13 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2010 3:04 AM by the_wine_snob

Problems importing DVD video files into CS3

yellowstonemcclung Level 1

Hello!

We own a copy of a guest service video that I'm trying to edit down for a condensed version used in our in-house training.

I use PP CS3 and have saved the video files off onto my hard drive, but they are not importing into PP.   I'm having a non-supported format error message.

The files look just like those I saved and imported successfully from our corporate orientation DVD, except for file extensions that are showing up on these guest service files;  where they did not on my first project.

These new file names are:  VIDEO_TS.IFO,  VIDEO_TS.VOB   and   VIDEO_TS.BUP.

Any wisdom would be appreciated!    I'm wondering if they are encrypted or secured, but the DVD is from 2001 and it seems unlikely.

Thanks!

M

• 1. Re: Problems importing DVD video files into CS3
          the_wine_snob Level 9

It was not until CS4.2, that PrPro added the Importation of VOB files. You will want to rip the MPEG-2's from the VOB's. You might be able to just rename the file extensions from VOB to MPEG, and get lucky.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Problems importing DVD video files into CS3
            the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE will give you background on VOB's, the main building blocks of DVD-Video, and give you some tips on other methods of getting to the MPEG-2's inside of the VOB's.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Problems importing DVD video files into CS3

Thanks, Bill.

That was a great article and it really helped me understand what's inside those files!

adding the .mpeg extension didn't help, because the file still shows up in bridge with the .vob tacked on the end...end of .mpeg, in this case.  With no way to wipe it off and keep it off.

Seems the structure of this video file may not let me pull out those mpegs.  I'm going to play with it a little more tomorrow.

Thanks again for the great information!

Mary

• 4. Re: Problems importing DVD video files into CS3
                Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Change the .vob extention to .mpg. Dont add it.

Like this: VIDEO_TS.VOB  change to  VIDEO_TS.mpg

Best done in the Windows Explorer.

• 5. Re: Problems importing DVD video files into CS3
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Ann,

Thanks for that clarification. I do not think that I was clear on that. Will look at my article too, just in case I need to be more explicit there too.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Problems importing DVD video files into CS3

My thanks to both of you!

I'm going to dig deep, swap extensions again, and see what happens!

My appreciation for all your help....

Mary

• 7. Re: Problems importing DVD video files into CS3
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Mary,

Good luck, and sorry that I was not quite as clear, as I should have been, regarding the file extensions. Thanks to your thread, and Ann's comments, I have amended my article to explain the file extensions "trick" a bit better.

Also, as per that article, remember that a VOB can contain more than just the MPEG-2 AV files, especially the very first VOB. Depending on what is in that VOB "container," and how it was written, there could still be issues.

Should you run into problems, please see the link to Neil Wilkes' Encore FAQ Entry, on ripping. There are several other links in that article, that might be helpful.

If your DVD was created by Adobe Encore, it will be 100% DVD-compliant and should just Import with no issues. If done by Roxio, Nero, some other authoring apps., or written from a DVR, or VHS-DVD deck, then all bets are off, as they do not write 100% DVD-compliant discs, in most cases.

Again, good luck, and let us know how it goes,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Problems importing DVD video files into CS3

Thanks, Bill!

I'm on my own with creating video here at work, and you and Ann gave me information about something I've done successfully before, and had no idea why.

Being an old, crusty, graphic artist and photographer, I have plenty of Adobe experience.  And, although I've pulled a few nice video compilations and even some formal short movies out of my hat, it's all still somewhat Greek to me!

I'm going to re-read your article and try Ann's other extension suggestion.

Have a great week!

Mary

• 9. Re: Problems importing DVD video files into CS3
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Mary,

I understand. I came to video from a similar background, though I did have a degree from film school, as a foundation. Back then, video was live feed, or archived to 2" tape, that could only be edited with tape and a splicing block. They did not even have deck-to-deck editing yet.

I'd spent decades with PS and AI, before I came to PrPro and to digital video. Since there was a 3-decade lag between my cine days, and when I first hit PrPro, I still have a lot to learn, and that's my main purpose for spending time in this forum - learning.

Good luck, and hope that the material can be Imported and edited just fine. Now, the MPEG-2 format/CODEC is not ideal and on several fronts, especially quality, it can be done, and done pretty well. It's the variables, that can get in the way, and sometimes, one has to side-step those with maybe ripping software, or other processes, many of which are covered in that article. More than one way to "skin the cat... " Right now, we're X'ing our fingers that the simple method will work. If not, do not give up, as there ARE other things that should get you editing.

Hunt

• 10. Re: Problems importing DVD video files into CS3

Oh, and one more question.

What's in the red wine glass?

• 11. Re: Problems importing DVD video files into CS3
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

IIRC, that was a Brewer-Clifton Santa Rita Hills Pinot Noir, that we were drinking at Peter Merriman's, Kapalua, HI. My wife was doing some sunset shots, and caught me in an "unguarded" moment.

Hunt

PS - in my old, double red-wine avatar, the one on the left was a Barolo and the one on the right a Zinfandel.

• 12. Re: Problems importing DVD video files into CS3

Ahh...  my fellow townsfolk would be in a large state of jealousy.   The selection of wines available "out there" is outstanding, I'm sure!   I'll have to try and track the Brewer-Clifton.  Everyone loves a good Pinot, and it becomes a challenge to procure something new; here in the land of buffalo and geysers.

• 13. Re: Problems importing DVD video files into CS3
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

For some PN discussions, this THREAD in the Lounge might be of interest.

Brewer-Clifton does about 4 single-vineyard, or sub-AVA PN's normally, and then several more depending on the year and availability.

Another similar producer is Whitcraft, but with fewer separate offerings.

I'm also a big fan of several other, mostly "Central" CA producers of PN's.

Hunt