9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2010 3:40 PM by kishoreda-RrOFau

CS4 Working with 720p Footage

kishoreda-RrOFau Level 1

Windows 7 Ultimate

CS4 Premiere and AE

6GB Ram

Nvdia 9800GT

A little help as usual

I finally figured out that my JVC GY HD100 records 720p fooatge (HD 24p, HD30p) I am more interested in recording HD video , no SD.

i am little confused here as far as which recording mode to use for my next project (5 mins song) which works the best with CS4

Scott at Creative Cow helped me a bit by explaining the different formats (Thank You Scott)

Scott being more of a Final Cut Pro suggested to ask my question here , as I always do

i have to have my final outputs in 2 different formats

1. YouTube, which I totally understand which Preset to choose from the Presets and etc...

2. HD but I have to convert my final video back to SD (our channel plays only SD)

I was watching Jeff Bellune's tutorials , regarding "how to change HD to SD using Premiere CS4

link :

http://www.bellunevideo.com/tutvideo.php?tutid=10

He talk about 4 common HD formats

1. 1080p24

2. 1080i60

3. 720p60

4. 1080p30

The question that I have is:

From your experiences , which format will work better with CS4 ?

And when I render , which file output would you suggest !

The other thing that Scott suggested was not to change the PB output to 1080i or anything else, he wants me to leave it at "Native"

So far my guess is :

4. 1080p30

Is that about right to you

God Bless !

• 2. Re: CS4 Working with 720p Footage
          shooternz Level 6

Here's an idea.

You have a camera so shoot a test in each and make a sequence for each.

You will find out what works in your own system and learn heaps in the process.

• 3. Re: CS4 Working with 720p Footage
            kishoreda-RrOFau Level 1

Thanks Shooternz

One thing that confused me a the most is HD24p vs HD30p

Some people says use 24p if you are planning to convert your fooatge to Film, because Film uses 24fps as well

On the other hand Jeff Bellune on his tutorials says 24p is much smoother and catches the high motion better

than HD30p.

I live in NTSC land where everything is pretty much 29.97fps...correct?

I understand what you mean by recording a clip myself and check the result myself.

But i believe I'll still might make a mistake by selecting the right of mof recording and rendering it back to a wrong format .

Ok , here is what I am planning to do :

I'll be recording HD30p

leave my camera PB output to Native (whatever is reocorded, will be outputed)

I'll select a preset which matches my footage and after all edit, i am gonna render it to 720p or 1080p

Is that sound about right to you ?

Thanks !

• 4. Re: CS4 Working with 720p Footage
              shooternz Level 6

I'll select a preset which matches my footage and after all edit, i am gonna render it to 720p or 1080p

Is that sound about right to you ?

The first part sounds right - shoot and edit in a matched preset sequence.

....the next part (export / encoding) depends on what you are doing with the "movie"  ( you mentioned that your broadcast is only SD) and I think you mentioned YouTube.

Thats two different files you will need to export.  No problems to do that exept you will have to determine what you do for the SD version.

I would suggest that you could just imort your HD sequence into a SD Sequence and let it letterbox.

• 5. Re: CS4 Working with 720p Footage
                kishoreda-RrOFau Level 1

Ok thanks Shooternz

Ok , then let's get the idea s of hooting the 24p out of the way, I mean I'll do that only when I plan to convert my videos to Film, so as long as I don't have to convert anything to Film, I don't have worry about shooting 24p..correct ?

Now it leaves me with the choice of recording HD30p, using a HD30p Prest with in CS4, finish all my edits then choose the YouTube Preset from Media Emcoder to take care of YT.

Then i have to create a new SD project and Import all my  HD sequenes into that and then render as SD for our TV channel

What do you think ?

• 6. Re: CS4 Working with 720p Footage
                  shooternz Level 6

You dont need to create separate SD Project.

You can create a SD Sequence in the same Project (CS4)

BTW - ask your broadcaster if they are  true SD or if they are Full Height Anamorphic?

(Let me know and I will fill you in on how to work it ...if they are broadcasting FHA)

• 7. Re: CS4 Working with 720p Footage
                    kishoreda-RrOFau Level 1

Thanks Shooternz

Ok everything looks pretty much good , I guess by now I am pretty much ready to make some good changes to my videos in general.

The Satellite channel we broadcast is through Galaxy 25 KU, the technicians are not very educated as far as which exact video formats to use, but they say " as long as the video is in AVI for windows or Quicktime it should work" so basically SD format AVI and Quicktime videos.

Now the last question that I have is :

When a video is recorded Progressive then it needs to edited in Progressive Preset and when its ready for making the final Movie, it needs to be rendered Progressive as well ....Yes ? if Yes same procedures will apply to Interlaced ?

If same procedures apply to Interlaced then I had a Previous project, which was all AVCHD (1080i) footage

The reason I am asking that is because, when I finished adding effects and transitions to the Sequence , then I went and rendered my Sequence to make a movie, I chose H264 for Codec and I selected  HD1080i 29.97 High Quality Preset for CS4 to render.

Now , the picture looks good but in plays in slow motion and dont have audio.

what could be the problem !!

Thanks again !

• 8. Re: CS4 Working with 720p Footage
                      shooternz Level 6

Sorry. I dont have an answer for that.

• 9. Re: CS4 Working with 720p Footage
                        kishoreda-RrOFau Level 1

Thank You Shooternz !

You were a great help this far.

I appreciate your help

I am gonna do a little more research on that and I shall be Okay !