6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2010 10:56 AM by digitlman

No color bars

charles756

Using PPro Ver 4.2 CS4 on HP xw8400 with an Matrox Axio LE

Today I went to add color bars in my sequence like I've been able to do on many projects and I get black. The color bars match the sequence properties for frame size (1280 x 720) and the audio tone plays. If I make the bars 720 x 480 and drop them into the 1280 x 720 sequence they show up. If I take the same 1280x720 bars and scale them, I can see the color bars as I scale but they go black as soon as I try to play them. If I put the 720x480 bars on a layer above the 1280 x 720 bars, both sets of bars show up. Also there are no other video layers above the bars.

How do I get back to the simple task of putting bars & tone in a sequence?

• 1. Re: No color bars
          Harm Millaard Level 7

If I add new item/Bars and Tone and select the correct sequence properties (which by default match my sequence properties) I have no problems whatsoever.

• 2. Re: No color bars
            charles756 Level 1

I'm glad that works for you. However, your reply does not help me solve my problem.

• 3. Re: No color bars
              charles756 Level 1

As a work around I took the Premiere generated bars, loaded them into the source monitor (which loads up as black). Exported a frame as a TIFF file and reimported. I unlinked the bars & tone in the timeline. Replaced the video bars with my TIFF file import. The bars playout like normal now. I have put the exported bars TIFF in my export folder on the hard drive and will use this method until this issue is resolved.

• 4. Re: No color bars
                Harm Millaard Level 7

I don't know on what hardware (XW8400 comes in many flavors) under what OS with what sequence settings under what version (4.2.0 or 4.2.1). I can only tell you it works here, under different sequence settings. However Matrox always makes me suspicious.

A woman in a hot air balloon realized she was lost. She lowered her altitude and spotted a man in a boat below. She shouted to him, "Excuse me, can you help me? I promised a friend I would meet him an hour ago, but I don't know where I am."

The man consulted his portable GPS and replied, "You're in a hot air balloon approximately 30 feet above a ground elevation of 2346 feet above sea level. You are 31 degrees, 14.97 minutes north latitude and 100 degrees, 49.09 minutes west longitude."

She rolled her eyes and said, "You must be a Republican."

"I am," replied the man. "How did you know?"

"Well," answered the balloonist, "everything you told me is technically correct, but I have no idea what to make of your information, and I'm still lost. Frankly, you've not been much help to me."

The man smiled and responded, "You must be a Democrat."

"I am," replied the balloonist. "How did you know?"

"Well," said the man, "you don't know where you are or where you're going. You've risen to where you are due to a large quantity of hot air. You made a promise that you have no idea how to keep, and you expect me to solve your problem. You're in exactly the same position you were in before we met, but somehow now, it's my fault."

• 5. Re: No color bars
                  charles756 Level 1

I totally agree with you about Matrox. I have a work around so I'm cool. I just want to

get my work done.

• 6. Re: No color bars
                    digitlman Level 1

Yes it has been a problem for axio systems for awhile now and matrox is aware of it. We have 8 axio le systems and will load the same project on different machines and some will show bars and some wont. never really ironed out why, its completely random, some projects work and some dont. we rendered out an avi of bars and tone that we use. we have also run into a similar problem with the generated "black video" which will show up as color bars sometimes. we try to just create a black color matte for that instead.  these issues have been addressed on the matrox forums.