12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2010 9:13 AM by XxMontyxX

Stereoscopic Monitoring

XxMontyxX Level 1

Hello!

I've been scouring the net and searching Adobe and NVidia's products looking for any information regarding stereoscopic postproduction.  There seems to be many solutions, but none that speak to my specific issue.  I'm fine with the workarounds discussed in the Lydia training and other ways of working like SVI's Spatial View plugin.  I can create and work in stereo, but I can only view the dimensionalization with anaglyph.  I'd like to somehow feed the stereo signal to a stereo flat panel or computer screen with active or passive glasses enabled, and be able to work the same as if I was creating monoscopic content.

Anyone have any success monitoring with interleaved/muxed stereo signals directly out of AE?  Has anyone heard any rumors regarding stereo integration in After Effects CS5?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Stereoscopic Monitoring
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

That would require a whole different rendering infrastructure in AE, so no, it's not possible. Just like AE cannot preview fields, it cannot render the required buffers for "proper" stereo. Maybe in CS6...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Stereoscopic Monitoring
            yenaphe Level 4

You won't be able to preview realtime in "polarized" 3D with AE, but you can export your L & R views separatly and you'll be able to play in Nvidia 3D player (and you can play a lot of diifferent 3D stream in it) with nvidias 3D polarizded glasses if you have a compatible Nvidia Gfx card and a 120Hz screen.

• 3. Re: Stereoscopic Monitoring
              XxMontyxX Level 1

Great.  Thanks for the response guys.  Hopefully AE or third party developer (didn't Adobe open the render preview architecture to third party) will develop more intuitive tools in the near-future.

• 4. Re: Stereoscopic Monitoring
                XxMontyxX Level 1

So what is the reasoning that Cineform can produce a plugin for Premier that will let you monitor

3D but not AE? Is it a Mercury Playback thing or what?

Neo3D — The Basics: The underpinning of Neo3D is the creation and  use of a CineForm 3D QuickTime or AVI file that contain  temporally-aligned Left and Right eyes. Each eye contains full  spatial  resolution suitable for online workflows. CineForm 3D files are created  such that they are interpreted by all QuickTime or AVI applications  as  if they were traditional 2D files. This allows virtually all MOV and AVI  compatible applications to edit CineForm's stereo files. This  "trickery" to the calling application happens beneath the QuickTime or  DirectShow layers where CineForm�s Neo3D blends Left and Right eye  information in  into 3D HD frames which are passed to (and through) the  calling application without its knowledge.

• 5. Re: Stereoscopic Monitoring
                  yenaphe Level 4

The difference is that Premiere Pro is an Editing software oriented to real time work as editors needs to, and AE is a post-production tool for heavy graphic work and visual effects, thus not at all oriented for realtime work.

2 differents philosophies, and in result two different working schemes. They both were engeneered very differently, and that's why you can do previewing more easily in Ppro than in AE.

• 6. Re: Stereoscopic Monitoring
                    XxMontyxX Level 1

Sebastian, if you'll notice, the Cineform magic happens upstream from the application at the f

ile format level.  It has nothing to do with render architecture or host application from what I'm understanding.

• 7. Re: Stereoscopic Monitoring
                      yenaphe Level 4

I've just read the neo 3D page. It simple packages 3D/stereo video into Quicktime movies / Avi movies for other application to use (with several 3D mode availables). They even list After Effects in it as a compatible application.

But you won't be able to treat differently the 2 "eyes" as the file is concidered as a 2D standard movie, then avoiding working in "true" stereoscopy in AE (with 2 comps / 2 cameras, ...) So I'm not sure to understand your question (english is not my native language).

• 8. Re: Stereoscopic Monitoring
                        XxMontyxX Level 1

So I'm wondering if you can perform "Depth Corrections" to the footage while viewing on a 120Hz monitor at least.  Possibly there is a workflow to combine Cineform tools and precomp workflows.  There is definitely a serious gap in tools and workflows when it comes to AE.  They're usually ahead of the game when it comes to niche formats.  In Stereo3D, that doesn't seem to be the case.

• 9. Re: Stereoscopic Monitoring
                          Christoph_Keller Level 1

You can check out my stereo scripts... http://www.vimeo.com/10701501

But no matter how you create your preview, I found this workaround for an external 3D monitor: Connect the 3D monitor to your second video output. Open your left and right image (side-by-side or interlaced, depending on your monitor) in a new panel, lock the viewer, drag the panel to the second monitor, maximize it and hide all the icons (there are shortcuts for this).

Hope this helps. Good luck!

-Chris

• 10. Re: Stereoscopic Monitoring
                            XxMontyxX Level 1

Thanks Christopher.  I am currently trying to learn your plugins.  They are a nice a powerful little suite of tools.  I especially like the StereoPhoto Maker settings import.

I will also have to try your workflow (once I have a 3D monitor).  How do you get an interlaced preview?  Does the monitor know to break out every other line or what?  I thought you needed some sort of hardware to sync the picture with the glasses?

• 11. Re: Stereoscopic Monitoring
                              Christoph_Keller Level 1

Hi,

the 3D glasses effect (that can be used with my STEREO VIEWER script) can output a spatially interlaced image. To be honest, I haven't tried this with a 3D monitor, but I think that every 3D monitor that accepts this format can display a proper 3D image from the output. If the monitor expects fields, things may change...

One thing that should certainly work: You can connected a Matrox Dualhead to the second monitor output and show a fullscreen side-by-side viewer on its Desktop. The Dualhead then splits left and right into separate streams, and you can feed these two cables into any 3D monitor that accepts two inputs.

Best,

-Chris

• 12. Re: Stereoscopic Monitoring
                                XxMontyxX Level 1

Would anyone care to weigh in with some speculation?  If Adobe DID integrate S3D would it be safe to assume that Nvidia would support it (as opposed to AJA/BMD/ATI)?