10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2010 3:58 PM by John T Smith

Video Capture format

Deaner77 Level 1

When I capture video off my Sony DCR-VX2000, I always get an AVI file. Is it possible tho get an MPEG-2? I couldn't find any place to change the file format on capture.

Thanks,

Dean

• 1. Re: Video Capture format
          Curt Wrigley Level 4

On a PC;  DV is captured as AVI ;  HDV is captured as a form of MPG2

• 2. Re: Video Capture format
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Post the exact steps you now follow

Doing a "capture" is taken to mean using a digitizing device of some kind to convert analog video to digital

Doing a "transfer" using Firewire is simply a byte-for-byte transfer of an existing digital file

Using USB to copy files from a dvd/harddrive/memory camcorder produces digital files that do not always edit well in Premiere

• 3. Re: Video Capture format
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Dean,

Be glad that your VX-2000 captures in AVI format. It would be a serious loss to editing comfort and end-quality if it were captured or converted to MPEG2.

Do not even consider doing that.

• 4. Re: Video Capture format
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Dean,

As MPEG-2 is a heavily-compressed, GOP structure, it is not meant for editing. If you plan on doing any editing, you WILL want DV-AVI, and then can Export to MPEG-2 for authoring a DVD-Video. You do not want that until the very end, and certainly not part of an editing workflow.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Video Capture format
                  Angus(silentG) Level 1

You guys must be either seriously bored, or in some sort of competition.

• 6. Re: Video Capture format
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    You guys must be either seriously bored, or in some sort of competition.

Huh?

Hunt

• 7. Re: Video Capture format
                      Deaner77 Level 1

@ John,

I use Premiere Pro CS4's Capture utility to convert my mini-dv to an AVI.

@ everyone else...

The reason I ask this seemingly silly question is because I just purchased Elemental Accelerator (EA) 2.2 to take advantage of my Nvidea 4800 video card for video exports. However, EA support told me that to take full advantage of the software, the file must first be in MPEG-2 or H.264. ...which seems odd since that is the format that it exports out as.

Sort ot like saying I can clean your bathroom, but if it's already clean, I can do it faster.

Anyway...anyone have any experience with Elemental Accelerator? Wondering now if it was a good purchase.

• 8. Re: Video Capture format
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        The reason I ask this seemingly silly question is because I just purchased Elemental Accelerator (EA) 2.2 to take advantage of my Nvidea 4800 video card for video exports. However, EA support told me that to take full advantage of the software, the file must first be in MPEG-2 or H.264. ...which seems odd since that is the format that it exports out as.

I agree that the instructions seem odd, indeed. The purpose of EA is to Transcode to either of those two MPEG formats. Must have been a missing, critical word somewhere.

It would be like saying that I have this neat black box, that turns water into wine. First step - do not use water, but pour in wine...

The last thing that one wants is to first compress to MPEG-2, and then Transcode/Export to MPEG-2.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Video Capture format
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

Go for a refund. EA does nothing to your work flow and several users here and in other forums have returned EA and got a refund, saying it was not worth the money and I believe them. Just wait for the end of May and get CS5 with MPE. Then EA is completely worthless.

• 10. Re: Video Capture format
                            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>@ John, I use Premiere Pro CS4's Capture utility to convert my mini-dv to an AVI.

Just for clarity... you are not converting anything... a Firewire TRANSFER is simply a glorified serial port that connects to your camcorder and copies an existing digital file from tape to computer

For SD (Standard Definition) that will be DV AVI type 2 with 48khz sound (should be 48khz, unless you have an odd camera setting) for HD that will be HDV, which I don't use so don't have more info