7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2010 11:46 AM by Ian750

after effects feature

Ian750 Level 1

I wanted to ask if the Content Aware Fill feature (revealed in PS) was also available in AfterEffects, as an alternative to the clone tool?

• 1. Re: after effects feature
          Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

No it's not.  But these days, with Photoshop able to work directly with video files, it is possible to use the tool directly on video content, albeit frame by frame.

• 2. Re: after effects feature
            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I haven't used the tool myself yet, but I'm guessing you would get a lot of chatter if you tried that.

• 3. Re: after effects feature
              Ian750 Level 1

Hi Andrew,

I also agree that the CAF wouldn't work that well in AE for frame-to-frame consistency, but I have another question regarding the use of Photoshop to fix video frames. Maybe this isn't the forum for this, but if I output a sequence of PSD files from AE into Photoshop, do you know if it's possible to automate the healing brush or CAF to deal with common areas over multiple frames (many hundreds),  and then, import them back into AE as video?

Thx, Ian

• 4. Re: after effects feature
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I highly doubt it. PS has not a single piece of code that is aware of the concept of time, so any analysis will be solely based on spatial properties and be different for each frame. I don't see your problem, though. Tools like Power Matte or RevisionFX' RE:Fill have been around forever, at least allowing some of the functionality for smaller areas, which is probably what you would want in video, anyway. If something is so fundamentally disturbing in frame that it would require content aware fill/ clone, then the footage is probably shot completely wrong and the scene needs to be redone from the ground up.

Mylenium

• 5. Re: after effects feature
                  Ian750 Level 1

Thanks for the tip about Revision Re:Fill, that plugin has some interesting features worth looking into. Yea, the film being restored does have some problems, but it was shot about 30 years ago so refilming isn't an option.  There was a flaw in the film plane for the first 15 minutes of the film, which is why I have been looking for a semi-automated repair method.  The clone tool in AE has been a great help, but it's a long slog one frame at a time, especially with a constantly changing background, and I've got several thousand frames left.   So, and any suggestions for tools to help in this process are most welcomed. Thx

• 6. Re: after effects feature
                    Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Have you considered a dedicated film restauration tool like PFClean (in combo with PFTrack)? If it's for a commercial project and you have a budget, it might be worth to get a rental license for one or two months....

Mylenium

• 7. Re: after effects feature
                      Ian750 Level 1

Thanks for the suggestion,  PFClean looks like a powerful app. I've sent a query off to the PixelFarm for more info.

Cheers