ones are "New" (never before available) or "Enhanced" (previously available feature, but changed/modified/improved in some way).

The short list of nice updates:

• MPE (obviously)
                    • Export Frame button
                    • Extend Edit shortcut
                    • Field display settings
                    • Ultra keyer
                    • Playback display settings
                    • Enhanced playback controls for Encore Flash DVDs
                    • Encore transcoding in AME (finally everything in one place, sheesh!)

Features I'm witholding praise for until I see how it works:

• Tapless cameras in OnLocation
                    • CS Live (it even says PPro won't have access until later in 2010)
                    • Face detection

Honestly, the most screwball update of all seems to be OnLocation's utillity for tapeless cameras. Nowhere does it seem to indicate that I can use my non-FireWire (non-DV) cameras in the same way as the DV cameras. The main thing I want to do with OnLocation is use the tools to check my image, capture onto my HDD (no transferring) and ...well, use it just like I used to use my DV camera. Who knows, I just cannot tell from the way the "new" feature is described exactly how it all will work. I just think that if you could do it the way I described, it would be more obvious in the write up. Instead, it talks about how easy it will be to make clips in OnLocation then record on your camera and then import your clips to OnLocation so everything matches up. Right...we'll just test it out and see.

June 30th according to Amazon.

I will also add that having 3D extrusion available in Photoshop will be very nice. I'm sure Zaxwerks is PO'd.

• 9. Re: CS5 Website Info Now Active
                      TradeWind Level 3

Ah, one thing I was hoping for that that seems not to have happened is some better integration between Soundbooth and PPro. It would be nice if the multitrack audio could be DL'd between the two apps. As it stands, Soundbooth still seems to be somewhat underwhelming and overly simplistic for my purposes.

Again, I add the caveat that I have not yet used the CS5 apps and am only musing on the features listings on the new pages. I could be totally pleased with everything once it shows up on my doorstep. Won't know until then.

• 10. Re: CS5 Website Info Now Active
                        Eric Addison User Group Manager
                        function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

SCAPsinger wrote:

Honestly, the most screwball update of all seems to be OnLocation's utillity for tapeless cameras. Nowhere does it seem to indicate that I can use my non-FireWire (non-DV) cameras in the same way as the DV cameras. The main thing I want to do with OnLocation is use the tools to check my image, capture onto my HDD (no transferring) and ...well, use it just like I used to use my DV camera. Who knows, I just cannot tell from the way the "new" feature is described exactly how it all will work.

Basically, OL still works like it ever did with DV cameras- it does have some improvments, but it works just like it ever did.

The new tapeless support works like this - say your shooting with an EX-3. While your on set, you can import a script from Story and create shot placeholders based on that script. Or if you don't have a script, you can jsut create shot placeholders manually. Then you set the time in OL to match that of your camera. When you're ready to shoot, highlight the shot your doing, and when you roll camera click on the timestamp button in OL to mark that take. After your done shooting, import all the clips from the SxS card, and then you can match up all the captured clips from the card to the timestamped placeholders in OL - all the meta data you pre-programmed in now lives with those shots.

OL can't capture anything other then DV or HDV through firewire because no camera sends anything other then those through it. Hopefully, Adobe will add capture card support to OL for CS6.

Hope that helps!

• 11. Re: CS5 Website Info Now Active
                          TradeWind Level 3

Thanks for the post Eric...completely understood on the IEEE 1394 specs and transfer limitiations, but there are (as you hinted) other ways to ingest footage such as SDI, or even HDMI. Or USB, for that matter. That was my concern, being able to use these other methods with OnLocation.