5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2010 6:39 AM by Bill Gehrke

Storage suggestions?

Tayedrummer Level 1

So I'm a DP who has hasn't seriouly edited anything since working in a linear 3/4" tape suite when I was a kid.  Seasons change and so does technology.  Now I'm looking to build a system for CS5 and trying to figure out what would be the best storage solution.  Most of you make your living editng so please give me the benefit of your experience.

I'll be editing h.264 Canon DSLR files as well as XDCamHD 4:2:2 MXF files.  New machine will be an i7 quad-core 64-bit Win7

System drive: Raid-0 2x 500Gb SATA 7200rpm?  Solid state seem the future for system drives but they're priced out of reach right now I'm guessing.

Video storage:  External storage, Firewire 800 or eSATA?  If going with a drive tower like http://www.cwol.com/serial-ata/sata-hardware-raid-enclosure.htm can the tower be connected directly to the system with a eSATA cable or does is need a 'port multiplier compliant card"?

Scratch disc:  Internal SATA 1Tb 7200rpm drive?

Penny for your thoughts...

• 2. Re: Storage suggestions?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Though I have 6x internals, I use a handful of FW-800 externals, both for storage and for migrating Projects between computers.

As I am doing only SD, those FW-800's have proved fine. Were I doing HD, or not so heavily invested in FW-800's, I'd definitely go eSATA. In new workstation, I will be adding eSATA, and all new externals will have eSATA connections. I will still use FW-800's, but that is because I have so many already, and most are for archiving "footage."

With the exception of those externals, that are ONLY for archiving, I only work with Copies of my Assets, whether on an external for migrating, or on internals. The originals are stored on my NAS, or on one of those "archive only" externals. The exception will be where the original was Captured from a tape-based camera, as I do not reuse tapes, and can always re-Capture from those - otherwise, I will just Copy over, as is needed.

Just one workflow.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 3. Re: Storage suggestions?
            Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Take a look at what is successful, on the PPBM4 (Premiere Pro BenchMark) site at the Benchmark Results page.  If you want to see what is good and bad in disk performance look at the disk intensive AVI Encoding column.

By the way do not go with a RAID 0 for you OS/Applications disk.  While it will speed loading your application, it WILL NOT speed up running your application.  When you are running an application it is running out of memory not the disk.  Also running RAID 0 on your OS/Application disk adds to the risk category and makes it much harder to recover if you do have an error because many recovery tools do not work on RAID arrays.

Message was edited by: Bill Gehrke

1 person found this helpful
            • 4. Re: Storage suggestions?
              Tayedrummer Level 1

Hey great link Bill!

So if I'm reading the suggestions correctly a CS5 system should look like:

i7 Quad-core, Win7 64bit, CUDA GPU

OS - 1TB SATA

Media - eSATA tower, hardware controlled, RAID-3

Scratch - 500Gb(ish) SATA

Output - 1Tb SATA

Now will the eSATA tower connect directly to the system or is a "port multiplier complient" eSATA card required?

• 5. Re: Storage suggestions?
                Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Tayedrummer wrote:

Hey great link Bill!

So if I'm reading the suggestions correctly a CS5 system should look like:

i7 Quad-core, Win7 64bit, CUDA GPU

OS - 1TB SATA

Media - eSATA tower, hardware controlled, RAID-3

Scratch - 500Gb(ish) SATA

Output - 1Tb SATA

Now will the eSATA tower connect directly to the system or is a "port multiplier complient" eSATA card required?

Well you partially read the information. For maximum performance

OS - VelociRaptor 150 GB is generally enough

Media/Project - Areca Controller with RAID Array

If you want other drives for Cache/Output/Preview that is optional but unless they are almost as fast as the RAID array testing with PPBM will show that they degrade performance slightly.