4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2010 5:30 AM by Lichtzeichenanlage

Is it possible to calculated export path per image and to have an export dialog?

Lichtzeichenanlage Level 1

Hi,

if I understood the export dialog correctly, then size, target path, etc. defined once and are applyed to all selected images within the rendition. Is it possible that I can change  programmaticaly the destination path for each image or set by the new image size per picture e.g. based on keywords or custom date?

If yes I need a hook (documentation, sample, etc.) to get into this business

rgds

Anders

• 1. Re: Is it possible to calculated export path per image and to have an export dialog?
          JW Stephenson Level 4

Anders,

You certainly can change the destination path after the image is generated in LR.  I have several export/post-process routines that render the image to a temp directory and then I move/rename it to where I want it (and optionally add it back to the catalog) using primarily the LRFileUtils namespace utilities.  You cannot change the image size or jpeg compression, etc. on a image-by-image basis.  It has been requested along with other similar image-by-image features. Many of us want it and their is some possibility it will show up in LR3 SDK but I am not holding my breath.

Sorry this isn't much help but it might keep you from going crazy looking for something that doesn't yet exist.  There may also be workarounds for what you are trying to do.  Hopefully others will post with ideas.

Jeff

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Is it possible to calculated export path per image and to have an export dialog?

Hi Jeff,

at least it is a partial "yes". A clear yes for changing the destination and an no for adjusting the the size.

Okay - by reading some of the threads here in the forum I found an articel where someone creates a couple of different sizes for an image within an export session by creating new export sessions. Event if this is a dirty hack and performance goes down, this might be a workaround. what do you think?

Anders

• 3. Re: Is it possible to calculated export path per image and to have an export dialog?
              JW Stephenson Level 4

Anders,

Assuming you pre-determine your sizes before the routine starts (say two or more different sliders) I am pretty sure you will be able to export all selected images, creating one export session for each size.  Should work but I haven't actually nested export routines before.

You are probably looking for something more clever that might use existing metadata to determine the size and adjust programatically.  A routine could possibly be designed to look at an image, calculate a size and start a new export task for that single image using that newly created size by initializing the export parameters for that on-the-fly created export routine moving on to the next selected image and repeating in a loop until completed.  Although you might be able to do this, there is probably a limit in how many tasks can operate simultaneously so you might need to add a pause in your loop to keep that number down.  Watch your memory meter to make sure each session properly releases memory or that might stop your processing as well.

Regardless of which hack you try (or both) I am interested in whether you succeed, and if you don't mind sharing some of the key code snippets that would be great.  By the way, when testing these crazy things, I open up a "test" catalog - particularly when using file utilities.  Has saved some heartache.

Jeff

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Is it possible to calculated export path per image and to have an export dialog?

Hi Jeff,

Becaus I am new to LUA and the LR SDK I go for an simpler exercise to get more familiar with with the stuff.

rgds - Anders