5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2010 5:13 AM by John Waller

Need help creating Duplicate spoof site/copy coding?

kakarotoni

Hello everyone, I am doing a project for my class and we need to find a site to duplicate and copy to make a spoof site. So for example if I wanted to make a spoof site of a site like walmart or gatorade I would have to right click the page to copy the source code, make it my own by pasting it onto dreamweaver and stealing the style sheets and what not. And then after that I would change the code, images, and text to make it a spoof site for my project.  However, is there a write up on how to do this step by step cause I forget certain elements that I need to copy the code and style sheets properly. Thanks in advance

• 2. Re: Need help creating Duplicate spoof site/copy coding?
          kakarotoni Level 1

Thanks, however I dont know how much that will help me because I am looking to do this method through dreamweaver only as it is required to do so.

• 3. Re: Need help creating Duplicate spoof site/copy coding?
            John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I must be missing something.

You cannot do it through Dreamweaver alone since you'd need to log onto the Walmart, Gatorade etc server to download their files. That's obviously not going to happen.

As I understand it, you're going to browse to their website, View Source in your browser then cut-and-paste the code into Dreamweaver file by file.

Seems unnecessary when software like HTTrack will do the heavy lifting of the files onto your hard drive quickly and easily.

Then you'd define a site in Dreamweaver using the files you've downloaded and create your spoof site.

I wonder why your class project doesn't ask you  to create a lookalike site from scratch without pinching files from the web which contain a lot of complex code. You'll learn much more doing it yourself.

• 4. Re: Need help creating Duplicate spoof site/copy coding?
              kakarotoni Level 1

Well the way my teacher showed me was to go to a website, copy the source code and paste it into dreamweaver.  Yea it shows up looking like crap, but

that is when you have to figure out the CSS style sheets.  You find the code, for example if I was to do nike.com.  And the CSS style sheet for

Nike is js/nikefolder/code/nike.css then I would take that part and copy and paste it onto the end of nike.com so it would show up as nike.com/js/nikefolder/code/nike.css onto my browser and I hit enter then the css code comes up.  I then copy that CSS code onto dreamweaver, create a CSS file, and then go back to the source code I copied and change where I want the css file to be found since I just copied the css source.

Yea sounds complicated cause it is.

I will try that site you showed me.

• 5. Re: Need help creating Duplicate spoof site/copy coding?
                John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Sure sounds like your teacher is getting you to do a lot of boring work for no real reason since the tools exist to do what you want quickly and easily.

I still think your teacher should be getting you to construct your own websites from scratch rather than spoofing existing high end ones which were created with a big budget and lots of skill which is not easy to pick up via deconstructing the site like you're attempting.