9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2010 10:07 PM by the_wine_snob

PrPro CS5: Dolby digital 5.1

BobBenson Level 1

Can you burn a blu-ray disk or image with dolby digital 5.1 with Pro 5.0 or do you still have to buy a $295 plug-in?

• 1. Re: PrPro CS5: Dolby digital 5.1
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Minnetonka Surcode is still required.

• 2. Re: PrPro CS5: Dolby digital 5.1
            BJBBJB1 Level 1

Harm,

That is unfortunate that they still did not include the encoder.

Has the workflow been modified such that if you have the Minnetonka Surrcode (assume the CS4 version will migrate to CS5) that you can go from Premiere Pro to Encore without exporting your video and 5.1 audio separately?

BJB1

• 3. Re: PrPro CS5: Dolby digital 5.1
              Harm Millaard Level 7

I expect you can migrate to CS5, but the workflow will still be the same as it has always been, elementary streams, so separate video and audio streams, nothing multiplexed.

• 4. Re: PrPro CS5: Dolby digital 5.1
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Please be aware that if one buys the SurCode DD 5.1 SS encoder plug-in from within PrPro, there is a discount for being an Adobe user, of about US $50. Not enough to buy gold with, but worth buying from within PrPro.

BTW, the majority of the cost of that plug-in is due to licensing fees to Dolby Labs. Adobe gets nothing, and Minnetonka Audio gets little.

Glad that Harm confirmed that the Encore process was still the same, as that was a question that I have had, as I use DD 5.1 SS in most Projects. Thanks Harm.

Hunt

• 5. Re: PrPro CS5: Dolby digital 5.1
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Harm,

Thanks for that. I'll have to check with Minnetonka Audio, to see if my unlock keys will work with CS5.

While I'd really like full ADL support, that Export/Import workflow is something that I am used to already, so no deal-breaker.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 6. Re: PrPro CS5: Dolby digital 5.1
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Bill,

They are not inclined to give out much information before the final release of CS5, so hold your breath.

• 7. Re: PrPro CS5: Dolby digital 5.1
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

I can do that, as I have to first get the specs for a new workstation (after I pay my US taxes, that would buy a real super-computer), and then get ready. I am not in the rush, that many are in. Still, sounds like some real neat features - so long as they work. [Keep thinking of speech transcription there.]

Gonna' be a fun time coming up. Just takes some $ and some time.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 8. Re: PrPro CS5: Dolby digital 5.1
                        BJBBJB1 Level 1

Thanks to you both I'll be joining the CS5 club eventually...been using CS4 since day one.  However PP only recently thanks to your help among others.  My transition from "another" NLE is almost complete.  An integrated 5.1 workflow into Encore would sure have been nice for those of us not used to the workaround.....I am close to moving a project down that path so I'll be referring to some of your prior posts shortly!

I do need to post something in the editing section though.  The way PP does "handles" and transitions is a bit different to what I am used to. That's for another post though.

Thanks again,
                        BJBBJB1

• 9. Re: PrPro CS5: Dolby digital 5.1
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Most welcome.

I was a bit surprised that DD 5.1 SS was not included in ADL, but considering the 3rd party aspect, I can see why.

I wonder if Adobe has looked into including the SurCode plug-in, and just adding the cost to the upgrade/price? On one hand, that would simplify things, but on the other hand, just a few $'s in price-points can make a big difference.

For me, I am hoping that my SurCode unlock keys will work in CS5. Time will tell.

Good luck,

Hunt