11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2010 9:30 AM by Ed.Macke

Sony DSC-TX1 MPEG4

Ed.Macke Level 3

Note: I had started a previous thread about a Canon PowerShot 1200 and how to get its Motion JPEG converted into a DV-AVI  format for editing. My question below was in that thread. I think it got lost among the shuffle, so I'm starting a new thread...

Instead of getting the Canon PowerShot 1200, we ended up getting a Sony  DSC-TX1 camera. This camera says it saves  HD vido (1280 x 720p, 30fps,  9Mbps) to MPEG4 format, but I'm still curious about editing the footage in PRE7.

In the prior Canon thread, I was pointed to a Muvipix article on converting video, but I'm still a little confused. It looks like this camera would fall into the "Hybrid Solutions" category(?): MPEGs  from Flash Drive Camcorders. It's really a P&S camera instead of a  camcorder, I think it still applies.

But, most of the conversion info talks  about converting to DV-AVI.

However, DV-AVI format won't support the 1280x720 HD specs, correct? So I'm  guessing I would need to convert it to something else. HDV / MPEG / M2T / M2TS  are all bandied about as options, but it's not real clear what the  ideal is, nor whether I could/should use the footage as-is from the camera in MPEG4 format.

Should I be converting before editing? If so, to what should I be converting and what would be the best tool to do that?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Sony DSC-TX1 MPEG4
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you need your video to remain hi-def so that you can create a BluRay disc, your best format to convert to is an MPEG/M2T (They're essentially the same format.) You most likely will not be able to edit that video in Premiere Elements in its native format.

Working with those hi-def MP4s (which are not standard AVCHD) can be kind of tricky though, since they often  use non-standard or proprietary codecs (such as 3ivx). I'm not sure which program to recommend you use for your conversion. But, if your camera came with software for editing your video, that would be a good place to start.

• 2. Re: Sony DSC-TX1 MPEG4
            Ed.Macke Level 3

Thanks, Steve.

OK, stupid question. Is MPEG another one of those wrapper deals, like AVI, where the actual format/codec contained within can be pretty much anything?

I ask because I'm starting with an MPEG4, but you say to convert to MPEG/M2T. OK, so what's the difference between MPEG4 and MPEG/M2T? Is MPEG/M2T one format (like DV-AVI versus AVI) or two separate formats?

As to the conversion, yes, it does come with "editing" software. I didn't install it because my PC has a Memory Stick Duo reader, so I was planning on just transferring the images (and video) from the memory card. Not a big fan of propietary software like that (Kodak's EasyShare software is another one), but I could try it out, I suppose. Just hope it doesn't install some bizarre CODEC or something that hoses my currently working environment!

• 3. Re: Sony DSC-TX1 MPEG4
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Ed,

MPEG is but a wrapper, and can contain a lot of different "stuff." It is not quite such a mixed-bag as AVI, but can have different CODEC's inside the wrapper.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Sony DSC-TX1 MPEG4

The only codec the editing software will install is the one you'll need to edit your video, if necessary. So that's not a bad thing

• 5. Re: Sony DSC-TX1 MPEG4
                  Ed.Macke Level 3

Step 1.

I tried importing the Sony video, as-is, into a new PRE project using HDV 720 preset. It worked, although I had to hit Enter to render the video and it took 36 seconds to render a 15 second clip. After rendering, the clip had a green bar.

Step 2.

I installed the Sony software, but it didn't appear to install any additional codecs - the gspot info was exactly the same before and after the installation.

The software itself only had rudimentary video editing, and the only conversion option was to export the video as WMV at a max resolution of 640x480.  Since it didn't appear to install any codecs that would be helpful and didn't offer any conversion functions, I uninstalled the Sony software.

Now.

While I'm glad PRE can import and render the video, I'd prefer to work with a format that doesn't require every clip to be rendered.

Given the gspot info below (the forum has attachments turned off, so I've typed in the info instead of a screen grab),

• Is there a different PRE preset I could use that wouldn't require rendering, or
                  • Is there a format I could convert to that wouldn't require rendering

GSpot Info:

Container:
                  MSNV: MPEG-4 (.MP4) for SonyPSP
                  - mp42: MP4 v2 (ISO 14496-14)
                  - isom: MP4 Base Media V1 (ISO 14496-12:20)

Audio:
                  Codec: mp4a: MPEG-4 AAC LC
                  Info: 24000Hz 64kb/s, mono
                  "1" is highlighted
                  Stat: Status Undetermined

Video:
                  Codec: mp4v
                  Name: MPEG-4 Video
                  MPG4 is highlighted
                  PVOP is highlighted
                  kbps: 9000
                  pic/s: 29.971
                  frame/s: 29.971
                  pic: 1280x720
                  sar: 16:9
                  par: 1.0 (1:1)
                  dar: 16:9

• 6. Re: Sony DSC-TX1 MPEG4
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    So that's not a bad thing

I think that we are in agreement here. I do not want a "bunch" of CODEC's installed on my system - just the ones that I need at any point, and I want to both know about it, and control it. That is one of the things that I like about my chosen conversion program, DigitalMedia Converter. It ONLY works with properly installed CODEC's and does not install any of its own.

With some programs and utilities, tons of CODEC's can get installed, and in many cases, good existing CODEC's will be overwritten by poor examples of the same CODEC. In most cases, I have paid good $ for specific CODEC's from the Source, and do not want those overwritten by "hacked," or "reverse-engineered" versions.

Also, there are many hundreds of CODEC's, that I have no need for, and do not want them filling up my Registry, slowing down load-times, etc. For me, it's just what I need, and when I need it.

Good luck to Ed,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Sony DSC-TX1 MPEG4
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      While I'm glad PRE can import and render the video, I'd prefer to work with a format that doesn't require every clip to be rendered.

Ed,

You probably have already mentioned it, and I just missed it, but how did this footage play, prior to Rendering?

Rendering is just for playback, so if one is getting adequate performance in playback, there is no need to Render. I complete many Projects and never Render once. However, and especially with Keyframing, etc., I might Render one area of the Timeline dozens of times, until I am positive that I have everything as I want it.

Just a thought, and good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Sony DSC-TX1 MPEG4

Our FAQs list a number of program that will convert that video to DV-AVIs (standard def). I'm not sure if they'll do high-def -- but, unless you ultimately plan to output a BluRay of your video, you might as well work in standard def. It's really the best solution for working in Premiere Elements.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

When DV-AVI is used in a standard DV project, you only have to render the video when you add effects or transitions to it.

• 9. Re: Sony DSC-TX1 MPEG4
                          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>hoses my currently working environment!

Make a full backup image of your hard drive before you install, so you may restore if needed... the product I use is mentioned in my notes at http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/ADOBE.HTM#SmartOwn

I make full backups to a USB drive

• 10. Re: Sony DSC-TX1 MPEG4
                            Ed.Macke Level 3

Dang it. I did not try playing before I rendered. I saw the red bar and thought: have to render, and so I did. Years of habit, I guess.

Until now, I've only worked with DV-AVI and routinely hit Enter to render. It usually only takes a few seconds to render any un-rendered stuff and makes everything smoother, so it's just become kind of automatic.

The video did play fine in Windows itself (by double-clicking the MP4 file and using the default viewer, which I think I have set to VLC media player), and also later using the Sony software while it was briefly installed.

• 11. Re: Sony DSC-TX1 MPEG4
                              Ed.Macke Level 3

Thanks, Steve. I've perused that thread before, as well as your article on Muvipix... very helpful, thanks!!

Right now, SD would probably be fine since my final output would probably be to YouTube (or similar) or DVD. But I could definitely forsee doing BluRay projects in the not-too-distant future. Converting to SD DV-AVI today would mean I'd have no HD source for tomorrow.

So I guess Option 1 would be to keep the original HD MP4 *AND* the converted SD DV-AVI. I'd use SD for today's projects, and HD for tomorrow's. But I'd have the obvious overhead of keeping and backing up 2 copies of everything.

Option 2 would be to convert the MP4 to PRE-friendly HD format. For today's projects, I'd use HD source, and PRE would down-rez to SD for the final output as needed (whether to WMV, DVD, FLV, or whatever).

Thoughts?