14 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2010 7:53 AM by the_wine_snob

Preview not Playing Properly

kmcnet

Hello everyone and thanks for your help in advance.  I am new to Premiere CS4 and am just learning to edit video with it.  After importing a few clips and dragging them to the timeline, I try to play a preview.  However, when doing so, the picture freezes in spots, while the audio plays mostly fine.  Because of this, editing becomes very difficult.  I have tried closing all other applications and even rebooted the machine in the event it is a memory issue. While not the latest and greatest laptop, it has 2 GHZ Pentium, 2 GB of RAM and 320 GB SATA drive so it think the harware is sufficient.  Any help on this problem would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Preview not Playing Properly
          shooternz Level 6

Your hardware and system is not up to it at many levels.

• 2. Re: Preview not Playing Properly
            the_wine_snob Level 9

This is probably an issue with your source footage. Can you give us the complete specs of that footage?

Next, it could be your Project/Sequence Preset. What are the settings there?

Last, it could be your system. Can you furnish the complete details, especially the I/O sub-system?

This ARTICLE will give you some tips on the info that is necessary, and how to get much of it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Preview not Playing Properly
              shooternz Level 6
              it has 2 GHZ Pentium, 2 GB of RAM and 320 GB SATA drive

and its a laptop!

• 4. Re: Preview not Playing Properly
                kmcnet Level 1

Since I am a NEWBIE, could you please be more specific on what I need?  My hardware meets the minimum specs, but obviously minimum specs don't work.  So what do I really need?

Hard drive is a 7200 RPM SATA inside the laptop.  320 GB total space with 100 GB free.  Defragmented today.  Paging file is 2046 MB.  Windows XP Pro SP2.

Importing HD video from Sony HDD camera.

Please let me know what else you need to know.

• 5. Re: Preview not Playing Properly
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, a single HDD will be an issue with editing and playback. I was hoping that you had more, and just had not listed them.

A bit of background - with one HDD, the OS, the program, the Page File and the media all battle one another for reads and writes. Having 3x SATA II (or higher) 7200 RPM HDD's is getting to the real-world minimum. Two is better than one, but three is where one really starts to see improvement.

A good allocation would be:

C:\ OS, programs, and probably the Page File

D:\ Projects and Scratch Disks

E:\ Media files (see below)

With HD media, a media drive in a RAID 0-class Array, with a dedicated controller w/ on-board memory, is recommended.

Personally, I have a major issue with the published "minimum system requirements." They will allow for the program to install. Actually editing, especially with HD material, is another issue. I feel that Adobe needs to kick these requirements up, and save a lot of frustration on the part of users.

As for the full spes. on those Sony files, can you run one through the great, free utility, G-SPOT, and post a screen-cap from G-Spot?

I fear that you will likely have issues with HD on your laptop.

One other comment: 100GB sounds like a lot of room, BUT, if your Page File is dynamically managed, with that 2GB RAM, it will grow exponentially, plus PrPro requires large "working files," just to run. Files, such as the CFA's (Conformed Audio to 32-bit floating point, for editing), are very large, and during editing, are necessary.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Preview not Playing Properly
                    kmcnet Level 1

Is there anything I can do to augment the current hardware i.e. add external drives, memory, etc?

I will run the videos throught the utility.

Thanks for the help.

• 7. Re: Preview not Playing Properly
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

There is not that much with a laptop.

Now, RAM to the max of the MoBo and the OS, will be helpful, and it's cheap so any "bang for the $" should be good.

I highly doubt that you can add more HDD's to the laptop. That was one reason that I went with the Sager, as it offered 3x 200GB SATA II's, and then I keep #3 empty, and allocated only my Page File to #2, with programs and OS on #1 (well, to be 100% accurate, that should be HDD 2, HDD1 and HDD0, but you get the picture).

Since I migrate my Projects between the laptop and my workstation, I use FW-800 external HDD's (all with their individual drive letters set in the OS of each computer). I keep the Projects and Scratch Disks (folders) on there, plus Copies (important) of all Assets.

I'd look into either FW-800's, or eSATA externals. With either, you will need to look into a controller card, in either PCMCIA, or ExpressCard (depends on your laptop), and I would go with a multi-chip card, if possible. Also, check the BIOS on your MoBo, to make sure that it can work with either the IEEE-1394b, or the eSATA.

Then, set the drive letter of any of these externals, so that they always register the same. Copy your Assets to the Project folder in the Project folder hierarchy (Moving those originals to another external for archiving purposes), and then work from there. For existing Projects, you will need to re-link the Assets, but PrPro makes that easy. This will free up more space on your internal HDD.

Were I not so heavily invested in FW-800's, I would only be using eSATA's. With eSATA, you will have essentially extended your I/O sub-system, so they would be the best - just check the BIOS carefully, and do go for a multi-chip card of the appropriate configuration.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Preview not Playing Properly
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Along the lines of getting the most out of your system, this ARTICLE might be useful for paring things down, to get lean, mean and clean.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Preview not Playing Properly
                          kmcnet Level 1

Once again, thanks for the response and assistance.  One last question I am a little confused with.  I fully understand the need for memory and CPU power and realize their importance in this mix.  However, the disk drive comments leave me confused as I do not understand why multiple disks, either internal or external make a significant difference.  Would you please explain this further?  Would I possibly solve my problem by purchasing an external eSata and paring down the open applications with msconfig?  Also, I understand these hardware requirements for real professional editors, but I am surprised you need that to do anything at all.

Thanks again.

• 10. Re: Preview not Playing Properly
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Let's say you get 10 friends over for a 5 course dinner. You need to set the table, you need to cook all courses and you can't do all things at the same time. Now if you have no one to help you, it will take a lot more time to get everything ready than when you had two or three people helping you, one to set the table, one to prepare the vegetables, one the meat or fish, and one for the starter and desserts.

The same applies to disks. If you have only one disk, it will take a lot more time to accomplish everything that must be done than when you can split up all the activities over multiple disks. Three disks is about the minimum number of disks for comfortable editing.

BTW, your laptop is way underpowered and far below minimum requirements. Adobe has already removed / changed the link to CS4 system requirements to CS5, but for CS4 it was a 2.8 GHz Pentium as minimum and a DEDICATED 7200 SATA drive. CS5 requires even more horsepower: Adobe Premiere Pro CS5: System Requirements

1 person found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: Preview not Playing Properly
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Harm said it better, than I could have.

With the exception of AVCHD, which is highly CPU dependent for playback and editing, the I/O sub-system, i.e. the HDD's, carry the bulk of the load. If one HDD is tied up with the OS, the program and the Page File, it does not have time for playback, or working with media. By spreading the workload around, one gets much better throughput, divided amongst the HDD's.

See why I like Harm's analogy better?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Preview not Playing Properly
                                kmcnet Level 1

Thanks again for the response.  So I might pick up enough performance value for small projects by placing the assets on an external HDD?

• 13. Re: Preview not Playing Properly
                                  Harm Millaard Level 7

If the external is an eSATA drive, yes, if it is a USB drive, you may get some marginal improvement if you only deal with DV material and you have only a few other USB devices connected.

• 14. Re: Preview not Playing Properly
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

This will depend on the connection type for the externals. With eSATA, you will likely see a real-world difference. With FW-800, probably a little. With FW-400, or especially USB, probably none at all.

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] Harm is quick this AM!