2 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2010 2:04 AM by Linus Lim

How do I do this?

matsuka

Example this logo http://www.snapnames.com//images/SnapNamesLogo.gif

The elements have a "white" outline to them with transparent background.

I don't know what the "outline" is called, or how I do this in Fireworks when I export the image.

I hope you know what I am talking about! Sorry for the noob question. I hope you can help.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: How do I do this?
          pixlor Level 4

You start with an image that has a transparent canvas. You can always change the canvas color from white to transparent by going to

Modify > Canvas > Canvas Color...

The text you just set on the image, as usual.

The red and grey shape doesn't have a white outline, it's just that setting the transparent image on a white page makes it look that way. To make a similar kind of object, you would need four vector objects.

Here's how you might go about something like your example

• Start with a red ellipse and a grey ellipse, the same size, and in the same position.
          • The middle cut-out looks like an S in a script font, but it might just be a random shape. If you use a character, make sure to convert to paths and you may need to ungroup.
          • Get your S-shape (or any shape that you want to use to cut out the center) set up the way you want it, then duplicate it.
          • In the layers palette, arrange your objects so you have (top to bottom) S-shape, oval, S-shape, oval.
          • Select the top S-shape and oval, then go to Modify > Combine Paths > Punch
          • Use the sub-select tool (the white-headed arrow) to select and delete the points of the object you don't want, either singly or by drawing a rectangle around multiple points.
          • Hide this first cut object.
          • Select the other S-shape and oval, punch, and delete unwanted points.
          • Show the first cut object.

And...I think that should get you in the right area.
          • 2. Re: How do I do this?
            Linus Lim Level 1

to me it looks like just transparent gif with white matte

nothing custom to achieve